[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

I think we're quite strong on anti-tank/monster with 4 melta weapons* (and a plasgun!). Close combat is also decent with power sword, power axe, servo arm and force axe. I think at least 1 Flamer* might not be a bad idea?

*Question re combis for those who are better at rules: are they worth it? For example, combi-melta is 15 and can only be shot once every other turn as it needs reloading. Is it worth paying the extra 5 Req (if we've got it going spare) to have a full Meltagun for 20? Can't remember the cost of a Flamer but same question?

So this is what I'm going to suggest as Lycus' loadout for this assignment. 

Exceptional quality Chainsword (He's not fancy): 8 Req. 

Auspex (Sneaksy Eldar): 12

1x clips Of Kraken Rounds: 15

Total: 35

10 spare for the pool

Edited by ApostleRP

I think we're quite strong on anti-tank/monster with 4 melta weapons* (and a plasgun!). Close combat is also decent with power sword, power axe, servo arm and force axe. I think at least 1 Flamer* might not be a bad idea?

*Question re combis for those who are better at rules: are they worth it? For example, combi-melta is 15 and can only be shot once every other turn as it needs reloading. Is it worth paying the extra 5 Req (if we've got it going spare) to have a full Meltagun for 20? Can't remember the cost of a Flamer but same question?

I see what you mean, but with the Melta's insane Damage and Pen I doubt more than one shot per meltagunner will be neccesary on most targets. Although missing the shot would be pretty bad... Still, the attached bolter makes the weapon quite versatile, especially for an assault marine like myself who lacks any long-range weapons in my basic kit.

Edited by Petragor

Combi weapons are useful, but not a total replacement.

For example, a combi weapon gets one shot of the combi shot, so if you miss, you're out of shots of that type. The upside is, you've got a bolter still, and with special ammo, you can often mimic what that combi weapon could do. Need to punch through armor, Kraken rounds. Need to set something on fire? Dragon bolts.

But if you think you'll need more than one melta shot, then spend the extra five and get a real melta gun.

So this is what i'm going to suggest as Lycus' loadout for this assignment. 

Master quality Chainsword (He's not fancy): 20 Req. 

Auspex (Sneaksy Eldar): 12

2x clips Of Kraken Rounds: 10

Total: 42

Sorry guys, only 3 spare for the pool >.<

I missed it too but Kraken is 15 per clip in the Errata.

I see what you mean, but with the Melta's insane Damage and Pen I doubt more than one shot per meltagunner will be neccesary on most targets. Although missing the shot would be pretty bad... Still, the attached bolter makes the weapon quite versatile, especially for an assault marine like myself who lacks any long-range weapons in my basic kit.

To be fair, you'd be surprised how fast you can cover ground as an assault marine, a run action should net you a 60m run and a charge of at least 30m, that is if your agility is in the 40's, if you are up in the 50's then you could reasonably have a charge 36m and a run of something absurd like 72m.

Hey Swordhand, couple questions before I make my decision on loadout. As much as I enjoy 40k lore I'm not too sure about the actual merchanics of Deathwatch so I dont want to choose something too useless. I was thinking Plasma Gun and Astartes Chainsword, but I may switch the chainsword out for breaching shears since that may be useful for shipboard action.

1.My WS isn't great (38) though so I'm not sure if I should be the one with breaching shears. Thoughts?

2. Should I switch out the plasma gun for something better at close quarters like a melta or shotgun?

3. If I do use the plasma gun should I throw a sight on it?

4. Am I able to carry my regular bolter, bolt pistol, special weapon (Plasmagun), and melee weapon or would that be a bit much to carry?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

To be fair, you'd be surprised how fast you can cover ground as an assault marine, a run action should net you a 60m run and a charge of at least 30m, that is if your agility is in the 40's, if you are up in the 50's then you could reasonably have a charge 36m and a run of something absurd like 72m.

True, but advancing 72m without the rest of the squad to properly back me up seems an easy way make it back into a stasis tank. Gotta be able to sit back and shoot the enemy if the situation calls for it.

Hey Swordhand, couple questions before I make my decision on loadout. As much as I enjoy 40k lore I'm not too sure about the actual merchanics of Deathwatch so I dont want to choose something too useless. I was thinking Plasma Gun and Astartes Chainsword, but I may switch the chainsword out for breaching shears since that may be useful for shipboard action.

1.My WS isn't great (38) though so I'm not sure if I should be the one with breaching shears. Thoughts?

2. Should I switch out the plasma gun for something better at close quarters like a melta or shotgun?

3. If I do use the plasma gun should I throw a sight on it?

4. Am I able to carry my regular bolter, bolt pistol, special weapon (Plasmagun), and melee weapon or would that be a bit much to carry?

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

1: Probably, but a backup chainsword for unexpected melee certainly won't hurt. A Chain-bayonet could also work though, choice is yours.

2: Plasma is cool, doesn't have pen as insane as melta but still a good gun. Just mind the overheat.

3: Absolutely, Overcharge is Single Shot only if I recall correctly, and a Red Dot will help immensely to make those every-other-turn shots count.

4: Weight-wise yeah, practically it may be an issue. It's probably better to let CM answer this.

1) If you're using the bulkhead shears to open a door (etc.), then you wouldn't need to use WS. It would be narrative - the fact that you have the shears is enough. They are Unwieldy, which means you can't use them to parry - but they do an incredible amount of damage in combat if they hit.

2) The Plasma Gun is good because it has the ability to fire on two different power levels. Swordhand seems to have quite a few melta guns (Gideon looks to be carrying one) so you absolutely can use something else if you wish. The Assault Shotgun from Rites of Battle has some cool things you can do with it (and there are a few different ammunition types you can add to it as well.)

3) You can use a sight if you wish - likely the red-dot laser sight.

