The Primaris Space Marines and the Space Wolves

Filius

I'll throw you for another loop. How do Legion of the Damned get Primaris Marines? Especially since its heavily hinted they are the marine souls of Istvaan.

The Legion of the Damned came from the lost Fire Hawks Chapter. That fluff has been around since at least 2e, if not longer. It's still a fair point that they shouldn't get access to any Primaris Marines. However, in the most recent incarnations, you play Legion of the Damned as a specific unit type, rather than as a Chapter of its own, so they wouldn't be combined with Primaris.

In hunt for the truth it is mentioned that they may be made up of the spirits of marines that stayed faithful. Istvaan being a mass source of these marines. It would also explain how somr saw different legion markings on the legion of the damned. Additionaly it would explain the huge figure that appeared on the IF ship that nodded t the IF captain in fall of cadia, being none other than Ferrus Manus

It's off topic here, but if they retcon the Legion of the Damned background information that has been set for over 25 years, I'm going to be :cussing ticked. 

If that's a retcon, then its not a recent one. It's never been confirmed that the Legion are the Fire Hawks, that was just one possible theory for them. I believe the LotD codex contained several, inlcuding the 'ghost of dead Marines, reincarnated as essentially Imperial Daemons' thing. Plus there's portrayals of the Legion that clearly aren't Fire Hawks going back at least to McNeill's Ultramrines novels where Ultramrine iconography (inferred to be the 'ghost' of Remus Ventanus) is observed on the Legion who save them from the Iron Warriors.

Personally, I much prefer that to 'this one Chapter got lost in the warp'. Partly because 'what makes the Fire Hawks so special?' they can't be the first Chapter lost in such a manner, so why did only they get Legion-ed? Also, the Fire Hawks limits Legion appearances to the tail end of m41, and GW have a bad enough record as it is for including stuff in work set before it should be around (Nids are particularly bad for this), so no need to intorduce more potential for issues. Plus, of course, the 'Ghost Daemon' option also potentially includes the 'Fire Hawk' theory, as the Fire Hawks could still be Legion, but not all Legion have to be Fire Hawks. Just a better concept all round, imo.

"… Guilliman has also ordered the creation of a host of new Chapters, the Ultima Founding, composed entirely of Primaris Space Marines. The warriors of these new Chapters were created entirely using the new processes discovered by Belisarius Cawl and established with all the necessary weapons, armour and equipment that they’ll need to conduct their defence of the Imperium.

These Chapter’s still trace their genetic lineage back to the gene-seed of the First Founding, and scions of all nine loyalists Legions emerged from the vaults beneath the red planet. They benefit from three additional organs and larger size, but it still remains to be seen if Cawl was able to successfully stabilise any of the known genetic deviations or impart any additional resistance to the effects of Chaos. …"

via Warhammer Community "The Ultima Founding", underline by me.

We will have a Space Wolves Successor … I am very, very, very curious, how they will evolve and fit in and … be welcomed …

Edit: Typos

Edited by Filius

After reading the latest about the "Ultima Founding", I had a bit of an epiphany. Space Wolves have had a lot of unique benefits over the more "standard" space marines. TWC and Wulfen have no real equivalents in other chapters. We alone have frost weapons and wolf claws, which assuming they still exist in 8e (major grumble grumble otherwise), that +1S will continue to give us an edge in wounding. Yeah, 7e punished the assault-focused meta pretty harshly, but I think 8e will bring it back with a vengeance.

While I giggle at the thought of a nuMarine on a nuThunderwolf (can they also get upgraded organs too, please :wink:), I appreciate more the uniqueness that is Space Wolves.

I am also REALLY looking forward to how our characters will get reworked, especially Ulrik and Arjac.

Edited by Gherrick

Ah! I wanted to ask that already, when the first Pictures of Primaris Space Wolves came: Those are from Ragnars Great Company, aren't they? Although his Shoulder Pad is the most iconic one … it also may be a clue, that we'll see Ragnar primarised …

"… Guilliman has also ordered the creation of a host of new Chapters, the Ultima Founding, composed entirely of Primaris Space Marines. The warriors of these new Chapters were created entirely using the new processes discovered by Belisarius Cawl and established with all the necessary weapons, armour and equipment that they’ll need to conduct their defence of the Imperium.

These Chapter’s still trace their genetic lineage back to the gene-seed of the First Founding, and scions of all nine loyalists Legions emerged from the vaults beneath the red planet. They benefit from three additional organs and larger size, but it still remains to be seen if Cawl was able to successfully stabilise any of the known genetic deviations or impart any additional resistance to the effects of Chaos. …"

via Warhammer Community "The Ultima Founding", underline by me.

We will have a Space Wolves Successor … I am very, very, very curious, how they will evolve and fit in and … be welcomed …

Edit: Typos

We will have to wait and see. I have noticed GW will make blanket/generic statements about using the word chapter and then translating it to company for the SWs. It could be that we get a whole company of Primaris to replace the Ironwolves and Firehowlers. Or GW could just be talking about the codex compliant marines.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUoEdYJhL9w/

Shots from Warhammer world.

