New Knight Castellan Revealed!

Vash113

Some key things I noticed.

Knights can fall back over swarms now, for 1 CP all knights in a detachment gain -1 AP on their stubbers, death grip could be a great way to take out low strength characters, multi-laser option on the Preceptor, max shots with the building is only for one weapon and means skipping a turn of shots, the charging a unit in ruins is a strat and can't use the feet. Everything else was pretty much known.

And... the Terrain piece is crap.

You have to give up your whole shooting & charge phases in order to get D3 wounds, a 6" extra move, or one single weapon to get full number of shots the next turn. 

“Unlike other Lords of War, you’ll be able to fit up to three Armigers in a single slot, making filling out a Super-heavy Detachment – and netting three Command Points – easy!”

...do GW just write rules whilst drinking. Don’t understand how they can flip flop on armigers. What changed within a couple of weeks? Can someone smarter then me explain this? I’m really lost

It could easily be a decision that they changed after the codex was printed. 

Calm down everyone. Wait for the FAQ. Submit reasoned feedback to them. Be patient. No codex release yet has been perfect and without errors. Except maybe Deathwatch? I wasn't following that release too closely to tell.

“Unlike other Lords of War, you’ll be able to fit up to three Armigers in a single slot, making filling out a Super-heavy Detachment – and netting three Command Points – easy!”

...do GW just write rules whilst drinking. Don’t understand how they can flip flop on armigers. What changed within a couple of weeks? Can someone smarter then me explain this? I’m really lost

It could easily be a decision that they changed after the codex was printed. 

Calm down everyone. Wait for the FAQ. Submit reasoned feedback to them. Be patient. No codex release yet has been perfect and without errors. Except maybe Deathwatch? I wasn't following that release too closely to tell.

Aothaine, stop being so reasonable. I've at least another hundred pitchforks to sell to meet my quota, and defusing all this outrage with your very sensible suggestions isn't going to buy me a yaugt..yught..yaghut... a boat any time soon! :P

Aothaine, stop being so reasonable. I've at least another hundred pitchforks to sell to meet my quota, and defusing all this outrage with your very sensible suggestions isn't going to buy me a yaugt..yught..yaghut... a boat any time soon! :tongue.:

:p 

Something I am wondering though is why they think anyone would use the smaller walkers to farm CP when IG is just so much cheaper and gets you 5CP from the Battalion. It almost seems like this codex was written over a year ago and printed and was just sitting around waiting for a late release.

Since Rotate Ion Shields as a stratagem costs 1 point on questoris knights and 3 on the dominuses... Is it available for FW knights and armigers? Does anyone have the wording on that?

Dunno...

I guess you could still use the version from CA though right? That certainly works on Cerastus Knights... though strictly it would also work on the Dominus for 1CP too, so... You know what? I'm going to just keep typing and hope inspiration hits and I find something useful to say (it didn't).

Aothaine, stop being so reasonable. I've at least another hundred pitchforks to sell to meet my quota, and defusing all this outrage with your very sensible suggestions isn't going to buy me a yaugt..yught..yaghut... a boat any time soon! :tongue.:

:tongue.:

Something I am wondering though is why they think anyone would use the smaller walkers to farm CP when IG is just so much cheaper and gets you 5CP from the Battalion. It almost seems like this codex was written over a year ago and printed and was just sitting around waiting for a late release.

What's so, so ironic, is that this is the same guy who wrote the guard codex! I mean you couldn't make this stuff up :P

"Strat: At the start of the shooting phase, pick a house Raven model, that model can reroll ALL dice rolls in that phase. Hit rolls, wound rolls, number of shots etc."

Raven House Atropos just keeps getting better and better! This mitigates the risk of the Grav Cannon and helps ensure you hit with the single shot Las Cutter

Just listened to winterSEOs review, he mentions Rotate Ion Shield but nothing about it being 3CP for Dominus. Which may mean the 3CP thing might not be true. He isn't always perfect in his reviews but...

Nevermind. I'm looking at the page, it is 1/3CP depending... That makes no sense.

:tongue.:

What's so, so ironic, is that this is the same guy who wrote the guard codex! I mean you couldn't make this stuff up :P

It is really one of the most glaring stupid decisions. Worried about CP Spam from 200pt knights? Take the CP away from them. Oh...the knights players are bringing three minimum battalions of guard and just have three super pimped out knights full of relics and warlord trait goodies...oops.