4) You can carry all those, although it nears the top end of what I would accept.

EDIT:

Apostle - two notes:

Firstly, as mentioned, Kraken rounds are 15 each, rather than 5.

Secondly, Master-Crafted is locked behind a renown level - the most you guys can get is Exceptional (so an Exceptional Chainsword would be 8 REQ)

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Helgrim's standard equipment loadout:

• Crozius Arcanum
  • Chainsword
  • Combat Knife
  • Bolt Pistol
  • Krak Grenade x3
  • Frag Grenade x3
  • Jump Pack
Request for the forge master, depending upon the rest of the squad's loadout and/or our needs for horde-killing (though Helgrim will be a pretty brutal horde-slayer on a successful charge):

• Plasma Pistol, Exceptional Craftsmanship - 38 req

or...

• Flamer, Exceptional Craftsmanship w/ chain blade attachment - 24 req

or...

• Combi-flamer, Exceptional Craftsmanship - 38 req
Edited by Necronaut

If cool with Komrk, I'm gonna cut most of Titus' comments out from the previous post and add them once the whole squad is together, just flows better?

Edit: Question, has anyone written anything about Fasume yet i.e. physical descriptions and stuff, that we need to work around when writing our requisition posts?

Requisition updated.

Lycus Artemios Loadout: 

Combi-Melta with Fire selector and motion predictor (sig Wargear)

Bolt Pistol (Standard issue)

Combat Knife (Standard issue)

Ceremonial Sword (Standard issue)

1x Clip Hellfire rounds (Standard issue)

1x Auspex

1x Exceptional Chainsword

1x Clip Kracken rounds

Total requisition cost: 35

Surplus requisition: 10

"For some things, there's requisition. For everything else, there's MasterCa... THE EMPEROR'S WRATH"

Atratus Loadout:

Marksmans Rifle (Sig Wargear)

Chainsword (Standard issue)

Combat Knife (Standard issue)

Hesh boltgun (Bonus wargear) - replacing bolt pistol as sidearm

1x Clip Hellfire (Bonus wargear)

1x Power Sword

1x Maglock (for power sword)

1x Arcane weaponry upgrade (for rifle - type to be agreed)

1x Clip (explosive needle compound)

Edited by A.T.

If cool with Komrk, I'm gonna cut most of Titus' comments out from the previous post and add them once the whole squad is together, just flows better?

Edit: Question, has anyone written anything about Fasume yet i.e. physical descriptions and stuff, that we need to work around when writing our requisition posts?

Second this about Fasumé.

Necronaut - I've seen you flip-flopping a bit on the requisition sheet. You can have either of the weapons you've suggested (or, in truth, more than one) - all of them fit with a Chaplain of the Deathwatch. I liked the idea of Deliverance, your plasma pistol - but I'll leave it up to you.

Hi all.

Sorry for the Absence ... I had to self imposeva sort of digital / screen time detox to give my eyes time to recover. Did give some time to focus on my family , so not to sorry all in all ;)

But this has certainly been picking up speed in the meantime...the sheer volume of posts is a bit intimidating:p

I would rather learn from my follies - so it will take some time to read up and savour your works.

If someone could bring me up to speed regarding the state of Blackthorn especially, that would it easier to contribute to the fight they seem to be involved in

(would rather not continue just clogging things up with further placeholders)

If someone could bring me up to speed regarding the state of Blackthorn especially, that would it easier to contribute to the fight they seem to be involved in

(would rather not continue just clogging things up with further placeholders)

As a very brief precis:

• After the squads are assigned, the new Watch-sergeants took their teams aside for training (that's likely the combat you read)
  • After the combat, the Kill-Teams were summoned by the Captain for a briefing.
  • We were briefed by Inquisitor Grist, who has told us about a Rogue Trader family – believed extinct – with links to the Dark Lantern, the mysterious battleship which has appeared.
  • Blackthorn, along with Helgrim and Grist, are being deployed to Meggdon Prime.
  • Swordhand, along with Achillion, are being deployed to investigate the Rogue Trader family's fomer holdings in the Baltarian Abyss.

Second this about Fasumé.

A quick search in the IC thread directed me to this post:

The Astartes are not, as a rule, prone to sentimentality, and none of you arrived on Azurea with much other than a few keepsakes and your years of combat experience. As such, when the Watch-Captain orders you to transfer to the Voice of Thunder, it does not take long for the nine of you to gather in on of the Station's cargo bays. 

Azurea's Forge-Master, Fasumé, stands in the middle of the bay surrounded by monotask servitors mindlessly hauling crates onto the waiting ship. This is no Astartes craft - no Thunderhawk or Storm Raven. This is a flat-nosed, slab-sided cargo conveyor of the sort used by the Imperial Navy, capable of carrying hundreds of Armsmen. 

Fasumé is large for an Astartes, and his size is only enhanced further by the bulk of the servo-harness upon his back. The servo-arms move as though they were an extension of his own body - and many of you realise that this is close to the truth. His Chapter, the Marines Ascendant, are rumoured to come from the gene-legacy of Vulkan, and in this craftsman and commander you can see his echo. 

As you gather, he nods to Greysight and makes the symbol of the cog to Sabaan. His interactions with the rest of you during your tenure have been curt, and this is no exception. 

"I have received your requisition requests. Any equipment you are not already carrying and any items released unto you have been stowed already, and you will have access to them aboard the Navy vessel." One servo-arm indicates the Conveyor. "Respect the war-spirits of your wargear, and they will see you home again." 

He hands Sabaan a data-slate.

Emphasis mine.

One thing to look out for is that Mol seems to have changed his Chapter's name to Lions Regent as per the character thread, but apart from that, this should be up to date.

Edited by AHorriblePerson