[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Slips, that is an excellent post. My gaming mind jumped at combat options once I saw the linked image of the GS cult truck - but it is indeed sensible to check our targets first. It's quite in character for a BA successor, too.

Well, mostly ...if we exclude. Varvost or Gabriel Seth ;)

Narrative and rules wise - are assuming Sabaan can operate the Chimera from an Enginseer tabernacle in the troop compartment ( as in the Rhino ) or does he have to squeeze himself in the turret ( can he even do that physically?) or in driver compartment? I am also assuming he could access only one of the Chimera's weapon system. The Multilaser is currently our best anti vehicle option?

Xin, I'll check the stats a little later this morning, but I think the Heavy Bolter might be slightly better...

Edit:

CM beat me to it on the numbers...

That being said, the Hull Heavy Bolter does get tearing with a higher base pen... so if we bump the multi-laser to pen 5 to match the heavy bolter, we get it doing 2d10+7... this has both doing minimum 9 damage, while the max damage (not counting RF) at 18 v 27, with averages being 13/14 vs 18.... so after looking at the numbers I'm going to change my answer and say that the Multi-laser is the better at busting armour... surprisingly.

It really shows just how much better Astartes weapons really are... Akkad's heavy Bolter is putting out 1d10+12 Pen 5... guess the one on the Chimera must be a smaller bore size....:huh.:

Really puts things into perspective from TT stats....

Edited by Steel Company

Xin: 

Per the Only War rulebook, the Multi-Laser is 150m -/-/6 2D10+10E Pen 2 and the Heavy Bolter is 150m -/-/6 1D10+8X Pen 5. 

We have had Greysight driving the Chimera before though I would agree that Sabaan isn't likely to fit (especially with the added bulk of the servo-arm) and so we can assume he can interface with the machine spirit somehow. 

It really shows just how much better Astartes weapons really are... Akkad's heavy Bolter is putting out 1d10+12 Pen 5... guess the one on the Chimera must be a smaller bore size....:huh.:

When I GM'd Inquisitor games the Bolters there were 2D10+4, but I only allowed human Bolters to be 2D10 due to being smaller calibre.  The lower damage could be size or an abstraction of propellant quality or volume.

Or a distinct lack of baldness and Rage that generally powers Astartes weapons, tanks, aircraft....

MR.

When I GM'd Inquisitor games the Bolters there were 2D10+4, but I only allowed human Bolters to be 2D10 due to being smaller calibre.  The lower damage could be size or an abstraction of propellant quality or volume.

Or a distinct lack of baldness and Rage that generally powers Astartes weapons, tanks, aircraft....

MR.

Speaking of that, things get really interesting when you start looking at Astartes Vehicle mounted Heavy Bolters  in RoB (I went through the Errata twice, they were not addressed there)...

The ones on a Land Raider / Dreadnought / Predator / Storm Raven do a staggering 2d10+10X Pen 6 -/-/10

Land Speeders / Thunderhawks punch in at 3d10+1 Impact Pen 6 -/-/10

Remember that being in Power Armour imposes some pretty harsh penalties to stealth unless you take the requisite skills and/or Talents especially those that are available to Raven Guard and their successors.

-30 IIRC, and though the Raptors are a Raven Guard successor they don't get those talents.

That said he gets +10 for staying still and it's a needle sniper rifle, and if all else fails a little cover is still a good thing :p

-30 IIRC, and though the Raptors are a Raven Guard successor they don't get those talents.

That said he gets +10 for staying still and it's a needle sniper rifle, and if all else fails a little cover is still a good thing :tongue.:

Plus you're in the dark, above them, in the middle of night, and they're on clanky zoomy claptrap vehicles.

If those trucks are anything like a 4 tonner, you hear NOTHING from the 5,000 rivets riding in close formation and the damn road noise...

If you pop the lead driver AT, I'll zap the back wagon to close them up, then the assaultbois and Xin the Multilaser jockey can get stuck in?

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Got called in for work late this evening...just popping a placeholder up for narrative/ action declaration...

Luckily it should be last week on call duty for this year so I can hopefully fill up the blanks over the holidays....

Got called in for work late this evening...just popping a placeholder up for narrative/ action declaration...

Luckily it should be last week on call duty for this year so I can hopefully fill up the blanks over the holidays....

Well I wish you an easy evening at work then Xin!

Well we are brothers from different fathers after all... if we all just got along right away, we should have played one chapter. :wink:

Edit:

Place holder replaced:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344357-kill-team-blackthorn-the-halls-of-the-blind/?p=5213344

Edited by Steel Company

Upgraded Lasguns could mean hot-shot lasguns....

That's my thinking.

Lots of men too.  They either knew we were here, or it's a horribly interesting happenstance, giving that the killers of the Astropaths would have no reason to return...except us...

One of them tries to shoot us, it fails hilariously and we just use hilariously overwhelming force in self-defense.

Yup. :wink:

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Despite a hotshot lasgun having pen6 iirc, its still like 1d10+3/4 meaning vs our TB8 hed need to roll pretty high on the damage values for anything to stick.

Meanwhile, my fist in PA can deal that damage in SB alone :p

One hot-shot Lasgun isn't much to worry about, but a mag 20-30+ horde would quickly make that 3d10+3/4 pen 6 that cannot be dodged....

Edit:

Reference joke image:

http://img14.deviantart.net/07b5/i/2006/298/7/6/a_message_from_the_inquisition_by_the_imperial_guard.jpg

Edited by Steel Company