Ad Mech VS Necrons Box in March

Charlo

Anyone else gonna wait until they’re released with more weapon option? I dunno, I’d like to have two to fill out my Super-Heavy detachment (I have three knights already), but I don’t want them to have the same loadout. I’d prefer some different weapons to compliment/synergizes with my knights, hopefully one with a mini-Gatling cannon, and one that’s basically a mini-Crusader.

I’m getting two of these.... splitting boxes with a Necron friend.

The truth is I personally feel they are inefficient at their current points. Honestly the one thing that I held as a positive even with their points was that they’d have the superheavies advantage which meant retreating from combat, moving/shooting normally, etc. But according to online reviews, these super heavies do not get that which further surprises me considering their cost.

So I’ve already committed to two sets, and I now know they probably won’t fit in with my Custodes....maybe I’m being too critical...they do carry two meltas for 240?

So last question is paint scheme. Do I just pair these up with my AdMech? Or do I pair them up with my Knights and commit to a ‘House’ theme?

I really think Knight dex is around the corner... not sure AdMech really need these and a Knight project could a lot of fun..

I threw some pics up on my blog of my current Knight work (including a some work I did for someone else) if anyone’s curious, but the schemes I did are all over the place lol.

The truth is I personally feel they are inefficient at their current points. Honestly the one thing that I held as a positive even with their points was that they’d have the superheavies advantage which meant retreating from combat, moving/shooting normally, etc. But according to online reviews, these super heavies do not get that which further surprises me considering their cost.

So I’ve already committed to two sets, and I now know they probably won’t fit in with my Custodes....maybe I’m being too critical...they do carry two meltas for 240?

So last question is paint scheme. Do I just pair these up with my AdMech? Or do I pair them up with my Knights and commit to a ‘House’ theme?

I really think Knight dex is around the corner... not sure AdMech really need these and a Knight project could a lot of fun..

I threw some pics up on my blog of my current Knight work (including a some work I did for someone else) if anyone’s curious, but the schemes I did are all over the place lol.

First off, I checked that link out and your painting is really nice, I'm guessing the big surfaces are airbrushed? As for knights, two Armigers are going to be my first ones but I plan on getting a big one later. I'll just paint them up as freeblades in a similar scheme as my admech force so they look somewhat uniform but can be run solo or with some other imperium force.

I personally hope that the standalone armiger box has two more ranged weapons and another close combat weapon, so you can make them dual CC weapon/ranged weapon. Hopefully just one box has enough different weeapons that you can end up making three distinct variants. 

As of right now these guys are severly overcosted in points, I feel like some people expected this to be "more than" a dreadnought with abilities and such but I didn't really and was as such disappointed it costs more than 200 points. But those points can shift and the models are cool. I also already sold off the necrons and already needed another box of rangers so it's crazy good value.  All in all I'm really psyched to get these models because from what I've heard they are really fun and easy to build.

Extrapolating from what we’ve seen so far, the Armiger seems to be roughly equivalent to “medium” tanks like the Hellhound and Taurox Prime: its chassis has stats only slightly better than the Hellhound and its Thermal Spear is equivalent to a longer range Devil Dog melta-cannon. Therefore, I’d expect alternative weapons to be in the same weight class, e.g. 60” Taurox Battle Cannon (Hvy d6 S7 AP-1 Dd3) or 30” Taurox Gatling Cannon (Hvy 20 S4 AP0 D1). If the Warglaive is the baby errant, those would be the baby Paladin and Warden respectively.

A variant with a Hellhound inferno cannon could be tasty...

First off, I checked that link out and your painting is really nice, I'm guessing the big surfaces are airbrushed? As for knights, two Armigers are going to be my first ones but I plan on getting a big one later. I'll just paint them up as freeblades in a similar scheme as my admech force so they look somewhat uniform but can be run solo or with some other imperium force.

I personally hope that the standalone armiger box has two more ranged weapons and another close combat weapon, so you can make them dual CC weapon/ranged weapon. Hopefully just one box has enough different weeapons that you can end up making three distinct variants. 

