The Primaris Space Marines and the Space Wolves

Filius

I am also now less optimistic of SW being Primarisized as I wonder how GW will justify the pack mentality voluntarily breaking up into smaller units to just be like every other chapter with Primaris Marines.

It's easy if you now add a big mortality to the process... at least initially. Then, with more new models replacing old marines, the primarization will be perfected and... 

I have no problem getting rid of my old scale Marines, my issue involves retaining that flavor with a Primaris SW army, it that will even be possible. In fact if doable with the Primaris kits, I would just redo my whole army, minus TWC, with the Primaris model release. GH, BC, etc, etc....all Primaris models. But I think that GW is going to seriously screw up the "upgrade" concept with existing chapters.

Yea so I just solved the GW issue between Primaris and existing chapters like the SW.

We have Primaris Marines and have been told that they have their own chapter as well as being able to supplement existing armies.

We have been told that existing Marines will be able to be upgraded.

So how do you keep SW rules with a new Primaris that has rules and equipment options do not mesh with the way Wolves fight? Simply put, you don't. A 5 man Primaris squad with only bolt rifles is anathema to the Wolves rules and playstyle. So what could be the answer? Primaris Light!

Let's consider the fluff that Space Marines are Space Marines and the Primaris upgrade will not make them into actual Primaris Marines. However after looking at all the changes to the other factions, they do not stand a chance in 8th edition without significant changes to gear, rules, and stats. So they get an upgrade that is basically Primaris Light. It beefs them up to 8th edition standards without actually turning them into Primaris Marines. This addresses you keep a GH pack rules with Primaris upgraded GH. They are still GH, but with a Primaris Light upgrade that does not make them grow bigger, but beefs them up while retaining their core unit characteristics.

Sadly this does mean no pure Primaris Space Wolf armies, at least not ones that would have GH/BC/TWC rules intact. This does mean that you can retain/build a standard Primaris Light Space Wolves army with all the SW rules as well as a combination of a Primaris Light SW and Primaris army. However I would not expect the Primaris to get any SW specific rules like counter attack or gear options.

Yea so I just solved the GW issue between Primaris and existing chapters like the SW.

We have Primaris Marines and have been told that they have their own chapter as well as being able to supplement existing armies.

So how do you keep SW rules with a new Primaris that has rules and equipment options do not mesh with the way Wolves fight? Simply put, you don't. A 5 man Primaris squad with only bolt rifles is anathema to the Wolves rules and playstyle. So what could be the answer? Primaris Light!

Let's consider the fluff that Space Marines are Space Marines and the Primaris upgrade will not make them into actual Primaris Marines. However after looking at all the changes to the other factions, they do not stand a chance in 8th edition without significant changes to gear, rules, and stats. So they get an upgrade that is basically Primaris Light. It beefs them up to 8th edition standards without actually turning them into Primaris Marines. This addresses you keep a GH pack rules with Primaris upgraded GH. They are still GH, but with a Primaris Light upgrade that does not make them grow bigger, but beefs them up while retaining their core unit characteristics.

Sadly this does mean no pure Primaris Space Wolf armies, at least not ones that would have GH/BC/TWC rules intact. This does mean that you can retain/build a standard Primaris Light Space Wolves army with all the SW rules as well as a combination of a Primaris Light SW and Primaris army. However I would not expect the Primaris to get any SW specific rules like counter attack or gear options.

OP, please consider the following food for thought:

Writing on the wall that is wait and see, even now, is actually rather important, insomuch as there arguably is no writing on the wall yet. Put another way, we, those outside GW HQ, do not yet know what exactly GW's internal plans are for SM when compared to PSM. The reason? They might still be trying to feel out their clientele, their customers, to see how this is going over, right now.

I would love to use PSM with GH pack style weapons loadouts; however, that appears to not be the case. Also, in my current list, my Elites slots are very hard to free more than one squad up for a PSM unit, of any type. The problem is that, overall, again, I don't know if GW even has everything figured out yet.

