New Knight Castellan Revealed!

Vash113

I love the styling of the autocannons on the hulverin. The lance like circular shield is so thematic. Pait these up with carapace mounted stubber and they are handy flankers and anti horde units. I can see myself with 4 or 6 of these in my AM collection.

The shield fits the theme, true, but it bothers me that it doesn't protect the ammo drums.

They are saying 'Rotate Ion Shields' costs 3 CP to use on the Dominus class...

That's Rubbish.

That's absolutely insane if true. Maybe 2cp would be okay but honestly even 1 CP is fine since it only affects a single knight

I fear it seems to be. It's from the podcast, and they appear to be reading straight from the codex...

Makes the regular questoris a more interesting choice in my opinion. 3++ is really strong. Combined with the supposed mechanic for fighting models in ruins and the extra speed over the dominus class and you get a really balanced knight.

Hoping the preceptor lascutter has a close combat profil and the other weapons are exotic, maybe some admech shoulder pads. :P

I'm very swiftly getting to a place where the Dominus looks like a horrible mess of a points expense :'(

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, I want to believe, but my faith is waning. 

My issue with the dominus is how does it survive a smashguinius, it won't get it's overwatch, and it doesn't have an invulnerable in close combat, making it super vulnerable.

It likely won't.

That Knight more than most, is going to be horribly vulnerable to assault. Likely by design.

It has poor WS, no close combat options, no close combat save, rely's entirely on just the stomp, and it's very slow (for a Knight). People will be assaulting them, and they will die rapidly to good assault troops.

Yeah. Not unreasonable for it to have a weakness. But that's what makes the Valient such a risky knight it wants to be close.

Also looks like we are not getting objective secure, so traditions that give heroic intervention will be super important for anyone who wants to play the objectives game.

I'm very swiftly getting to a place where the Dominus looks like a horrible mess of a points expense :'(

I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, I want to believe, but my faith is waning.

The more I read and think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that I will be just sticking with regular knights.

An Crusader with Gatling + RFBC looks pretty sweet with it point changes. Add in a 4++ / the gatling Relic, you got a real nice model.

The big winner for me from what we know so far, is the humble Lancer.

It's now the most durable Knight in the game. It gets a 4++ in close combat (3++ with Strat), make it the Warlord and now it gets a 4++ (3++ with Strat against shooting too...) It already had 27 wounds, can auto regen some a turn, anything that can really worry it in CC get's a negative modifier because of it's shields rule.

It does huge damage. Can natively now increase that with a reliable extra attack, and it can have a 24" average threat range...

I'm certain from reading Hermanistas comments, (who's a far more experienced competitive player than I am) he's thinking down pretty similar lines...

It's a monster. Pair one or more with Armigers to shore up it's shooting weakness, and you have a nasty, nasty list.

Oh, and it's also cheaper than some of the basic Questorus options. (Actually, I'm not thinking about the point decreases... so possibly I'm wrong there. It's certainly cheaper than many of the other Knights in the range anyway).

I don´t know man... Sure I can see your point it is tanky as hell which could be quite handy indeed. But I´m not really impressed from it´s offensive output,...

I don't know yet the efficiency of those but I can see myself with 2*3 hulverin/armiger (2 LoW bataillons = around 1000pts) in addition to many admechvanguards/plasma.

Or eventually 2*3 with only one IK 

I was thinking about something quite similar:

One LOW detachment with a crusader + 2 Armiger / Helverins. An Stygies Batallion with lots of Skitarii, a unit of Dragoons and maybe some Crawlers.

The Lancer and Atrapos are certainly contenders for my Warlord for the opening games I'll play.

Infact a Atrapos has the speed, potential staying power and damage output with the right household trait to mess up a Valiant.

If your dropped some damage on the Valiant already, even better

I'm worried about the survivability of the Dominus. 3CP for +1 to ion is rough. It's effectively a Questoris but with a few more wounds. With the 4++ trait and only 1CP it would be much easier to keep alive than a Dominus. Even a Dominus with the 4++ it rough to pay so much for a 3++ that is so much easier to get elsewhere.

Before we get our knickers in a twist, do we know that the dominus has a 5+ ion shield. If it has a 4+, then makes sense that buffing it to a storm shield level invun will be a lot of CP. It seems like there's going to be quite a few 2 CP strats, so hopefully we have plenty of ways to get a lot of CP to start or farm them in game

Before we get our knickers in a twist, do we know that the dominus has a 5+ ion shield. If it has a 4+, then makes sense that buffing it to a storm shield level invun will be a lot of CP. It seems like there's going to be quite a few 2 CP strats, so hopefully we have plenty of ways to get a lot of CP to start or farm them in game

I was just going to ask that, I assume it's 5++ but if it's 4++ then I'm totally okay with a 3CP rotate ion shield

Honestly if you can't keep a large enough area around the dominus cleared with armigers to prevent slamguinius from dropping on him you've probably already lost, especially since you have a whole turn with the flamer before he can drop on you. Just make sure he can't deploy within 12" and you're golden.

I don´t know man... Sure I can see your point it is tanky as hell which could be quite handy indeed. But I´m not really impressed from it´s offensive output,...

Well, you're killing roughly 13 GEQ a turn with one, and 12 wounds per round to a Knight on average, 30 wounds worth of damage being possible.

That's not to shabby for the cost.

Archived