As of right now these guys are severly overcosted in points, I feel like some people expected this to be "more than" a dreadnought with abilities and such but I didn't really and was as such disappointed it costs more than 200 points. But those points can shift and the models are cool. I also already sold off the necrons and already needed another box of rangers so it's crazy good value.  All in all I'm really psyched to get these models because from what I've heard they are really fun and easy to build.

Thanks for the compliment.. yea there's some airbrushing in there, but as you can see I've done blue/white schemes, a grey knight type red/white, Admech Red/bone, etc.  It's hard to decide.

I agree... at first I was disappointed in the cost. Honestly I am hoping that GW is flipping on how they used to release stuff that was too cheap in points, and perhaps that means they are conservative now, and we can hope for reductions... but that being said it's dangerous to assume reductions while buying this stuff.

That being said I do not understand calling these "super heavies". So you get three command points with a full formation of them. That's great, but really they are super heavy in name only if they can't move/shoot heavies like normal and leave CC and shoot/assault like normal. 

That's the part that really made me question the setup and costing. A Super Heavy, as far as I know, can always do the stuff I mentioned above... Unless I'm missing something, they are setting a precedent here.

I jumped all over the Redemptor for my Ultra's and that is potentially the worst dread in the game, and it has a very similar profile to the Armiger. That's why I was okay with 240 points.... as long as it had "Super Heavy" status. I'll tell you moving a Redemptor, that is damaged one level, means shooting a Heavy Onslaught Gatling cannon (which is a glorified Heavy Bolter) hits on 5's! 

So it's early, and I'm still commited to my purchase, and I LOVE the idea of these super bots, but I'm doing this purely from a hobby stand point and I do not see this threatening my Dunecrawlers / chicken walkers. 

I'm starting to think this is a unit that will come into its own in the Knight codex.

Extrapolating from what we’ve seen so far, the Armiger seems to be roughly equivalent to “medium” tanks like the Hellhound and Taurox Prime: its chassis has stats only slightly better than the Hellhound and its Thermal Spear is equivalent to a longer range Devil Dog melta-cannon. Therefore, I’d expect alternative weapons to be in the same weight class, e.g. 60” Taurox Battle Cannon (Hvy d6 S7 AP-1 Dd3) or 30” Taurox Gatling Cannon (Hvy 20 S4 AP0 D1). If the Warglaive is the baby errant, those would be the baby Paladin and Warden respectively.

A variant with a Hellhound inferno cannon could be tasty...

As nasty as the gatling cannon would be I doubt we're gonna get something with that many shots.

For variant weapons were probably looking at something closer to an elite infantry killing option like an autocannon with heavy 4/6 str 7 ap-2/1 (might go lower shots but higher ap). Plus an anti hoard which probably follows the gatling cannon but more likely at heavy 12 if we're lucky.

If that happens I'll be picking up a couple to help with my dragoons deleting mass hoards, if not I might snag 1 just to paint.

Plasma would be nice for Ryza Style aswould Volkite, but I guess the Amigers will not get exotic weapons like this when normal Knights count them as Relics of old time, would make no sense fluffwise...

Are there pictures of all the heads? I have seen 2 so far, but red there are 4 inside the box?

No pics yet, I've only seen all four faces by pausing unboxing videos but there are indeed four. There's two on the torso sprue, one of which is the big central eye one. The other two are on the weapon and Mechanicus armour sprue and includes the other one we've seen painted. The unseen two have kind of mk 7 marine grills on them and otherwise are quite similar to the two eyed version from what I saw.

It's too pricey for being a worse relic contemptor with twin lascannon; Same cost, worse stats/primary weapon, same melee weapon, no chapter tactics(might be fixed in the knights codex), relic/LoW restriction. I'm still fielding two because they will match my Atrapos. Just wish they were a better choice. Perhaps with good knight <HOUSEHOLD> rules and they +3CP theyll be better

I'm not sold on this box, now, unfortunately. I like the idea of knights, but am not looking to start that army. I've already got a dominus and unbuilt rangers, so besides the Armigers I don't really need the box. Too bad, as the idea looks amazing, as do the Armigers.

