Ad Mech VS Necrons Box in March

Charlo

Well even Questor Imperialis Knights have cogs on them. Same with a lot of Imperial vehicles (Land Raiders, for example). The cog just represents that the AdMech were involved, not that it's aligned with them.

Tyriks they aren't talking about the skull and cog admech symbol you see on imperial vehicles. They mean the trimmings are cog shaped instead of weird pointed arrows like you see on regular knights, scions, and even the plastic commisars bionic arm.

Box up for pre-order next Saturday, then released on the 24th.

I could take them to Throne of Skulls...

Even though I've just bought a Custodes Army to use there...

Woah! That's two weeks before expected (from some of the other rumours floating around) But you seem to have reliable info so I better go scrape up some cash then. Any idea if it's possible that armiger rules leak before then? I don't know the process and hate the idea of spending money on them if they're god-awful, not that they have to be amazing but at least somewhat good would certainly be nice

Box up for pre-order next Saturday, then released on the 24th.

I could take them to Throne of Skulls...

Even though I've just bought a Custodes Army to use there...

Woah! That's two weeks before expected (from some of the other rumours floating around) But you seem to have reliable info so I better go scrape up some cash then. Any idea if it's possible that armiger rules leak before then? I don't know the process and hate the idea of spending money on them if they're god-awful, not that they have to be amazing but at least somewhat good would certainly be nice

WH Community site just released some info about it, saying they'll preview the contents of the box over the coming week.  So, presumably, we will see Armiger stats but probably not point cost.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/12/unit-focus-armiger-warglaivesgw-homepage-post-4/

The Armiger rules are up! They look pretty good in my opinion, although I had hoped that the thermal spear was strength 9 like the cannon. But I'm very happy they have an invulvnerable save and M14".

I will say that my prediciton for it's stats wasn't all that far off:
"I'd guess M12" BS3+ WS3+ S7 T7 W14 A4 LD8 Sv3+ and a 5+ invulvn against shooting (well maybe not but I hope)

The thermal spear , which is a badass name has the stats of the old thermal cannon and shorter range I'd guess. So Range 24" Heavy D3 S9 AP-4 Dmg D6 (12" melta range)

The reaper chain cleaver is a weaker chainsword so maybe S+3 AP-3 Dmg 3"

Edited by PiñaColada

Even though I like them, I don't see much use for them for admech at least. That thermal spear does nothing a neutron laser does not do much better on a dunecrawler.

The only benefit I see next to a dunecrawler is the flexibility for a bit of melee, but 4 attacks is not impressive, so unless these things are at max 200 pts, then it will be hard to earn home the points.

I was betting on the thermal spear having this profile, though at least the range was a little longer than I feared. The d3 hits was disappointing though, this seems like  high risk model, espcecially as it sounds like it cant leave combat as the larger knights, it needs dependable output to make any plan around.

So yea, so far I don't see how one of these will help me in any way compared to a dunecrawler, which is better against T8 and at least dependable minimum damage at any range, as well as full benefits from canticles.

Ion shields being against only shooting is also the big downfall for both knights and now these (and also melee robots). Models without invuls in melee just melts to anything which is actually good at melee.

I'd love for anyone to convince me about the worth of these, especially compared to dunecrawlers and chicken walkers.

where they are invaluable is putting pressure on the enemy forcing them to change there tack giving you the tactical inative.

the onagar is excellent but combined arms is the way forward not so much the more spammy lists of last edition I feel

Finally I return to the forums to say...

Eh, I feel these can be a good replacement / alternative to robots at the very least. They have double the wounds without needing to fuss or plan around a datasmith that can be killed, but will not be able to be healed as much. They can do both shooting and punching it seems, so it's less specialized, and It is a lot faster than the robots and chicken walkers it seems, so that helps. plus if you roll the weapons on onagers like I do your going to need a tertiary plan for when all 3 fail to do any damage...

plus, they are LoW, so it frees up another heavy support slot compared to robots, maybe for another onager or something. If they get a gatling gun outside of the boxset release I think these guys could have a lot more use, but for now it's a neat little alternative.

H'rmmm , well at 15 inches  2d6 pick the highest ... it's nice ...  I guess one just shoots this unit early hoping not to need the re-roll for shots.

for all of 20 seconds i .... was very happy " assault" that means I get to advance without the -1 as Metallica .... then i remember they dont get  " forge world benefits " and my smile vanished.

