Poll: What flavour of Imperial Fists are you?

Dosjetka

Poll: What flavour of Imperial Fists are you?  

631 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

According to Lexicanum these are the known successors of the VIIth Legion and I have been wondering what Chapters collect and/or play. This is a public poll to show the variety of Chapters present in this subforum which will then allow us to promote inspiration and discussion about lesser-known Chapters as well as the more popular ones. It would also be great to see and hear more from those who play the lesser known options, their motivations and opinion on the Chapter at the present day.

Note - this is a public poll so people will see your choices. Also, if you try to view the result prior to posting, your vote will be nullified (and there's nothing I can do about it) so please vote first.

Edited by Brother Tyler

A pint at Bugman's? :biggrin.:

Right, time to explain my choices: Imperial Fists and DIY.

I've painted a number of Imperial Fists over the years and despite never managing to paint more than a small squad, they're still very close to my heart. The DIY Chapter I used to collect was created back when the Black Templars had their own Codex and it was the first Codex I bought when I started the hobby. They had the Templar cross as a Chapter emblem but were anthracite and crimson with gold details. I don't think I have any models left but they were my first love for a good couple of years.

Anyone else want to share their stories?

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

I stumbled on both Chapters I paint/play. Black Templars were my first and largest 40k force picked simply because when I first started I wanted quick and easy painting (spray black, pick out a couple details, spot of white here and there... done). As I continued to read more about them I really liked their background and started really working on them after I figured out a bit more about painting. More recently I started Celestial Lions because I wanted to try and branch out to a more challenging paint scheme that i could use as an allied force. I dug through the IF successors (because duh obviously I'd go for the best parent chapter ;)) until I found one that looked cool and started painting them. Once again I fell in love with their background, especially when I found out they they were buddy buddy with my BT anyway, so here we are.

Looking through the list of space marine chapters looking for inspiration to start a new army. I found the Crimson Guard a red and yellow split scheme. I chose this army because they were two colours I struggled to paint well so I took it up as a challenge to be a better painter. The very limited background on these guys identified them as crimson fist successors but I see this has since been retconned and they don't know who their founding chapter are. I will continue to use them as Dorn's sons

whats sad is that this is a poll for Dorn and his successors and right now, if I count the IF and the 7th legion together (as those would for the most part be imperial fists and yellow schemed models), then the original parent legion is in second, other wise the Imperial fists, the parent chapter is tied for second with the fists.  

What this pole really shows isn't so much of which chapter is necessarily the favorite, but just how hard painting yellow really is, since the majority have gone with panting black and bone/white over painting yellow.    I know in the past I have opted to make my own DIY successor or go with crimson fists because painting yellow was no easy task.   

Anyways, I voted for Imperial fists, since that is what I am building now.   

What this pole really shows isn't so much of which chapter is necessarily the favorite, but just how hard painting yellow really is.

Screenshot_31.jpg

This was a test model I did a couple days ago on the theory of yellow armour.  I completely agree - its a pain in the arse and almost any other colour in the rainbow would be a more sane choice.  That said, yesterday was a milestone in custard related painting and it took less time than my Crimson Fists do.  He will be joined by more brothers. :)

Haha, or maybe it shows that the BT forum are still a force to be reckoned with? ;)

I don't think people play BT because black is easier, it would be down to the rules that were released back in the day and once you're a Templar, you're always a Templar.

Painting yellow is SUPEREASY. Just don't paint it.

Hold on, hear me out. Prime white. Flush with Lysander Yellow. Wash with Cassandora Yellow. Highlight edges with Dorn Yellow.

DONE. Or, alternatively:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/318089-new-yellow-recipe-easy/

(go hard in with two layers of heavy drybrush or aibrush Averland all over, wash/glaze with a taxi yellow from Vallejo or wash with Cassandora, do the highlights with Dorn).

It's the Emperor's Black that is hard, tbh. IF yellow is super easy once you stop trying to PAINT the bloody thing.

(go hard in with two layers of heavy drybrush or aibrush Averland all over, wash/glaze with a taxi yellow from Vallejo or wash with Cassandora, do the highlights with Dorn).

I found another very quick, easy method if you don't have an airbrush.

Prime: White

Base: Yriel Yellow

Shade\Wash - Ratskin with medium and water

Highlights - Yriel and Dorn

The moment I avoided layering - the job got heaps easier.

well, true, them templars are a fanatical bunch, and I recall them in the days of 3rd and 4th when you shot at them, they took a wound, and got closer to you, it was like...stop shooting at them, you only make them get closer when you do.   It was fire everything at the closest squad or not at all.    I got no issues with the templars, they are crazed fanatics but they are sons of dorn and they are everywhere.   I also started my 40k hobby back in the end of second edition where my first army was sisters of battle.  I understand the fanatic ways of purging heresy really well, I just never got into playing templars because I already played sisters.  

I started in the hobby back in '02 with a small force of Black Templars, a current rule book (Can't recall the edition then) and the Codex: Armageddon for rules. I bought the army off of a guy I served with who wanted the money to build on his Space Wolves army. I've been a Templar ever since and can't imagine playing any other force of marines. That, and on top of the initial $200 purchase, I've spent easily 7 times that amount growing my force, so I have a vested and invested interest to continue!