T̶w̶o̶ Three legios and a knight household

Fajita Fan

So I finally read the beast mission. They should be 40mm bases and the mission itself is kinda underwhelming. I wasted last night gluing little raptors to bases too small for a mission we’re not really going to like.

I think it would be easy enough to make stats for larger or smaller beasts - the Scale is the important part. The Scale 2 ones in the scenario could easily go on 32mm bases.

Just assembling some Reaver and Warlord weapon bits. Nothing too glamorous tonight but I spent the day looking over knight paint schemes at work and I like the look of House Mortan plus they’re also melee focused. I’m still scared of screwing up transfers so I’ll need to practice on test models.

Since I’ll do anything to avoid painting I spent the night building a Necron spyder to count as a xenos titan, the nice thing about Necrons is their lack of anything that denotes scale.  This thing looks like it could stand next to a marine or a warhound.

I didn’t like the gun that mounts on top so I glued the alternate face and a couple of unused weapon arms to make a flying scout that would count something like a knight. I’ll think about stats when it’s slow at work. 

839BC56C E378 49F9 8FC1 313B4531D024

19FCC72F A67F 4660 9C89 86998308E9F2

FDB1DD92 3DDD 40A6 8F43 E9207204A42B

The white base is an 80mm Warhound base I printed.  Next up: 3 necron wraiths mounted on 60mm bases. Again there’s no sense of scale to them. 
Edited by Fajita Fan

This morning I primed my next three Warhounds, all their guns, new Reaver guns, and new Warlords guns/powerfist. I also primed those raptors I assembled and might try some contrast paints on them, personally I think those look so overrated.

So after much internal debate, prevaricating, waffling, indecision, and general procrastination I finally decided to do my loyalist legion as Legio Custodes.  In "Thousand Sons" when the primarchs arrive at the dais on Ullanor they walk between the legs of a pair of gold plated Warlords, part of the Emperor's personal legio.  I've been saying for months that someone should come up with a scheme for them so I've decided I have enough gold paint laying around to start my own jewelry store so I may as well do it.

This is nice because the paint scheme is really rather simply given my general lack of skill at painting. Gold armor plates around the body, red on the shoulders, and really toned down metal skeletons to make the gold really pop.  Something like this:

99020187293_TelemonDreadBundle01.jpg

It'll be nice doing a fairly simple scheme and since the leg plates will all be one color I won't actually have to spend the next fiscal year doing the trim of all of my leg plates in separate colors. There's also basically no established theme for the Emperor's legio so I'm kinda free to take liberties where I want. 

A little progress last night.

0B9D7434 9E44 4F46 8372 90CC486EB80E

Red blocked out on the Reaver shoulders, still figuring out how to carry the theme on Warhounds given their lack of large shoulders.

E20C2246 AFE5 4B93 B825 C270D336DBBE

House Mortan colors being blocked out, the bronze will get a coat of that turquoise oxide stuff for some aging. IIRC from the knight codex Mortan wasn’t discovered until M35 so this will need to be a precursor house in the same colors - I also don’t have tiny boars head transfers so that works for me.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Opinion time:

I'm reading "Ordo Sinister" and I'm contemplating doing a Warlord in the darkgreen/black of a Psy-titan with some customized gun that represents their fancy gun and just count it as a Volcano cannon until/if Ordo Sinister rules every come out.  Should I paint my loyal Warlord in the crimson/gold like the rest of my titans and buy another Warlord if rules ever come or just go rule-of-cool and build it now? 

I would need a lion's head on one shoulder, I could have one 3d printed on a resin printer at a library an hour away since we don't have one.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3152191

Edited by Fajita Fan

I’d probably want to take my time doing a psy-titan conversion and I kinda need to get these models done. I’ll just get another Warlord to play with slowly once I get a Legio painted on the table as a reward. It looks like Forgeworld has been working on psy-titan parts for the 28mm Warlord so maybe they’re scaling them down for AT scale?

Via HH book 7:

Through the use ofthe Ciricrux Anima, a Warlord-Sinister is able to project psychic phenomena on a truly gargantuan scale, although without any of the nuance or fine manipulation available to an individual trained psyker. These phenomena include waves of preternatural fear, psychokinetic effects, biomantic leaching of life in the immediate area and even the temporal distortion-based reversion of damage to the Titan itself But the most devastating use of the psychic potential ofthe Ciricrux Anima is the focusing of its power through a unique weapon system, the Sinistramanus Tenebrae.

This is a hybrid of strange technologies, more akin to a mutilated warp engine in design than a conventional weapon, but it serves to focus the psychic antipathy of the bound psykers into a fracture in reality-a fracture, much like the forced warp-breach inherent in vortex weaponry which is then channelled and released as aprojectile ofnightmarishly destructive force. Where the projectile -which manifests as a sphere or bolt of 'darkness' as it eats the light of whatever medium it passes through before striking dense matter- detonates, it causes complete annihilation in the immediate impact area, as what was there is disassembled and hurled bodily into the Empyrean molecule by molecule until the mercifully brief rupture self-seals. Those in the wider area of the impact are simply struck dead, their bodies left unmarked as if their souls had been sheared from their bodies.

While vortex warhead ordnance is both more powerful in its blast and limited in range only by its function, the Sinistramanus Tenebrae psi-cannon has the advantage that it may be fired repeatedly, at least while the strength of those on board lasts to power it.

I love the idea of the Ordo sinister Warlord, but I agree it’s better to get something painted and on the table sooner rather than later. My motivation to get more stuff done is definitely linked to seeing progress overall, but you might feel differently! Edited by General Zodd

“Ordo Sinister” doesn’t even count as a short story, that’s a new class of fiction called a micro story. I’ve written longer forum posts than that but you do get a sense for just how grimdark the psi-titans are (I’ve been spelling it with a Y and it’s actually an I).

Today’s goal: get some gold laid down.

The psycannon should be:

Range 60" sx dice1 vortex

About the powers you could put one to regenerate wounds and another to cause an autosuplerfician on a 5" blast. Manifested by passing a command test

Edited by noigrim

How about repairing a hull point on a 5+ repair dice? Also anyone interested in psi-titans should read “Ordo Sinister” - it’s a quick bathroom read. There’s a non-spoiler about how they work I could give that is really neat in a Warhammer kind of way.

Non-story spoiler: the psi-titan’s weapon is - no surprise - fueled by sacrificial psykers much the way the Golden Throne is today. When the psychic energy of the three hooked up psykers is expended their coffins are disengaged and burned while new psykers are loaded from a magazine and hooked up to drain them next. The princeps is a psychic blank so he’s unaffected by this grimdark sacrifice. 

I went to a couple of craft stores looking for appropriate sized crystals to convert a volcano cannon, I also have some Necron bits that might look appropriate but I’m kinda thinking this should actually have an Eldar feel with imperial bits and cables surrounding it. 

Got some gold and red laid down on the four Reavers and red on the Warhounds. I had intended to only do the shoulders in red like Custodes infantry but since Warhounds lack shoulders I went ahead and did the carapace. I’ll admit it seems weird to have red Warhound carapaces while the Reavers’ are done in solid gold but if I carried that theme then half the Warlord’s torso will end up red. 

0D63473D D493 4942 9F05 42B1B1DB020B

Also dropped some turquoise contrast on a bit I primed aluminum and I think this will be my Alpha legion scheme.  Not gonna lie, seeing that makes me wish I’d tried the contrast red right on the titan bits rather than Mephiston. 

E91E3C63 42BE 4AD6 80EC B9F44AD7EBA9