[DW] Blackthorn and Swordhand: OOC Thread

Commissar Molotov

The reason I'm less than interested in diving right in there, as both heavy weapons are in over watch mode, first person to go in, is going to burn their dodge against one of them, but is going to have to eat the second one, the odds are not in our favor. Better to eliminate one before going in.

Akkad used his overwatch on Atratus. Thorvald probably gets his against your arm. Either way if you don't get into melee with both of them someone is going to get a point blank full auto heavy weapon shot next round

The reason I'm less than interested in diving right in there, as both heavy weapons are in over watch mode, first person to go in, is going to burn their dodge against one of them, but is going to have to eat the second one, the odds are not in our favor. Better to eliminate one before going in.

Akkad used his overwatch on Atratus. Thorvald probably gets his against your arm. Either way if you don't get into melee with both of them someone is going to get a point blank full auto heavy weapon shot next round

I was reading about Over watch this weekend, and apparently when ever the conditions are met, it is triggered, the wording implies that there is no limit to the amount of times it can be triggered. I'm counting on dropping Akkad with the Grenades this turn, that would allow Varvost to jump and engage Thorvald, I doubt he'll drop Thorvald in one turn with a charge, this will shut down both heavy weapons, letting me charge Greysight on my next turn.

As for Thorvald shooting at Tyber's hand, he could, but I'm thinking it'd be even less favorable for him to do so, as he is looking at semi-auto mode, he'd be looking at a modified BS of around -30 (BS base, -20 for Over Watch, -20 for puny target [hand] maybe even -30 for tiny target depending on how CM feels and +10 for semi-auto) as I'm not with in 20m he doesn't get +10 for half range....

My post is up MR, how's your dodge?:biggrin.:

Depends on a few things - if you're throwing from the bottom/side of the stairs, you're out of range....unless you aren't....:devil:

MR.

Three times SB, my SB is for all in that it matters is effectively 10, I'm with in 30m by moving slightly (not enough to trigger over watch, unless you want to try shooting at a puny or tiny target (-20 BS or -30 BS) depending on how CM wants to handle a hand...) tossing it slightly over to bounce down on you.... and totally ready to use my dodge if I have too.

edit:

failing that I could always charge, just have to burn a dodge most likely.

Edited by Steel Company

I was reading about Over watch this weekend, and apparently when ever the conditions are met, it is triggered, the wording implies that there is no limit to the amount of times it can be triggered. I'm counting on dropping Akkad with the Grenades this turn, that would allow Varvost to jump and engage Thorvald, I doubt he'll drop Thorvald in one turn with a charge, this will shut down both heavy weapons, letting me charge Greysight on my next turn.

Huh, i've not seen it used that way. Possibly because the that would suggest using "I declare overwatch on the 10 guys coming towards me, as soon as they do anything", and then take 10 combat actions in the round.

But it does seem to be written like that. I would have shot at Akkad if I had realised to use his dodge up - but going through that door to four guys on short range full auto overwatch is going to be suicide for anyone. With only a single dodge a round you either get killed by the heavy bolter or killed by the frag cannon, even before the other two open up.

Huh, i've not seen it used that way. Possibly because the that would suggest using "I declare overwatch on the 10 guys coming towards me, as soon as they do anything", and then take 10 combat actions in the round.

But it does seem to be written like that. I would have shot at Akkad if I had realised to use his dodge up - but going through that door to four guys on short range full auto overwatch is going to be suicide for anyone. With only a single dodge a round you either get killed by the heavy bolter or killed by the frag cannon, even before the other two open up.

Hence the grenades.... anything else is just asking to die.

Yes and no... if he can get into CQB with the Wolf, the rest of you guys are going to fold like a bad poker player.:wink: Problem is, we need to either shut you down or the Wolf down first... you just happened to be weakened.

I say this, as I said in the spoiler tags, based on my reading of R.A.W. for Overwatch, going in there right now is a death sentence, as according to the way it's written, every-time the conditions are met for your Overwatch trigger, Overwatch goes off. This is a very, very devastating thing, now R.A.I. I'm not sure if they wanted it to be that powerful or not, as I can see how letting a Devastator sitting in position with a Heavy Bolter in  Overwatch with a trigger to shoot anything that isn't a friendly with in his 45 degree cone (the max you are allowed under Overwatch) can get excessive... I mean think about it, if 10 Genestealers came at him down that cone, he'd get 10 attacks (one attack per Genestealer) on them before his next turn.

Really this is going to be something CM needs to figure out how to handle, as both have consequences for us, both good and bad.

Edit:

Also the Frag cannon seems a little OP for a rank 1 weapon....:huh.:

Edited by Steel Company

I don't really think overwatch is too powerful, a common sense approach needs to be taken there - especially when considering that overwatch fire is basically a deferred Full Action (for example full-auto) with specific triggers - but it gets a measure of control by the fact you have to abide by the conditions of the action deferred - using your example there might be 10 Stealers funnelling down my sights, but no matter my degrees of success I can still only hit 6 of them as that is the RoF I have, as Full Auto rules take over.

What gets a little more grey area is Suppressing Fire, which is a blistering hail of shells that just indiscriminately plasters everything in front of them, but requires two or more DoS to score a hit.  Again, RoF should be the limitation here by inference.

A bit of player discretion is best advised as well, as trying to "game" the overwatch with ridiculous conditions will meet a flat-out no and rightly.

As for the Frag Cannon - it works thematically I guess, but I'd rather have had a Heavy Bolter buddy for continuous application of firepower. :wink:

MR.

Like I said R.A.W vs R.A.I. when it comes to Overwatch, I'm more inclined to go with your approach in actually play, I was just pointing out a possible issue with it.

My issue with the frag cannon came from reading the entry for the entry for it, it's really meant as a vehicle to vehicle weapon system... double ap on two or more DOS basically kills an Astartes a round at 40m or closer.

Like I said R.A.W vs R.A.I. when it comes to Overwatch, I'm more inclined to go with your approach in actually play, I was just pointing out a possible issue with it.

My issue with the frag cannon came from reading the entry for the entry for it, it's really meant as a vehicle to vehicle weapon system... double ap on two or more DOS basically kills an Astartes a round at 40m or closer.

I think thats mainly because the FFG games didnt have the man-portable Frag Cannons we have access to now on the TT. Besides, its really going to be used against xenos more than it is against us :p

I'm just going to get this out of the way, if we find an auto cannon, I'm looting it... the Dragons like AC/s over Heavy Bolters. :wink:

Get the marksman talent and get a lascannon.

Shoot at targets up to 900m away without penalties!

I SEE YOU OVER THERE A KILOMETER AWAY AND NOT EVEN THE CURVATURE OF THIS PLANET WILL SAVE YOU

Edited by Slips

Love how you guys are literally throwing Varvost to the wolves here....:rolleyes:

What we really need is a bag full of krak grenades and some kind of squad mode to throw two per round :p

Going to take some pretty bad rolls for anyone to make it through that door alive against four rounds of overwatch with a single dodge to share between two heavy weapons, but some of the squad mode stuff might do it.

Going to take some pretty bad rolls for anyone to make it through that door alive against four rounds of overwatch with a single dodge to share between two heavy weapons, but some of the squad mode stuff might do it.

Squad Modes...with a couple of fate points here or there and a bolter in each fist...and overwatch....Oh my...!

Why didn't we think of that before?

Oh wait.....:happy.:

Dos/GM and Blue Team:

What surprises me more is that we've held them off so long...

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

It quite clearly goes to show how the system ( in DW at least ) is not designed to be competitive or PVP. It is designed to give a handful of Astartes a chance to hold of a horde of NPC. It is quite the Movie Marine theme.

Of course, I totally feel that rushing a room defended by a heavy support weapon ( or two ;) ) should be something to give a reasonable pause to anyone.

Just wait what Sabaan could pull off with a bolter in each hand a free servo arm swing at close quarters! Squishy little meatbags!

GM and Blue Team

And they shall know no fear....but may be allowed to beat around the bush quite a bit ? :)