T̶w̶o̶ Three legios and a knight household

Fajita Fan

Just realized I never posted the new macro Gatling proxy I printed. I got tired of the barrels messing up trying to print a realistic looking one so I found a design for a fancy sci-fi rocket launcher on TinkerCAD and created my muzzle tip for it, the magazine is adapted from a design meant for a terminator assault (IIRC) and the arm is a modified version of a custom arm from Thingiverse.

Overall I think it looks fine, I don’t care for the official model which looks too much like a Reaver Gatling gun. 

3813E774 8C03 4481 A874 D1D0A889399E

0355CF9D BBAD 4D6B A530 CBCB0FD8E7FD

FD5640DC 16A5 48B1 B0A7 69978595CD4D

The Acastus is a great kit, but cuddly and potentially fragile. It has some seriously thin bits of plastic on things like the carapace rails and autocannons. It looks very difficult to pose as well, with lots of cables and pistons connecting at the waist and ankles. I might have a go at making my next one walk but it won’t be anything too exciting.

They also have a mistake in the instructions apparently, telling you to put armour plates on the leg the wrong way round. Dry fit those carefully before sticking. Luckily I’d heard about this before building mine.

How are you going to paint yours fajita? I think I’ll go Tanaris.

Thank you, I hope to do the Custodes proud. Zero progress tonight so these pics were from last night, I’m going to call the gold sufficiently shaded because if I keep going I’ll probably ruin it. Next up is adding more thinned red fro the marble to tone down the black the some gloss. Still gotta shade the exoskeletons and highlight the gold. 

I’m so bloody slow and I still have another Legio to do...

F12F826B FC46 4C02 9762 09D22C10302C

468DAB04 F5ED 4189 A6AF E6869340DBFE

1E613DA9 1A17 4D82 8CAC C8A41898592C

CE8F6465 B7E7 4550 9F7C EB7BA618784E

EFFDBB3A D315 4109 959E A42608065B7A

83256650 5E99 494B 838E FE1373717BE1

F2C59D0A FFC8 4928 9D11 152A835947FC

Apparently the highway is clogged heading home so I stayed at work for an hour to finish some stuff...including mocking up an improved vulcan megabolter file to 3d print. I've been doing them in multiple pieces and now I actually sat down to measure how big the gun should be for the Reaver and Warlord.  The ones I made before are WAY too big for a Reaver (it looked like a cargo container bolted on top) and I'm printing them back end down first to hopefully print it in one piece.  That extra little bit is to glue on the back end so it's not just a bare ugly part where it bonds to the raft.  

I made the Warlord version to have a piece that will magnetize to the carapace weapon holder and it has a bigger magazine since there's more clearance.

macro gatlings

I'll head home soon to hopefully go shade my exoskeletons.

To be honest my gold isn’t photographing well so I guess I’ll hold off pics till they’re done or I get a better photo setup.

One thing I got today from amazon was a set of 8x3 magnets to glue to the bottom of my bases. I wonder if I can find a metal tool box or glue some magnetic sheet to my plastic boxes to see if the magnets on the bases keep the titans in place for storage and transport. The added bonus would be all the guns staying stuck in there too.

Protip: basecoat, shade, and highlight your exoskeletons before painting your armor and trim.  Getting down in there is now next to impossible without getting nuln oil on my armor.  :rolleyes:

2019 07 25

2019 07 25 (2)

2019 07 25 (1)

I glued the carapaces on a 3 of the Reavers and highlighted a bunch of gold last night. Auric Gold from GW doesn't have a bright consistency and seems very sparkly, almost like mine isn't mixed well despite repeated rounds of adding drops of medium and stirring. I had wondered if a very pale nonmetallic yellow would make a better highlight than this.  Marbling is just about done, I need to add a couple of dark veins here and there.

Those guns came out awful, I’m not sure what’s going on with our printer. I’m going to try some different settings tonight and try again.

Have you spray varnished yours? Do you think I should use gloss or matte? I’m wondering if it’s better to spray the whole titan gloss and use brush on matte varnish to knock out the shine of the exoskeleton to leave the plates glossy.

I need to test how green comes out on gold. Blue contrast on gold comes out metallic green, the lightest blue/green contrast (akelian?) comes out metallic turquoise which would be cool for Alpha Legion but I like the look I had with the terradon turquoise over aluminum for them.

I think you’re on to something.

I came across a picture of a knight built using some custodian-looking parts available on shapeways (google Shane Blomberg's custodian knight titan), the head might be interesting to replicate for a warlord.

Not sure the size might work for AT but here is the link to said head: https://www.shapeways.com/product/C6D65X9CE/custodian-guard-eagle-head?optionId=64598887