T̶w̶o̶ Three legios and a knight household

Fajita Fan

FW does (or did) a load of transfers for the Horus Heresy Legions. I've got some for the Imperial Fists that have lightning bolts on.

Your titans are looking interesting. It's tricky transferring the Custodes scheme onto Titans. Their gold areas are super detailed, with eagles and stuff all over them, rather than the flat panels you get on titans. Titan panels kind of want a colour with a contrasting edge to look their best, I think.

I take your point on the issue with doing all the panels red. They'd just look like a red Legio. I wonder if you could use another colour - maybe white - instead of the red on some panels. Custodes vehicles have large red (or other colour) areas - but not as much as the Titans have.

Color choice is something I always struggle with.

One of my Reaver carapaces is a blank one, I’m thinking I should replace that with another detailed one to avoid the big blank area. I started practicing filigree with a Sigma pen the other day, that might help break up the panels.

Edit: went ahead and sprayed the other detailed carapace armor before leaving for work and I found the knee caps & crotch plates I packed away over the winter. Still gotta spray those too.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Got some gold layered down on the Warhounds and a Second Thin CoatTM on the Reavers, the scheme is starting to take shape. I have no idea how to do my weapons, I sprayed them with a much brighter spray than leadbelcher so should I darken them to be closer to undercarriage? I don’t want gold barrels or gun bodies.

3D6F1398 D580 45EB B55F 96636FB5F73B

8E99B00D 473C 4E7B 96AD 9DB3143DFC97

All four Reavers will have the detailed carapace armor as befitting the Emperor’s personal Legio, the blank one will be a test for coloring the armor. I’ve seen gold shaded with purples, greens, and blacks which looks cool and I might practice filigree designs until I realize I lack sufficient talent. 

The weapons would look good in silver and the optics/cables in blue to balance the red-gold Edited by noigrim

I mean the weapons' "bodies", like on this imperial knight Adeptus Custodes I found on flickr via google

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142098313@N03/43651252960

Same approach as for the different Adeptus Custodes units where the bulk of the spears, swords and bolters are in black. Of course, those weapons are relatively smaller when compared to the bodies than the titan's weaponry compared to the titan's bodies.

I like it!  I don't love reddish gold though, I'm experimenting on the plain Reaver carapace I undercoated gold with super thinned down nuln oil for a more Forgeworld looking gold.

Reaver crotch and kneeplates are undercoated and it looks like I totally forgot a set of Warhound legs to undercoat gold.  Once I get second coat on all of these I can settle on how to shade the gold, using black I could shade the gold and leadbelcher undercarriage at the same time. 

Edited by Fajita Fan

Scarlet is layered down, also started blocking out the Warlord plates before layering gold on those. 

2019 07 02

2019 07 02 (1)

2019 07 02 (2)

2019 07 02 (3)

Also started messing with using gold, purple, green and sepia shades on the gold test plate, I wish I could find the page I saw a long time ago for inspiration where I saw this style of doing gold.  The purple is very strong so I need to make sure I put it on thin and gently. 

2019 07 02 (4)

2019 07 02 (5)

2019 07 02 (6)

I started using this volcano cannon I converted for a Reaver to be my test weapon.  Since my traitor legio will be falling to Khorne I thought it'd be neat to show them leaking blood and not oil from their hydraulics. Blood for the Blood God works if you use it really sparingly, this is just for practice. 

2019 07 02 (7)

Thank you, I’m suuuuuper slow and painting is really hard for me. 

So I messed with marbling my red starting on a kneecap, then my Warlord’s head, then finally a Warhound carapace. I think it’s starting to get there but I have no idea what I’m doing. 

AD871271 ABED 417F B867 9A0D7BA8927A

E7F4F6A8 AAE5 4F18 AFAE EBE985C031E0

0B189616 F203 4884 BB42 67CA39260A65

D92A3590 59F7 4DCD AFED FA92D05D4FC9

0BCD007F DEDD 44AC 9C14 18A30BDB8498

For my gold I started with a partial black wash to give it the Forgeworld Custodes look instead of the GW studio reddish gold. I still need to go back with purple, green, and sepia shades before highlighting...and then wash/highlight the exoskeletons...and then paint all the weapons...and then start my other legio...and then finish my knight household...

That’s just nuln oil thinned with water and kinda smeared on then very thin lines of oil over the top. It looked way too dark so I took some evil suns scarlet and turned it into soup with water (not medium) and kinda stippled that on with the same very tiny brush into the areas between the shade. That kinda covers some of the thinner veins of black and breaks up the bigger splotches.

It occurs to me that at this scale you’d never see marbling veins like this, should I keep this or save it for my 40k Custodes?

Edited by Fajita Fan

Weathering gold Forgeworld style is hard, I don’t want to overdo it. I’m also now having to go back and paint the backs of my leg plates which is tedious after already painting the fronts.

I like the marbeling. You could add different shades of veins like with Agrax, Reikland or even the new contrast Apothecary White. But I would otherwise keep it.

Have you tried shading gold with Reikland Gloss?

honustly I've always viewed marbeling on Titans and Knights as just a paintjob, not them actually being made of matrials that had such looks, so they can be as big or small as the Legio or House in question wanted, and since these colors and patterns are for identifaction, making it clearly visible from the great distances involved in Titan combat makes sense.

I like to think of a Legio being so filthy rich that they have huge panels of marble mined specifically to be applied to their Titans in a single piece per armor panel.

After every battle they're replaced so they always stride onto the field looking haughty and glorious.