While SM armies may one day be phased out, a decade is a LONG time; between now and a possible then, please, don't let your own thoughts steal your own joy in life. Life is what we each make of it, and, if you want to play your regular SW's, do so. If you would rather not play your SW army, do that, instead.

The key here is the hobby should be fun; when it is not, see what it takes to make it fun again, for you. If that seems to not be possible in the foreseeable future, take a break.

There are many options, some appear to be more to taste for you than others; always pick what you need to pick to have the most fun, long term. If that is what you are doing here, then more power to you, OP.

From the Amicus thread, Brother Ramses.

There's more here than we know yet, and, given time, even if, which is unlikely, PSM phase out SM's in general, the fact is, resources wise, it's a bit easier (points) to field regular SM units of any type than it is for the Imperium to make and field a PSM, comparatively. Yes, GW might phase out regular SM's in time. I still think it unlikely, although, maybe you are right. Time alone will tell, as until June 17, we won't know what the exact details are, if even then in full. Dynamic situations being as they are, take with a grain of salt.

OP, please consider the following food for thought:

Writing on the wall that is wait and see, even now, is actually rather important, insomuch as there arguably is no writing on the wall yet. Put another way, we, those outside GW HQ, do not yet know what exactly GW's internal plans are for SM when compared to PSM. The reason? They might still be trying to feel out their clientele, their customers, to see how this is going over, right now.

I would love to use PSM with GH pack style weapons loadouts; however, that appears to not be the case. Also, in my current list, my Elites slots are very hard to free more than one squad up for a PSM unit, of any type. The problem is that, overall, again, I don't know if GW even has everything figured out yet.

While SM armies may one day be phased out, a decade is a LONG time; between now and a possible then, please, don't let your own thoughts steal your own joy in life. Life is what we each make of it, and, if you want to play your regular SW's, do so. If you would rather not play your SW army, do that, instead.

The key here is the hobby should be fun; when it is not, see what it takes to make it fun again, for you. If that seems to not be possible in the foreseeable future, take a break.

There are many options, some appear to be more to taste for you than others; always pick what you need to pick to have the most fun, long term. If that is what you are doing here, then more power to you, OP.

From the Amicus thread, Brother Ramses.

There's more here than we know yet, and, given time, even if, which is unlikely, PSM phase out SM's in general, the fact is, resources wise, it's a bit easier (points) to field regular SM units of any type than it is for the Imperium to make and field a PSM, comparatively. Yes, GW might phase out regular SM's in time. I still think it unlikely, although, maybe you are right. Time alone will tell, as until June 17, we won't know what the exact details are, if even then in full. Dynamic situations being as they are, take with a grain of salt.

Horrendous fluff aside, I actually have no issue with GW making bigger Marines. I just despise that it was as a new "faction" and not just a "hey Marines are now this size and stats, upgrade modes if you like". And I would have no problem even going full Primaris models using SW rules. However GW has to have an answer for Primaris Marines in SW armies and SW Marines getting the Primaris Light upgrade to bring them inline with 8th Editon rules and mechanics. Like I have said, with what we have seen of the Faction Focus of our enemies, we are lacking greatly. That is why I think that every single SM army will have the option of being Primaris Light upgraded since it serves two purposes; brings them inline with 8th & keeps a product line for GW relevant. Edited by Brother Ramses

I'm pretty sure I'll be leaving the Primaris Marines out of my Space Wolves anyway.  I've already got over 4k points worth of painted Space Wolves models, which is more than I could play at one time as it is.  It's already hard enough trying to figure out what to fit into a list, and what has to stay home.

Instead, I think I'll just start a new army with the new models.  That way I don't have to mix and match, and can go for better consistency this time around.  With their points cost being somewhat higher per unit, I probably won't have to buy tons and tons of models to get a decent 2k point army, either. 

We'll see though.  All depends on what they've actually done when we get our hands on that Adeptus Astartes Index at launch.

V

So the Inceptors operate in teams of three, have flight packs, and drop from orbit in a hail of bolter shells?

