Erebus? You monster!(I actually had a lot of people in my coven of gamers ask if Erebus was even still alive, more people should read Anthony Reynolds Word Bearer Series.)

I'm probably the one in thousands who actually likes Erebus as a character, and would like to see a story about him in detail one day.

The only thing I really hope for with the new book is that we get to meet the Nurgle guy!

I was kind of miffed that by the end of Talon, Abby only has a representative for 3 out of 4 chaos gods. Especially since ADB's whole thing is that he can make chaos marines seem sympathetic, I really want to see him try and make us fall in love with a giant bag of :censored: and pus.

I have no idea if people will like him, but "the Nurgle guy" is Ilyaster Draylech. Khayon mentions him off-hand in The Talon of Horus (just once, I think) and yep, he shows up in The Black Legion. 

Ok. So can we nip this one in the bud early...

How do we pronounce his name? ill-yass-ter, ill-eye-ass-ter, ill-ee-ass-ter.... Don't want another Cyrene on our hands!

I'm curious if other characters handled by A D B might show up in Black Legion either being mentioned or having a real show up.

Or if Magnus was the only Primarch who had to be forced to kneel before Abaddon.

From what I remember, they were all forced to kneel and recognize Abaddon as Warmaster. Magnus simply needed an extra help to bend the knee.

Isha, I hope not. One Primarch (of the second-most weakened Legion, after the Sons of Horus) being forced to kneel is ok, but all of them? As I've mentioned before, grievously antagonizing immortal demi-gods who has eternity to plot their revenge is not a winning long-term strategy if you have to live in the same house (the Eye of Terror) as them.

Edit: Abaddon may be dominant in the Eye, but that's not the same as omnipotent, and if all the other Legions hated his guts for humiliating their fathers I doubt he'd get very much done.

I'm curious if other characters handled by A D B might show up in Black Legion either being mentioned or having a real show up.

Or if Magnus was the only Primarch who had to be forced to kneel before Abaddon.

From what I remember, they were all forced to kneel and recognize Abaddon as Warmaster. Magnus simply needed an extra help to bend the knee.

Isha, I hope not. One Primarch (of the second-most weakened Legion, after the Sons of Horus) being forced to kneel is ok, but all of them? As I've mentioned before, grievously antagonizing immortal demi-gods who has eternity to plot their revenge is not a winning long-term strategy if you have to live in the same house (the Eye of Terror) as them.

Edit: Abaddon may be dominant in the Eye, but that's not the same as omnipotent, and if all the other Legions hated his guts for humiliating their fathers I doubt he'd get very much done.

Realpolitik there.

The Daemon Primarchs are sitting there for the next few thousands of years and they probably know it. They're in no shape to wage the great war in the Materium and most probably don't even care about it anymore since the Great Game is apparently much cooler for some reason.

Maybe some wouldn't care and tell Abaddon he's the Warmaster because whatever, do your little material thing of portraying as Horus if you want to, I have serious business to attend in my own little pocket reality there. Big stuff you know. Some would need some pressure, like the entire fleet of the Black Legion hanging in the skies of their daemon world to understand that it is done, someone has risen to that level. Some would even hear the Chaos gods telling them to comply. And Magnus would play the tough guy.

And I honestly can't believe it to be true. Why should he do that? Apart from Talos, he was the only true loyal son of Curze. He even invented the phrase: "Death to the false Emperor"

I know of the mentioning of this one GK founder but I can't imagine it to happen.

First if all, he would need to get off the DA ship. Then he would have to betray his own comrades or just leave them behind, get somehow a ticket to Terra and in the meantime join Garros Knights....

Maybe the one NL librarian becomes this master but Sevatar? I'm not sure about that. :/

Interior. Camera pans down to a coldly blue corridor. The pounding tread of running feet can be heard. Sevetar, in the ragged remains of a prison uniform enters the shot, sprinting towards a prison door. He hurriedly jams a stolen key in the lock, throws the door open, and runs through. The sound of pursuit draws nearer, close behind. Sev slams the door shut and, reaching through the bars, snaps the key off in the lock.

A gauntly thin human dressed in black enters the shot and approaches the door. Their body ripples and stretches under the influence of polymorphine and, hideously, slides through the bars. Sev looks on as the Callidus assassin reforms on his side of the door, their advance barely slowed. A clang rings out as the C'tan phase sword strapped to the assassin's wrist gets caught in the bars. The assassin looks down, twists the sword mounting free and pulls their arm through.

'Get down', calls out a stranger's compelling voice. Sev drops to the floor as a blue plasma bolt vwoips through the air and disintegrates the assassin's head.

Sev looks up from the floor at the stranger. Cypher, his plasma pistol held aloft in one hand reaches down with the other, holding out his palm.

'Come with me if you want to live.'

