2017 - A Tale of Hobbyists

Inspiration struck me and I converted a emperors champion out of a bolter primaris marine;

gallery_98789_13239_134451.jpg

I will add him to my first vow as I’m eager to get some paint on him I’m just waiting for some bitz so I can add a back banner to him.I will add him to my first vow as I’m eager to get some paint on him I’m just waiting for some bitz so I can add a back banner to him.

Absolutely love it. Consider that bad boy stolen! I'd been thinking that the walking legs would be good on a HQ. Yours is superb

Much like Kage I'm going to set my marines aside for my eldar. Therefore my vow for this month will be one Corsair Lord and a 5 man squad of Corsairs

If you are changeing projects... or user names Please send me a PM! I am tracking everything, and with 60+ participants its easy to miss something! 

I'm calling the first part of my project officially completed ...

gallery_25187_11097_926292.jpg

It ended up taking 3 layers of gloss varnish to get it to have a bit of a reflective sheen.

Lol ... I've got a feeling I'll be making another set for my brother as he wants some.

I've started playing around with my airbrush to see what effects I can come up with for the space boards. Not sure if they should be my next pledge or some risers for this board?

(When I get onto the tablet or laptop I'll change the links to pics)

Edited by SW1

Some Great Completions!  

@MindOfMetal; Yes you can do more than one in a month, and to achieve the monthly achievement this month you will need to do two.. 

I am going to do a bit update of this thread tomorrow morning (CST). So please if your names have changed let me know! 

Well done to all of you with already completed vows.

ST.Lazarus, awesome conversion, now to see him painted.

Kage, like the old Warlock, is the green stuff just repairs or is it adding on?

Lionofjudah, those reaper autocannon barrels look rather thin. What are they?

Iron Bars, good to see him finished.

I have added some colours now, still need to finish with the red, metal, minor details and then wash as well as any touch-ups from where I got paint on the wrong bit due to clumsy fingers.

Not hundred percent on the skin yet either. I wanted to emulate the grey inhuman skin that the original Ogre Kingdom from Fantasy came with. These have ended up darker then intended but actually looks decent in real life, my bad camera just does not capture it right.

If I get the time will also do the basing, though still not sure what I wanted to. This is the first time I have had formed bases rather than normal ones and turns out it is not actually easier to decide what to do.

gallery_29932_13153_67454.jpg

gallery_29932_13153_22117.jpg

Second vow is to complete 4 boards with a star scape on them. This will be usable for BFG and as a backdrop for things like Space Hulk.

Really like those primaris howling griffons.

Second vow (and because of vacation probably last for this month):

1 space marine captain of the Triskelion chapter (possably a raven guard succesor, but who knows??)

887737_sm-space%20marine%20captain.JPG

And a unit of stormtroopers with 2 plasma guns

887738_sm-kasrkin%20stormtroopers%20pre%

*** UPDATED FROM TO THIS POINT ** 

Well, I have finaly finished going though all 7 of the pages of this thread, and wow we have had some great work posted already! This first Month has been a slow start but with 8th now out I think we are starting to see the pace pick up a touch. 

We have a total of 70 Hobbyists,  who have committed to join event. Please check the opening page to make sure I have your Project listed correctly. 

So far I have 9 vows competed. 

binary  Combat_Vet Grandmaster damion  Iron Bars  Jaxom  Lemainus  MindOfMetal  SW1  Zujara 

And 52 vows. 

binary  Combat_Vet Grandmaster damion  Iron Bars  Jaxom  Lemainus  MindOfMetal  SW1  Zujara  Brother Arkley  Brother Captain Firelupus  Brother Chaplain Kage Celestial Guardian  Erasmus Tycho  Ferrus Manus  FirstSonofHorus  fisheyedbunny,  FlamingWalnut foamy248,  Ghostbear_100  gianlucafiorentini123  Grieux Grotsmasha  Jüffös  Kennyjapan  KingKurama  Larkyn  lionofjudah Lord Commander Eidolon, mandaloriano  Marqol MrBadweed  ogres_lair Rangaman  Rustam  Sagentus  Scared to death  Shard of Magnus Skidman  snazzyninja ST.Lazarus  Studio Silvernale TrawlingCleaner Trixie Trokair Umbros,  VulkansDynasty waaaaghlord  Warsmith Uveron Wiffinberg Wolf_Priest_dantay_xv  Wulfric _1066

Please let me know if your names are not on the lists. 

