[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Good to see you hanging on there Reyner! Do not let that weak flesh hold you back ;) 

I am still switching between reading and writing :)

Think I will spent some of the the xp on a raise of WP and Tech Use  + 20 (from IH advance) to represent the close combat and work with the Voice ...

Maybe put in a place holder along the way but I do not want to disrupt the flow of the conversation going on at present..,

As a bit of foreshadowing and to add to my musing on the email chain, I see Sabaan mostly musing on if he was too weak to spot the taint in Akkad and if that somehow taints him and the rest of Blackthorn... or if it is possible for Akkad to have remained loyal despite the obvious flaw of his chapter. He will also have (again) volunteered to execute Akkad himself... both to rid himself of any guilt, because he doesn’t trust anyone else to do it and sees it as a sort of final dignity not to have him suffer at the hands of some imperial lackeys...

he will likewise have insisted to have limited the Apothecary to Yeng  and Solastion (who have some working experience and with Sabaan already having trust issues not being to keen to have anyone else catch him outside some of his armor) ...

and might have sparred with some of Blackthorn... with a bit more gruffness than usual as he attempts to discern if any more are tainted...

otherwise he is meditating on his failures and attempting to commune with the echos of the elders of the clan he believes reside within his machine parts...

fell free to drop thoughts or use some of that from your POV if you like

Awesome post, Sobek! I enjoy how you're bringing life to an obscure Astartes Chapter. Oddly we seem to have a rather large contingent of Marines who believe in the Emperor as a death god!

Further to Lysimachus's post, I've found IMGUR the best place to host pictures before posting them here.

It looks like almost every player has got a post in (or explained that they'll be indisposed.) I think we are just waiting for a couple more, and then I will be updating tomorrow or Monday.

Thank you all for your fantastic efforts thus far!

I am setting up a rough draft and need to keep this from becoming a novella....

I had somewhat expected the reveal of Astral Claws Betrayal to be at some later point, so that it would be easier for Sabaan to hold onto the team at least. The way I wrote things especially during the final battle on the Hive ship ( are you able to read those btw? They still look jinxed on my phone), I wanted to set up an excuse for him opening up a bit emotionally. Now, he just gets one in the kidneys for that and wonders if all that emotional jinx is due to him being opened to treason...not a good starting point for the new guys....

I a, currently weighing in him having a training duel with Tyber under the pretense of looking into the workings of his war plate and attempting to sniff out if Tyber has been tainted from his moves and such...

I also think about him facing Vor in a similar way,  and  literally struggling between if it would have been better if Vorr just shot Akkad and if it is a sign of weakness or a sign of the Red Talon. Ring able to reign in his fury until evidence is presented. It probably ends with a literal brawl and a lot of shouting, fist and head butting

Feel free to use Sabaan in some such way if you like - he will probably agree to an attempt to seize up Atratus and Greysight...also with their patient hunter styles and Sabaan’s rather non verbal tendencies that would be more suited to a graphic novel than a post here ;)

Aside from Vor he will probably steer mostly clear of Swordhand at this point outside of urgent duties. Sabaan has his hands and head full enough lining up the brothers he has come to know...Yeng might be the exception as they might meet during a check up or during a ritual integration of bionics to a member of the killteam. I always picture Yeng as the type of guy you’d expect to find running a curio shop in Chinatown and his nature and deadpanning is puzzling to Sabaan, so he might find an unexpecting opening in Sabaan,s mental armor and get him thinking...

Now, less random musing and back to the scribbling...

Sounds awesome, Xin - will be great to get a glimpse into the very introspective Sabaan.

(Sabaan may purchase Hatred (Astral Claws) as an elite advance for 0XP... :tu: )

Perhaps consider putting up a placeholder to reserve your space and give you a bit more time to write/coordinate with others.

I like the sound of Sabaan and Vorr having a reckoning, as sons of Ferrus Manus!)

Thanks Mol! I always appreciate your encouragement.

I will say I had to build up the confidence to start. The caliber of writing in this group is astounding and I have enjoyed reading their entries. You guys are amazing!

I have a question about the Badab War. Is it still ongoing? Has it just concluded? I’m unsure of the timing. I wanted to get a better feel before providing Pyke’s perspective.

The canon end date for the war is 913.M41. Our game takes place during 918. But as it is hard to guarantee accuracy of dating across the galaxy, and it takes time to send information through the warp or through astropaths, I imagine it can take time for news to disseminate throughout the Imperium. I wanted something evocative of the run-down aspect of the 40k universe.

The spread of writing styles and narrative flavours we have in the thread is pretty tasty, I'll agree. Hell I might even toss my own sycophantism into the pot before it becomes too stale and say I think you're all pretty cool and I'm looking forward to seconds (and thirds, and then fourths...) 

Our game, by the nature of the format (on a forum, asynchronously, across multiple time-zones) and due to the interests of the players (or writers) involved, straddles the line between a roleplay and a collaborative short-form fiction writing group, adapting to the prompts I provide you with.

I suppose it depends what you mean by "interaction." I'd rather avoid breaking the immersion of the game by using users' forum names in the middle of the thread. If your character directs a question at another Marine, or looks at them, or thinks about them - you should use their character name.

Players should in the main avoid taking agency away from other players. This manifests in several ways - asking players permission to include characters in their posts, collaborating via PM for joint posts, and an awareness to edit posts after-the-fact if necessary.

There are times, where possible, where I will ask players what scenes they want to have occur, and we can arrange for them to happen. Equally, if there are things players would like to experience, this thread is the place to do so.

After the initiation ceremony, things will open up somewhat; you will have a bit of free rein to inhabit your character and make some connections with other Marines.

Welp - I'm last, but I hope it's at least worth the wait!

I tried to work with the info from the existing flashbacks to the fight aboard the hive ship while putting my own spin on it, but I'm sure there are at least a couple of discrepancies. Gee, Boros' memory sure is fuzzy... :whistling:

I'd be well up for Vorr and Sabaan to batter the living crap out of each other in the sparring cages, Vorr would be saying Ferrus was a fool for charging headlong into the traitor lines (rich coming from him though he would probably be one of the first marines to pull a Leeroy). At the minute I don't have the brain power to write anything at the level of the recent awesome posts though :D

Yesterday was a fluke back to feeling arse today haha

Edited by Reyner

Though I didn't get an IC post up after the Badab revelation before the end of Episode II, here are my thoughts on Teralil's reaction:

I don't think that Teralil would have been overly affected by the loss of Akkad. They weren't in the same kill team, and hadn't formed any sort of bond during episode II. I think the thing he would be most bothered by is the reports of the Astral Claws' Codex violations that preceded the Badab War.

During the past few months, Teralil has been at work reconsecrating the wargear of the soon-to-be-awakened brothers of Swordhand, and possibly meeting with fellow scions of Guilliman?

Placeholder filled. Because there are now a lot of players, I've embedded a link within the text to Oto Yeng's character notes, in case you'd like a quick look at who he is.

Slightly frustrating experience, as I accidentally navigated away and lost the original! The replacement is necessarily a bit curtailed, but on reflection, sometimes brevity is good. I know I lost references to Montesa, Solastion and Vârvost; apologies for that – I had hope to touch more on them, to develop things a bit further. Alas – for a future time.

Nice to have a bit of space to reflect and expand on the Gatebreakers. I hope that his interactions with Teralil, Helgrim and Greysight ring true – do let me know if you'd prefer any bits to be tweaked or chopped. 

...and as to Boros and Embe; looking forward to re-meeting you!

Edited by apologist

Welp - I'm last, but I hope it's at least worth the wait!

I tried to work with the info from the existing flashbacks to the fight aboard the hive ship while putting my own spin on it, but I'm sure there are at least a couple of discrepancies. Gee, Boros' memory sure is fuzzy... :whistling:

Don't worry, Brother. That "honour" belongs to myself and Pallan. Work, disciplinary matters with the fire brigade (I hate people some times...) and ill health have meant I am yet to get something up for the apothecary.  Today, hopefully, but I have a few other things to deal with first.  Damned neighbours kids have been swearing at and throwing things at my three year old boy through our fence so I need to replace it with a nice 6 foot steel one.  Tempted to electrify it too....

Don't worry, Brother. That "honour" belongs to myself and Pallan. Work, disciplinary matters with the fire brigade (I hate people some times...) and ill health have meant I am yet to get something up for the apothecary.  Today, hopefully, but I have a few other things to deal with first.  Damned neighbours kids have been swearing at and throwing things at my three year old boy through our fence so I need to replace it with a nice 6 foot steel one.  Tempted to electrify it too....

:unsure.: ...man, kids can be a pain sometimes. I should know.

Hope things normalise themselves soon - With the myriad of different posts so far, I'd love to see what you come up with for Arcost.

...and as to Boros and Embe; looking forward to re-meeting you!

Right back at you!

Hi Argent,

Please don't worry - we all have real life issues that intrude! If you'd like, you could post a placeholder and then you can backfill later?

I'll hold off updating until you've posted so you've had an opportunity to introduce your character.