...well, that's how Sev manages it in my head.

And I honestly can't believe it to be true. Why should he do that? Apart from Talos, he was the only true loyal son of Curze. He even invented the phrase: "Death to the false Emperor"

I know of the mentioning of this one GK founder but I can't imagine it to happen.

First if all, he would need to get off the DA ship. Then he would have to betray his own comrades or just leave them behind, get somehow a ticket to Terra and in the meantime join Garros Knights....

Maybe the one NL librarian becomes this master but Sevatar? I'm not sure about that. :/

I'm not necessarily saying that he is, it was a great opportunity to post a meme, but of all the reasons that Sevatar couldn't be a GK founder, inventing a phrase or even ideology is the weakest, considering that the entire Horus Heresy was put into play by a bunch of demigods who did nothing but exult their Father and espouse His ideologies for decades if not centuries and still decided to betray him.

I'm not necessarily saying that he is, it was a great opportunity to post a meme, but of all the reasons that Sevatar couldn't be a GK founder, inventing a phrase or even ideology is the weakest, considering that the entire Horus Heresy was put into play by a bunch of demigods who did nothing but exult their Father and espouse His ideologies for decades if not centuries and still decided to betray him.

To be fair, if butchering loyalists in droves, along with leading the most sadistic legion to do just that on an even bigger scale allows you to become a GK founder, I suppose the loyalists see Khârn the Betrayer as a fair successor to the Emperor of Mankind.

But that's quite off topic.

Malcador was the founder of the GKs right?

But they use gene-seed from The Emperor?

What did Malcador do? ... stick a needle in and take a blood sample whilst The Emperor was asleep?

Never confirmed, much like Custodes being descendants of the Emperor. I very much doubt either, there's so many theories that run around about everything that are deliberately wrong.

I personally prefer the idea that the Grey Knights are so resistant to Chaos just because they are trained that well rather then having some element of the Emperor shoved into them. Too simple, too easy, too clean for the Warhammerverse in my eyes.

Malcador was the founder of the GKs right?

But they use gene-seed from The Emperor?

What did Malcador do? ... stick a needle in and take a blood sample whilst The Emperor was asleep?

Never confirmed, much like Custodes being descendants of the Emperor. I very much doubt either, there's so many theories that run around about everything that are deliberately wrong.

I personally prefer the idea that the Grey Knights are so resistant to Chaos just because they are trained that well rather then having some element of the Emperor shoved into them. Too simple, too easy, too clean for the Warhammerverse in my eyes.

Its always been my opinion and I think some of the lore hints at this too (could just be my head canon) that the Custodes undergo a longer process of change and one that is unique to each individual. So instead of gene-seed they are augmented slowely over time from an early age. I hope this doesnt get an explanation, too many things are being fleshed out to be honest.

As for the whole Grey Knights are 'Emprah Gene-Sons' ... well lets just say Grey Knights havent had a codex since 3rd edition and leave it at that :P

What is Gene seed specifically? Is it an actual thing or is it genetic data literally woven into all the DNA of the recipient?

I believe its both, the term 'Gene-seed' specifically refers to the  Astartes progenoid glands, each of which store the genetic meterial used to culture new organs for the next generation of warriors, these organs were once also grown from a previous generation of progenoid glands carrying the same genetic material all the way back to the Primarch. Think of it like Gen Y will be used to culture Gen Z stock while Gen Y was cultured from Gen X stock.

Each Astartes has 2 of these glands, one in the chest and one in the neck (theres some debate on whether they can be removed pre-mortem without killing the marine). Having 2 glands each allows a chapter to perpetuate itself and stock the required genetic material in the event of a catastrophy or to found a new successor chapter.

...or something like that :P

What is Gene seed specifically? Is it an actual thing or is it genetic data literally woven into all the DNA of the recipient?

I believe its both, the term 'Gene-seed' specifically refers to the  Astartes progenoid glands, each of which store the genetic meterial used to culture new organs for the next generation of warriors, these organs were once also grown from a previous generation of progenoid glands carrying the same genetic material all the way back to the Primarch. Think of it like Gen Y will be used to culture Gen Z stock while Gen Y was cultured from Gen X stock.

Each Astartes has 2 of these glands, one in the chest and one in the neck (theres some debate on whether they can be removed pre-mortem without killing the marine). Having 2 glands each allows a chapter to perpetuate itself and stock the required genetic material in the event of a catastrophy or to found a new successor chapter.

...or something like that :tongue.:

Surely it must be both for it to refer to the emperor though? It's wrapped up with so much spiritual reverence, even from 30k marines, that it could be used in the abstract too. And unless the emperor went to the trouble of installing some progenoids in himself, it's fair to say that he was setting up the GK with his own genetic legacy in some other form. Maybe lab-grown cloned geneseed on Luna or something.

Archived