No mention of the pintle/top mounted weapon ... I hope it's a single heavy phosper blaster ....   or an additional melta ...
I would be very sad if it degraded to a heavy or Cognis Stubber.

Ultimately if it's under 200 points it will be excellent and taken ... if its more than 2 dragoons plus  2 las ballistari  which could do this role just as well.  

Edited by synthaside

This can't be more than 200 points right? Like the thermal spear is d3 hits so 2 average and round one you probably advance so hitting on 4+ equals one hit with a meltagun, probably in meltarange. That's hardly mindblowing so I really hope these guys are around 175 points. They're fast and somewhat durable but can easily be shot down/whiff hard or get bogged down by hordes so if they're 200+ points I can't really see why to take these over an onager and a dragoon.

Well now that the stats are out.... I still can't decide how many of these I want for my Mechanicus!

I mean it feels like a tank hunting, zippy, Contemptor, minus the 2+ save and FnP of course. But it'll have a few more wounds.

12wounds, 14" move.

I think my MM contemptor (custodes) comes in at 200. So this will probably sit around... 230-250 I'm guessing with the better movement, 2 wounds, and the juiced up MultiMelta.

If it's 250 I can see using these with Custodes as well as Admech.

Edited by Prot

Well now that the stats are out.... I still can't decide how many of these I want for my Mechanicus!

I mean it feels like a tank hunting, zippy, Contemptor, minus the 2+ save and FnP of course. But it'll have a few more wounds.

12wounds, 14" move.

I think my MM contemptor (custodes) comes in at 200. So this will probably sit around... 230-250 I'm guessing with the better movement, 2 wounds, and the juiced up MultiMelta.

If it's 250 I can see using these with Custodes as well as Admech.

If it's 250 points I wouldn't field them at all. I really like the models but compare them to a contemptor and I think the contemptor is better. The dreadnought has fewer wounds sure, but also has an invulnerable save in CC (a 4++ to boot) and most likely better WS and BS (it has 2+/2+). The speed of the armiger is good but the damage output is potentially quite mediocre. I really don't think they're worth more than 175 points from what we've seen so far but the might still have some tricks up their cogshaped pauldrons.

I don't know. If it's more than 200 points I don't really see why I would choose this over an onager and a dragoon. I'd still use it from time to time but it probably wouldn't actually be worth it in my opinion. Although there's an argument to be made that they're worth it just to help fill out a super heavy detachment.

I like em and eagerly await the other Variants. In terms of Ad Mech it's a true, fast Anti AV threat with forward pressure which is what we lack.

Popping the Canticles stratagem could help with cover or rerolls for a turn which isn't bad at all.

I wonder if you run more than one Armiger in one LoW slot makes them count as a unit (that can move induvidually after deployment presumably). That would make both Knights of the Cog and Rotate Ion Shields affect all of them in that unit for 1CP each, which would be a steal!

Depending on the points cost, these could be really useful, considering our lack of hard CC units, mobility, and the combination of the two. They actively threaten anything that gets too close to our lines, which is something we haven't had on that level. Maybe not tournament-grade stuff, but a welcome option.

With 14" move, anything that's spearheading for our lines will be in CC with at least one of them next round. Or, anything staying back, will be in range turn 2 due to assault weaponry and 15-20" advancing. This might not be an unstoppable battering ram, but a welcome distraction. Some units don't want to get close to it, and will therefore prioritize the AT on the knights, which in turn leaves our neutronagers in peace for a while. Compared to a full-sized knight, more models per points means more attacks, and spacing them out (or not) enables a balance between threat bubble size and concentration of forces.

To keep up the pressure, I might experiment with them a bit. Dragoons are the natural wingmen, a full-sized knight soaks up a bit too many points for my taste. As I'm playing Lucius, dropping plasma vanguard in their wake or CC baymaxes on the flank to box in the opponent might give it some more punch, to capitalize on the threat bubble. As said, it all depends on the points cost, but at least it's doing something else than our current choices.

I'm really tempted to convert the heat spear into a heat spear!

A decent shield in the other hand and we have a mini lancer

Then run my lancer and 2-4 'lancets' and cavalry charge ahoy!

Actually, why not convert dragoons to even smaller lancer knightlets, and run twice the number around your larger lancers? :whistling: