[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

Apologies for my inactivity! I was slightly busy in the last few days. I wanted to have a query about weaponry, would a Meltagun be any good for ship and close-quarters combat? I was thinking that Gideon might take one, as well as a melee weapon, if possible?

Apologies for my inactivity! I was slightly busy in the last few days. I wanted to have a query about weaponry, would a Meltagun be any good for ship and close-quarters combat? I was thinking that Gideon might take one, as well as a melee weapon, if possible?

As Chaka said in RP, meltaguns are excellent for close quarters combat, and a voidship is about 90% close quarters. The damage and penetration is insane, their only weaknesses are the short range. Well, the clip is also quite small, 6 shots for a normal meltagun before you have to spend 2 full actions to reload, but if you hit with them you'll be able to take out a Leman Russ Battle Tank before you switch to your sidearm and take out what little resistance remains.

"...he'd always wanted to have a go with that weapon or even an Infernus Bolter the one Akkad had modified had been very destructive.

Blimmin' Cheek! :p

Oh, alright then, seeing it's you. :whistling:

You realise it's like 40 Req right? ;)

MR.

Vorr just appreciates the destructive capability he doesn't want Akkads unless it's going spare hehe

Arming

Assuming that the stuff we requisitioned last time has to be returned (is that correct?), my plan is to take an exceptional quality Reductor and pull Yeng's chainsword, Begtse, out of mothballs. That's just 20 requisition. If I need to spend it personally, I'll take the breaching augur I did before (something capable of cutting through bulkheads and the like seems immensely practical), and possibly some Metal Storm ammunition. Low-velocity shots are probably safer in a ship graveyard, and as a Kill Team we're quite well-stocked with snipers and precision weaponry.

Mission planning

Yeng's got a considerable amount of experience in serving with his Chapter's fleet, and general ship-board combat: much of the Gatebreakers' modus operandi is trailing round vast areas of space – often very weird space, owing to the anicent nature of the Galactic halo beyond the rim – to find enemy ships trying to attack friendly worlds. Is that something that might have an in-game application?

I'm thinking of him suggesting tried-and-true modifications to the scanners to allow us to more easily or precisely detect ships; or perhaps to more easily distinguish between Imperial/non-Imperial human/non-human vessel traces. Secondly, his fleet experience might have given him some ideas for the pilot to safely traverse the characteristics of the region we're visiting. If he can have some information on the anomolies, he might be able to suggest ways to make the path safer or surer.

...and finally, Yeng picked up the Wisdom of the Ancients as a narrative upgrade, allowing him to apply the teaching of the Tenets (his Chapter's not-quite-Codex Astartes equivalent) to events. I wonder if the preparatory step is a good place to use this, or whether it's meant to be used during the mission itself?

Apologist - I've emailed giving you a few options. I would strongly encourage you to upgrade your Chainsword to exceptional quality at the very least. AHP has referred to purchasing the Bulkhead Shears as a group purchase, so that's certainly something that could be done.

Yeng's knowledge of voidcraft is definitely something that could come into play, both narratively and mechanically, once the Kill-Team reach the Abyss. Regarding Wisdom of the Ancients, the rules seem to specify "during a combat", so I'm going to do some reading around to see if I can find out how other GMs have applied it.

Mol/Reyner:

No, seriously man, you can loan it/Req it. If Mol allows :). It's only fair since I used your name for a character in my book ;)

MR.

Dude. That's awesome! I haven't forgotten about those Astral Claws transfers by the way life got in the way :D I'll get em sent out Edited by Reyner

Upon reflection, I'm gonna requisition the following for Achillion:

EMP Grenade - 30

Psy Focus - 15

I have 2 questions (mainly for Mol):

1. Can I say that the Psy Focus is something Achillion owns to make it more personal? (still paying the Req - just so I can personalise it instead of grabbing one from Fasume)

2. I've just realised that Achillion doesn't have the Invocation skill which is an oversight on my part. Can I switch it out for one of the default skills on our sheet? Tracking and/or Concealment seem like the best options if I'm allowed, he's not that subtle. XP cost for Invocation is 400, then a further 400 for Invocation +10. If this doesn't work well as a straight trade I'm okay with shuffling talents around a bit. I completely missed the Invocation skill during my read through of the rules, and just caught it when I read the description for a Psy Focus.

@CM out of curiosity, do you have the differences between common, exceptional and master craftsmanship codified anywhere for weapons? In the core rules it says that it's largely left up to GM discretion what the different grades will grant you, as opposed to Black Crusade or Only War. Cheers!

There's a box on p.147 of the Core Rulebook that lays it out (typical FFG putting things in random places)

Basically, Exceptional weapons are +1 Damage and Reliable (+5WS for Melee Weapons)

Master-Crafted weapons are +2 Damage and never Jam or Overheat (+10WS for Melee Weapons)

EDIT: Mojake - I'm happy for the Psy Focus to be something that you "own", even if it's not Signature Wargear. However I'd prefer you to try to re-jig your skills to acquire Invocation.

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Is the forge master like the guy in the shack on I'm a Celebrity or does he actually talk a bit? :D

One multi melta, bolt pistol and chainsword please my good man! The missile launcher is signature wargear so goes back in Vorrs room tucked up in its own little bed.

Thanks - unfortunately there's nothing I've purchased that's worth giving up for Invocation. Can I still use Invocation if I haven't taken the skill? If not, there's no point requisitioning the focus.

Is the forge master like the guy in the shack on I'm a Celebrity or does he actually talk a bit? :biggrin.:

It always helps to have a talky forgemaster. Someone who can taunt the enemy into firing on them rather than all the other squishy marines with less than half the armour. Perhaps a big shoulder-mounted spotlight too.

Thanks - unfortunately there's nothing I've purchased that's worth giving up for Invocation. Can I still use Invocation if I haven't taken the skill? If not, there's no point requisitioning the focus.

I will have a look at your character sheet and see if I can come up with a workable proposition for you!

"Captain Diocles says I'm allowed terminator armour and a cyclone missile launcher mate sort us out"

"I don't like your business plan, your dress sense is atrocious and your haircut says you're more at home scribbling graffiti about 'Orkses Bestest'."

"I'm out."

(With thanks to Mojake.  ;) )

DB.

Is the forge master like the guy in the shack on I'm a Celebrity or does he actually talk a bit? :D

One multi melta, bolt pistol and chainsword please my good man! The missile launcher is signature wargear so goes back in Vorrs room tucked up in its own little bed.

Careful, one wrong word about the Omnissiah and he slams the blast shutters down and won't give you anything...

Blimey, so many people going for Meltas, we'll all need to keep our helms firmly in place to protect us from hull breaches!! :P