Also, according to TTT's batrep you need just three of the big knights to get the 3 cp. You don't have to have three of the same type in the detachment. 

Stratagem: <unknown name>

Cost: 1cp

Effect: Gain 1 cp, gain one free reroll for any failed save, hit, etc.. and the model gains a warlord trait and character rule. But is not considered the warlord, cannot have two warlord traits on the same knight and you cannot use the same warlord trait twice. So it has to be a different warlord trait. But it allows you to purchase a second relic. Can only be used once per game.

TTT's list

New ranged variant Dom class knight with the spear and flamer weapons, two of anti-character missles and one of the battle cannons and a it looks like melta or lascannons on the chest?

Two crusaders with the reaper cannons and RFBC missiles on top, two heavy stubbers on both it looks like

Two Armigers with the chain glave, melta weapon on the other arm and I think it was melta on the top mounted weapon

List came out to 1997 points.

Edit: The Spider agreed that Hawkshroud is most likely the best house due to it basically ignoring all penalties until the knight is almost dead.

Edit 2: The setup for the dom knight seems to be really short range. Especially if you use him as your warlord and hide him initially. It might be a good idea to put the warlord in a different knight even those that doesn't make very much sense not having him in the biggest knight. Something to consider though

Edit 3: Armigers seem to be very important to help tie up your opponent in melee. But the Helverins are also very very good with the new knight that starts with a P as it allows them to reroll 1s and you can set up a pretty sweet firebase with them.

Edit 4: So... I need to see more games with them before I solidify my opinion and the game type can really hurt them a bit. But so far this codex is looking pretty good. Not a codex that will just come in an wreck face but it is a contender. The important take away is when you're running three knights with 26-28 wounds each with decent invlun saves... it is really difficult to take them out unless your list is just built around anti-tank. The Knights are going to do well against all-comers lists struggle a little against melee focused lists and have a tough time with ranged armies that castle up.

Edit 5: Assaulting the dom knight with the flamer is insane! Hawkshroud 2CP stratagem allowing it to overwatch with a friendly target is amazing! Then if that unit survives the knight can Heroic Intervention 2d6". This beast is expensive but it is crazy scary!

The knight lance detachment everyone is freaking out over is an optional detachment that you can take instead of the regular SHD. You can still take 3 armigers in a separate detachment and get 3 points.

Also, people are misquoting the house raven stratagem. You only re roll die results of 1.

The knight lance detachment everyone is freaking out over is an optional detachment that you can take instead of the regular SHD. You can still take 3 armigers in a separate detachment and get 3 points.

Thank you for clarifying this. I thought that might be the case after reading the BB review, and it makes sense. Looks like we'll see a bunch of Lance + SHD configurations then.

In which case, the warhammer community articles should have explained that during the week.

Tbf they've done a poor job with this release article wise, only 2 articles when everyone else got them daily

Yep, thought so too. They could have done a much better job. And we know they can do better.

Think I'm going to protest this via rules abuse.

We'll take that terrain piece, park Porphy the Wonder Knight in it, spam 72 wounds a turn worth of lasers at Guardsmen, Nurglings, trees, pidgeons, Roberto Girlymans box of Cheeros left out from breakfast, his cat... well, not the cat. Cats are cool.

It'll be cheesier than Malcolm the cheese-making dairy farmer, after winning a cheese maker of the year award, having been made professor of cheese at Oxford, and special ambassador of cheese at the UN. While eating cheese on toast.

I like you Stray. Always have, always will

Also, people are misquoting the house raven stratagem. You only re roll die results of 1.

I believe this, but do we have a full text of the Lance?

And... the Terrain piece is crap.

You have to give up your whole shooting & charge phases in order to get D3 wounds, a 6" extra move, or one single weapon to get full number of shots the next turn. 

That is utterly garbage. You're actually lowering your expected damage output (from shooting!) over turns by doing the shooting option. LOWERING it! And giving up a possible charge. The heal is a pittance, not worth giving up a whole turn of shooting. And charging. And who even came up with the move? Like seriously :censored:, you're standing still in the shrine to use the ability, so you're essentially giving up shooting as well as moving and charging, to later get to move an extra 6" ? None of these have  been thought through properly.

I quite liked the concept of the shrine, but that is just pure garbage.

EDIT: Hell, the shrine wouldn't be worth using even if it gave you all 3 "benefits" together.

Archived