Anybody else tempted to paint them up like the bioroids from Robotech Masters? Just me?

I'll not let the door hit me on my way out...

I was sold once I saw the back side of those jump pack guys, http://warhammeraqui.mforos.com/389007/11982493-comentarios-40k/?pag=60 I'm throwing money at my monitor as we speak...

Yup, I want it all. Can't wait. Can't wait to wolf up those Primaris.

gonna get the starter kit myself, and already agreed with somebody to swap my DG for his Primaris part, so i get it all double for the cheap.

Since i just started up a 30k Space Wolves army, i was planning on using those in 40k. Now though, i think i will focus more on the Primaris for 40k, and worry less about the viability of my 30k units as 40k units. 

40k Primaris Space Wolves :) Not sure how that is going to happen, or how i am going to make it look. But i will certainly give it a try 

gonna get the starter kit myself, and already agreed with somebody to swap my DG for his Primaris part, so i get it all double for the cheap.

Since i just started up a 30k Space Wolves army, i was planning on using those in 40k. Now though, i think i will focus more on the Primaris for 40k, and worry less about the viability of my 30k units as 40k units. 

40k Primaris Space Wolves :smile.: Not sure how that is going to happen, or how i am going to make it look. But i will certainly give it a try 

Conversions, Conversions, Conversions and Green Stuff. It's the SW player way, especially before we had our current kit. Legs and arms may be difficult but a lot of the "accessory" type pieces and heads should be usable.  

i don't have the time or patience to shave off shoulder pads and other crap to make the starter set purchase viable. I would rather wait for the kits and then swap in heads and shoulder pads since those are cross compatible. Then see what else from my bitz box will stick to them.

Not sure what I will do if kit is embelished with Imperial eagles all over. Would prefer blank generic chests and legs so I could rune script or whatnot on them.

I personally have decided to wait for the non mono pose kits for these. The jump guys have grown on me over time, I think the paint job and poses are where I was having the most issues, so once there's a lot I can pose myself I think u will like them. Also the Photoshop with the bubble visor looks awesome imho and I might try to pull that off.

Some thoughts I had about the new marines. Gravis armor looks silly, or at least that kit. The bolter and plasma squads look neat but I'm waiting to see if they have Space Wolves torsos. The Jump marines would be good to do up though as Skyclaws who have survived conflict after conflict. Those that live are rarely prmoted to the ranks of Grey Hunter and, unless they perform a great act of valour, never receive an appointment to the Wolf Guard. So I see these new guys as the oldest Skyclaws, the ones that never learned, never calmed down and never died. They're given a few upgrades, snub nosed heavy bolters and are now Jump Pack Long Fangs. If I pick some of these new marines up, it'll be them, just as soon as I get rid of those awful heat shields.

Some thoughts I had about the new marines. Gravis armor looks silly, or at least that kit. The bolter and plasma squads look neat but I'm waiting to see if they have Space Wolves torsos. The Jump marines would be good to do up though as Skyclaws who have survived conflict after conflict. Those that live are rarely prmoted to the ranks of Grey Hunter and, unless they perform a great act of valour, never receive an appointment to the Wolf Guard. So I see these new guys as the oldest Skyclaws, the ones that never learned, never calmed down and never died. They're given a few upgrades, snub nosed heavy bolters and are now Jump Pack Long Fangs. If I pick some of these new marines up, it'll be them, just as soon as I get rid of those awful heat shields.

Or they are wolf guard with jump packs because it is way of fight of their wolf lord :)

But does it mean that those primaris marine have no scout stage? They are fully-fledged Astartes? Not like in case "normal" Astartes? In our case - new recruit is fully-fledged Astartes and Scouts are very experienced Astartes. Does it mean that this is derrogation from Codex? Yes, it would mean that one day GW will release new scouts. But it seem to be derrogation or exception because when primaris marine have arisen do they have enough time to be firstly scouts and then fully-fledged Astartes? Just thinking.