NTaW's Thokt Dynasty

NTaW

Thanks for the kind words! As much as I employ my "wipe away the mistakes" technique I'm finding that I less often need to. Adding a new tiny brush to my arsenal made a big difference there; using my frayed old ones definitely worked to build dexterity and patience :lol:

Tyriks, I painted it the same as all the other blue but more...randomly? I'll try and get a better picture of the console for you later if you'd like.

Just have to base both the Spyder and my DDA and then all assembled/not covered in dust models are completed. So much of my spare time right now has to focus on recording prep but there is the rare time when I'm up and can't be playing guitar due to noise (even with headphones) that I can sneak in a bit of hobby. I tried to get some half decent angles on the console for you Tyriks, hope you can make out where I went with the globe thing.

48700356072_66cbac946c_c.jpg

48699847493_00eb790aec_c.jpg

48699847178_6c6c3a494c_c.jpg

48700185331_d9fdc9ede2_c.jpg

Maybe my CloakTek will be next as a sort of reward for finally getting this out of the way before I dive in on my other five Lychguard.

Edited by NTaW

It looks very good! I think maybe I look too closely at my own stuff - I'm not thinking about how they'll look from across the table, I'm thinking when I hold it up to my nose I see all the messy mistakes I made and I feel the need to go over it again. But that orb is very effective at looking like swirling energy at distance, so maybe I just need to get over it, to some extent.

It looks very good! I think maybe I look too closely at my own stuff - I'm not thinking about how they'll look from across the table, I'm thinking when I hold it up to my nose I see all the messy mistakes I made and I feel the need to go over it again. But that orb is very effective at looking like swirling energy at distance, so maybe I just need to get over it, to some extent.

I had a general need to "relax" when looking at my work a while back. The breaking point for me was my Scythe where I was so frustrated making mistakes I ended up accidentally coming up with my 'wet wipe' technique for crevasse painting. I hated that model so much and now it's laughably easy for me to paint such an item just because I stopped expecting myself to paint so perfectly. When I look at those pictures in my head all I can hear is "wow that orb has some lackluster detail work" but that really only matters upon specific inspection, and add to that only if the person looking even cares about what I care about enough to agree. At the end of the day I think we all can appreciate a cleanly painted army regardless of the skill level or complexity of palette brought to the task.

:lol: "at the right distance"

Managed to get this model built across a few minutes here and there today, also have the Lychguard legs on bases. Hoping to get them a bit of building done for priming before the weather goes from "perfect" to "see you in March".

48732959423_dacc9e76c4_z.jpg

I just pushed the Cryptek onto the cloak for the picture, it isn't glued together. I'll be priming and painting them separately to get all the nifty little details. Such a cool model.

He is a cool model !, look forward to your version of this guy !! :-D

Apologies if “right distance “ was taken as a slight, not meant that way... some things look different up close and then take on a different dimension from a foot away... that was the intention...

Cheers, Mithril

So just found this and really like your color work. It has a great feel and I bet a grand presence on the table. Looking at yours has made me want to start fixing up my old army as well as finish what hasn't been done yet. My cron started as my chess set army, you know, 3 colors and done. So keep up the great work and I'll check in to see, thanks for a re-kindle on mine.

• 1 month later...

Had a minute to paint today and I kind of like the handle. Bought it on a whim and am pleased with the grip and hand support it provides.

49009596692_b626281e21_z.jpg

I don't want to do this guy's cloak in purple like my Overlord since he's not technically of the royal court. Currently my thought is to to the cloak blue but go to an almost full white finish. Anyone have thoughts on cloak colour?

Is that the XL?

It sure is. I have the regular size one as well but this is the only one I've used while actually painting. I had to pop this model off the holder for a moment to nab a bit of the underside but that is a pretty unique angle to complain about not having access to. Holds model, fits hand. Added bonus for at least the XL, there's enough space to rest some part of the brush hand on the holder since it sticks off the sides a fair bit.

I'd go for a silver with a blue wash to a little bit of purple on the bottom of it.

I grabbed a spare bit that was primed, is this the sort of colouration you are getting at?

49015628082_233df0f6c0_z.jpg 

So I'm here with the cloak and I'm thinking about my next steps.

49035762421_c6c63c2988_c.jpg

I could do some edge highlights with some light silver potentially white in spots to try and give it a look, but I'm open to suggestions. The colours are a bit stronger with the naked eye; I think that the light in the room reflects the silver flecking in the basecoat too much for a good representation with my classic phone-in-hand technique.

I think what I may do is go back and very finely add a bit of black wash only to the recesses of the cloak to make sure what little details there are show more at a glance. The colours are noticeable from across the room so I'm ok with that I guess. This weekend will hopefully see me finish the model; I will likely replicate this colour change on the model's front features as well instead of painting any solid purple (the chin and loincloth accessories).

EDIT: I have now finished the cloak, though I may still make a darker version of the colours and get right into the cracks for some added depth. Now onto the Cryptek..

49038586842_c853a9cf95_z.jpg

Edited by NTaW