Oh my.....

Ah! I wanted to ask that already, when the first Pictures of Primaris Space Wolves came: Those are from Ragnars Great Company, aren't they? Although his Shoulder Pad is the most iconic one … it also may be a clue, that we'll see Ragnar primarised …

Yeah, wouldn't look too much into that since they use his companies insignia 90 percent of the time. 

Ragnars company is GW go to compamy for SW. I wouldnt read much into it.

Ragnars company is GW go to compamy for SW. I wouldnt read much into it.

To be fair that icon is only associated with Ragnar but that variant wolf head totem/icon has been around since rogue trader days. I prefer the outline look of the rogue trader icon myself.

Don't expect a single character to be Primarisized. Apparently the upgrade they meant was that there will be Primaris Marines with SW geneseed, that is it. Produced and sent out to Fenris to boltster our decimated chapter.

So there won't be Primarisized wolf guard or GH, just SW Intercessors and Hellblasters, etc.

Only chance now for this edition to be savaged is Primaris kits that will allow me to field a SW "true scale" army. Will refuse to play an army of mismatched scales against other armies of mismatched scale. By tastes in appearance won't allow it!

From a somewhat fluff perspective, I can see regular wolves competing against these new guys in battle. It's more out of honour and personal pride, maybe even a fatal flaw for heroes who yearn for a worthy saga. But would also be a great read if done through a series of novels.

The 14th Great Company could really use this as a means for reinforcement , considering the way the company reinforced before is now completely impossible , I like the models , I  can accept that this is just a thing going forward and I  will paint them up to match my force. 

If these Primaris are truly expected to completely replace existing Astartes, then GW *will* release scaled-up parts to allow for Wolves and BA and so on. There's too much money in it not to. Consider that the whole business reason for introducing these guys is to expand the SM range in a direction that allows for new kits. Doing that and then cutting off the most passionate and loyal segment of your customer base is just stupid, and GW aren't stupid.

If that happens, then I'll swiftly buy as many mk 8 tactical, assault and devastator kits as I can, along with 2/3 as many SW kits. That'll give me modeling material for a LONG time, as I paint very slowly.

The games I play after that will be "historical." I do agree with Ramses that the scale difference is hurtful to look upon. I'll not inflict that on my retinas (though an Intercessor squad called "The Cauldron-Born" is tempting).

If Primaris become the new poster boys and we don't get new kits but our kits don't get discontinued, cool. I'll carry on as always. My army's old school, and Wulfen and TWC are too new-fangled and hifalutin for me as it is...

Well its easy to see the one in the back has some very SW-centric bits on him, including the power pack and the chainsword. The one on the front right seems to have a winged-wolf-skull on his chest as well.

That tells me we are getting our own kit.

Well its easy to see the one in the back has some very SW-centric bits on him, including the power pack and the chainsword. The one on the front right seems to have a winged-wolf-skull on his chest as well.

That tells me we are getting our own kit.

I hate to say it, but the one on the back looks more like a common Marine. He doesn't seem to have  any Primaris Parts …

P.S.: Which also says something about the size difference … :happy.:

Edited by Filius

Having been there in person there were 0 legion specific primaris, all was done through the paintjob and transfers. That said I really hope we get our kit indeed since I won't be doing ANY troops until that happens :)

https://youtu.be/tsT8Zm-oEMA

in this video unboxing the new box set the transfer sheet specifically comes with space wolves transfers 

14th company of primaris Space Wolves :smile.:

Judging from the events of Fall of Cadia, there's actually openings for two new company's. RIP Firehowlers, Iron Wolves.

The one in the back is not a Primaris model. Missing the distinct knee armor that the new MK X has that creates that crest.

yes, those were existing heavy metal Space Wolves models.

gotta say Primaris look striking in Space Wolves colours.

I desire some bare heads and a pelt or two, but it's an easy conversion to make.

in this video unboxing the new box set the transfer sheet specifically comes with space wolves transfers

14th company of primaris Space Wolves :)

Judging from the events of Fall of Cadia, there's actually openings for two new company's. RIP Firehowlers, Iron Wolves.

The one in the back is not a Primaris model. Missing the distinct knee armor that the new MK X has that creates that crest.

yes, those were existing heavy metal Space Wolves models.gotta say Primaris look striking in Space Wolves colours.

I desire some bare heads and a pelt or two, but it's an easy conversion to make.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, though I kinda like the clean look to them.

So taking into account all the rules leaks for the unique chapters like the SW, Primaris Marines are basically going to be generic across said chapters. The only thing different will be whatever the chapter keyword gives them in terms of special rules unique to the chapter. So like with the case of BT, the BT Primaris units will get Righteaous Zeal. In the case of SW, the SW Primaris would get Counterattack (if it still exists).

With each unique chapter basically getting the generic Primaris units, it really comes down to our Primaris being SW in paint only. What use is Counterattack to units that you are going to keep out of close combat? I am not even sure how much they would benefit from some of the SW specific auras that our HQ will offer. Need to research those.