The Primaris Space Marines and the Space Wolves

Filius

Yea some dudes in that Gravis armor in breacher type poses with some new weaponry would look pretty killer.

Moving in from infantry units, my interest is peaked in what we can expect transport and tanks platforms if any.

Brother Ramses I think similar to you. If I take the plunge into Primaris I don't know if I will add them to my space wolves or if I will do another chapter. It depends on two things. The first is how well they compliment/integrate with my Wolves on the tabletop. The second is how good Ragnar will look IF he gets primarisized. I think he is the most likely candidate if they start to do it to characters. Oh yeah, monetary cost too. Or do I invest in another marine army or do I put a heavier investment into Chaos or Dark Eldar with my time and money.

WG Dan, I won't run Primaris with any standard Marines. The size difference hurts my eyes too damn much which in.turn brings to mind the horrendous fluff turd that GW laid on us. So my options are;

1. Full converted SW Primaris army just to have the full size models and if I then want to add Primaris into the army they at least match. Dependent on kits released and possibility to have bits to convert.

2. Full Primaris Chapter depending on what is released by GW.

3. Space Wolves as they are with no Primaris and hope I never have to face a mixed army so as not have to gouge out my eyes and bleach my brain.

There is a part of me that wants to know why they needed to be larger than the current marines.

It would have been nice to just give the current plastic range, the armour and weapon upgrades, sold separately but whatever...

There is a part of me that wants to know why they needed to be larger than the current marines.

They've probably been wanting to fix the scale for Marines for a long time, and for the same reason some modelers bother to convert Tru-scale Marines.

A typical traditional Marine model was no bigger than a Catachan Guardsman, but in the background is supposed to be two or three feet taller in his armor. So, they're taking the opportunity to make Astartes that actually look down on most of the other humanoids.

Edit: Consider also that a Space Marine is supposed to be 2.1 to 2.25 meters tall outside his armor, while an Ogryn is between 2.5 and 3 meters tall. In his armor, a Marine should be closer to Ogryn-sized than Human who would be around 1.75m, and the newer scale demonstrates that.

Edited by Valerian

Guys, worry not! If any chapter has a good fluff reason for primaris marines it is ours!

From one of the few good articles I've ever read in BOLS:

There are several instances in the Horus Heresy where it is hinted at that the Adeptus Astartes of the 41st millennium are a shadow of the Marines from the 31st millennium. In False Gods Horus is given a glimpse of the future by the Chaos Gods in which he sees Space Marines that are shadows of those he knows. This can be taken several ways but upon my initial reading I believed the passage to be hinting at the Space Marines being “diminished”. The case for this is made elsewhere and the degradation of Gene Seed is well documented throughout the fluff. Whether it is the degrading of the gene seed; removing the Belchers Gland from some Marines to the devastating effects of the Red Thirst on Blood Angels, the Gene Seed degrades over time. Over the course of 10,000 years it is completely understandable that the Space Marines of the 41st millennium may indeed be a shadow of those produced by the Emperor in the 31st.

So for us it would be easy to justify the primaris rules as the rest of the XIIIth company coming back from the warp without wulfen mutations alongside Russ.

arent Wulfen smaller than Primaris? If Primaris is the Legion size of Marines than it stands to reason that Wulfen would be bigger than Primaris.

Horus' vision of the future was a Chaos driven propaganda tool of what the Imperium would look like if Horus didn't rebel. We would be better off listening to advice from Magnus.

FYI, they dropped profiles for Inceptors and the Gravis Captain. Pretty good looking stats and rules. Inceptors do drop from orbit, have a charge bonus attack that deals a mortal wound in 6, Toughness 5 like the Gravis captain, and have 18" heavy bolters.

Really dropping from Orbit … you can't accuse GW they wouldn't come up with something new … :happy.:

I'm interested in seeing Orbit drop mid fight halo fall between tau crisis suits and the new inceptors.

* tau going about usual buisness

Inceptors: "target sited. Moving to engage"

Crisis suits: "radar detected space marines, dodge the droppods"

inceptors open fire

tau have battleshock, something new from the imperium? NEW? IMPOSSIbLE

word on the hellblaster squad just hit.

5 models in the unit, 4 hellblasters and 1 squad leader

weapon of choice

Plasma Incinerator 30" Rapid fire1 S7 AP-4  Damage 1

Ability: a model can to super charge their plasma incinerator, the strength and damage of the weapon increases by 1, but if you roll a 1 on the table the model is slain from the exploding weapon. it doesn't say no saves allowed, but if the wording says that it's slain when it explodes so I'm guessing that the armor isn't enough to withstand a super charged plasma backfire.

wow. Sounds like if you roll a 1 it does a mortal wound. i think only invulnerable saves can save from that?

so the normal firing no longer has gets hot? thats great to hear

wow. Sounds like if you roll a 1 it does a mortal wound. i think only invulnerable saves can save from that?

so the normal firing no longer has gets hot? thats great to hear

Mortal wounds allow no saves of any kind.  Also, sounds like it's worse than a mortal wound, because the Primaris have two wounds and it's simply "pick up your dude" if you roll a 1. 

It seems to me these are inferred to be different from standard imperium plasma guns because of Cawl*, so I'm not sure it's safe to assume standard tactical marine plasma weapons will behave the same way.

*source

Edited by Garreck

Can't wait to see Primaris marines in legion grey (that's the color scheme of my lost company).

And one of the new dreads that looks like Metal Gear REX.

It will be piloted by Stigandr Rex, the 'Snake of Fenris'. A former Lone Wolf notorious for stalking through enemy fortresses, taking down most of their defenses for the full-on Assault of his Company.

He was badly injured and on the brink of death when a Night Lord Space Marine (...Vamp(ire)) repeatedly stabbed him with his cursed battle knife - after taking quite a few shots through the head.

I might be the only one , but I am failing to see the use of Primaris Marines. From what I see the Primaris Marines are simply tactical squad with +1 Wound, +1 Attack, and a better gun.  Now if the GH use the same stats as the Tactical Marines, but have the option of using chainswords wouldn't that make the a full 10-man GH squad superior to a 5-man  intercessor squad, at least in melee? The GH would have more attacks (+1 attack from the chainsword + chainsword special rule where it gets an additional attack. So 3 attack from GH+chainsword?) and the same wounds per the squad.

As far as I can tell, these are not melee units at all and meant to sit behind the melee wall and take pot shots. If there was a primaris marine with a chainsword I would be more interested but right now it just seem like a less flexible Tactical/GH squad. They have less weapon options, less melee options,  and limited on weapons.

I like the models, and if someone made custom chainswords that fit on them, I would use the model to replace my GH. OR if GW gave us a melee Primaris Marines that would do too. I am just narrow minded and inexperienced to see how they fit in the melee-centric wolves. This is especially true as we don't have any idea of their transports or the SW detachments. I am loving the idea of true-scale marines though, just not seeing how to fit them in. I am not liking the idea that they can't be brought in a Stormwolf transport, or a  Land Raider, and no chapter specific upgrade sprue.

I'll sit on my hands a little longer, maybe I can contact someone to 3d print proper sized chainswords and use them as my GH's. IDK...

Whoever said they will fit in just fine is drinking the Kool-Aid double-fisted. A bunch of giants with not a single CCW among them standing in an army of midgets armed to the teeth for CCW are not fitting in!

Paint your armies UM Blue and join the walk of shame to Ultramar!!