Could I vow to sculpt a model? I'm starting another daemon prince from scratch and, while it is unlikely that I can finish it before this month ends, it is literally impossible for me to paint it too (I won't have access to my paints for a week).[/size]

Yes you can kinda... You can vow something this month and then painting next month. (And use your 'joker' month). 

I, Brother Chaplain Kage, vow to complete a Void Dreamer (Warlock) of the Sunblitz Brotherhood Corsairs for month 1 of the challenge. 

Sounds Good are you changing your project? 

A bit late to the party of vows, I'm super busy at University right now. But, I shall not fail in my pledge! Here's my (first?) vow for the month, a single Primaris Intercessor. I'm trying to create my own chapter, so that, combined with my lack of time, means it'll just be a single figure for now.

gallery_87472_13411_4957.jpg

Update on the Laernan squad:

http://img11.deviantart.net/82ff/i/2017/184/d/a/alpha_legion_laernan_02_by_kasumidoll-dbezn5t.jpg

Also update on the big cheese

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3c96/f/2017/184/9/5/emperor_of_mankind_02_by_kasumidoll-dbeznec.jpg

Here's my first WIP post for this years Tale of Hobbyists.

I have pledged to do a 10 man squad of Tyrannic war vets, including Cassius himself. I hope to do some Tyranids, and a base for them all in a sort of mini-diorama, but have played it safe and not pleaded ed this part.

Last month I completed 2 members of the squad:

http://i.imgur.com/HZy0u0h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NJeBHOS.jpg

And as of now, I have started work on the third member:

http://i.imgur.com/CdMED0s.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hr29PJQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VjFvWLs.jpg

I do have a build log that will be following this project in greater depth, as well as anything I do in between.

All C&C Welcome! Thanks for looking!

~ Replica

Hey guys. So I signed up and then got super busy. :down: 
but I am back and have some sense of a normal schedule for a while. 

I have decided, due to a few changes in the miniatures that i am going to be using, to change from Salamanders to Iron warriors. Got super inspired as I have wanted to do them for years. 

So for this month (which is due on the 15th of July am I right?) I pledge a single Terminator sergeant. I may also throw in some extra dudes that are half painted for good measure. I'll post a pic of what he looks like right now (primed black and waiting) along with progress if there is any before now and then. 

P.S the work so far is amazing guys. :biggrin.:

About time I showed my vow pictures.

Ben doing a picture dump into flickr from photo-down the-bucket.

So my recon team:

35324484140_dc2cdf9a93_b.jpg20151012_224809 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Which ended up like this

35324484210_16a1c8bb0b_b.jpg20151113_222241 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

35324484350_ed643c22e0_b.jpg20151113_222331 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

35711485435_067ac819f6_b.jpg20151113_222345 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

35324484600_720d74d520_b.jpg20151113_222404 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

35324484520_a39037a93b_b.jpg20151113_222416 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

35711485465_bfb9d52054_b.jpg20151113_222428 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

35324484690_a28907dec3_b.jpg20151113_234143 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

They got 90% done, but thn I sort of gave up and moved on to the next thing.

Ages ago Apologist happened across my recon marines and suggested a plaid look might be good instead of the ice camo on their cloaks

So in a bid to stick to this months theme, these guys are going to get finished, plus a bit of a make over.

Plaid or leather cloaks, plus redo the armour to match my evolving paint scheme for the Wolves

So here is an update of where I am at with them.

35541274002_8e586c5ce9_b.jpg20170703_191736 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Charadon granite base for the cloaks

35541274192_dc098b5260_b.jpg20170703_211741 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Panzer grey plus wash for the armour

Oh and unrelated, but started this guy as part of a challenge in the SW forum.

35541274672_b7f7bd7b56_b.jpg20170703_211747 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

Looking good Zujara, never thought that orange would look good with red markings. Might have to try that for my own Ryza stuff.

Not much to update, did some modeling yesterday instead of painting.

888234_sm-sniper%20teams%20wip.JPG

Sniper team for the guard part of the army.

Ulveron: how much detail do you want for our projects? Army list(s) or is the description enough?