Anyway, if any of the fellas want to throw in to buy the box with my gaming group then I still may pick it up for halves.

There seems to be absolutely zero reasons for ever taking an Armiger, unless you want it for fluffy/aesthetic reasons.

The melta lance is far inferior to a neutron laser and comes on a platform that is roughly as survivable as an Onager but far more expensive. Yes, the Armiger can punch a bit, but honestly that's not worth it. And certainly nowhere near what AdMech needs.

A sadly useless new addition. If it had Knight rules, then maybe. If codex:Knights gives all super-heavies new rules, maybe. But as it stands, as an AdMech player, I say either it gets a heavy pts discount, or much better weapons, or it just stays on the shelf (shop).

Pass for now, even if the model is quite nice.

I'm trying to get a buddy of mine to go in halves with me on a box, as he collects Necrons, and I'd like to add the mini-Knights to my Sisters. I wouldn't mind adding the AdMech guys to my force as allies. I've considered giving the character to my CSM force to use as a Warpsmith, but I might keep with my mini-Knights if he can help keep them on their metal-shod feet. Knowing nothing of the AdMech guys, I'll need to see the DataSheets to know for certain.

There seems to be absolutely zero reasons for ever taking an Armiger, unless you want it for fluffy/aesthetic reasons.

The melta lance is far inferior to a neutron laser and comes on a platform that is roughly as survivable as an Onager but far more expensive. Yes, the Armiger can punch a bit, but honestly that's not worth it. And certainly nowhere near what AdMech needs.

A sadly useless new addition. If it had Knight rules, then maybe. If codex:Knights gives all super-heavies new rules, maybe. But as it stands, as an AdMech player, I say either it gets a heavy pts discount, or much better weapons, or it just stays on the shelf (shop).

It still has worth. If you don't have room to add a detachment (or don't have points to fill one out) theyll be easier to add to a Knight detachment than a spearhead of Onagers.

That said, it costs too much. In most situations there are better options.

In general you are right, but on the other side the Amiger brings 3 usefull aspects to our army:

- Speed

- CC capability

- Durability

Maybe the lil Knight will find a place in some heavier lists, drawing away fire from some Kastellans or Onagers. Especially with the Rotate Ion Shield Stratagem he might be an excellent Distraction Carnifex.

Being a model that can be taken in a 1-3 unit it really is a shame they can't be teleported since they are a Knight. The points are steep, but using one Command Point to get 2-3 of these appearing in the wrong spot on a table really could cause problems. They really seem best suited for hunting large game however, you don't want them to get swarmed by chaff.

Wee we do already have speed+CC capability in Dragoons - which are also quite durable, after all. I don't want to make the comparison, but I'd take 3 and1/2 Dragoons over 1 Armiger any day.

AdMech really has no use for a subpar-pseudo-Dreadnought. 

If we are talking fun - sure, it could be nice to grab a few to make a thematic Knight-only force. But then again that has nothing to do with AdMech - rotate Ion shield is available also outside an AdMech detachment. My hope is that the codex will bring a pts discount, options, and more decent rules for these guys. At the moment they are a mere commercial attempt on the must-buy-the-new-model syndrome, but they have really no place in the game. That's quite sad.

Wee we do already have speed+CC capability in Dragoons - which are also quite durable, after all. I don't want to make the comparison, but I'd take 3 and1/2 Dragoons over 1 Armiger any day.

AdMech really has no use for a subpar-pseudo-Dreadnought.

This. It works roughly like 2 dragoons in CC and 1 onager on range, as costly as both, and as resilient as a single onager. There is simply no need for it, either role can be done better by onagers and dragoons, including forge world tactics, AdMech doctrinas and stratagems. I'll convert the two armigers I have, just for fun and ordinatusing (shelf decoration with unplayable models), but don't expect to field them anytime soon.