T̶w̶o̶ Three legios and a knight household

Fajita Fan

I'm not sure which carapace piece you're talking about but if it's not painted yet you could remove it. A little care with a hobby knife and file and it'll be gone. I did that with the warlord head because I wanted the cross on one side, but not both.

I already started painting it. :( After getting my new 40k Custodes models I’ve got some new Aquila standards I might have been able to glue on there, now I have to find a different spot to mount something to make it look more Emperorish.

Shading the gold with purple and Athonian camoshade is basically done.  The purple shade is VERY strongly pigmented and is easy to overdo if it pools, I had to touch up some gold to cover up some splotches where it ran without me noticing.  The greenish brownish camoshade is really subtle on gold, I almost wonder if some of the new contrast paints would be a better way to do this.  Given the lighting here and shooting with an iPhone it doesn't really show up much on here.

2019 07 07 (3)

Now these bits have some black wash applied too, it gets pretty grungy there but again the green is really faded.  I almost wonder if I should mix some of the greener shade (Biel Tan?) in there.

2019 07 07 (2)

2019 07 07 (1)

2019 07 07

I still need to highlight the gold especially on the flatter top areas like the Warhound's head.  I have no idea what I'm doing and I really should've just stuck to a simple black wash/highlight to get a simplified Forgeworld look.  Instead I tried to tint the gold with colors and now I think I'm making a mess.  

I would ask FW about the step-by-step for this particular one.

I found another custodes knight project while surfing http://bluewarpstudios.blogspot.com/2019/07/project-custodes-castellan-knight-sneak.html as well as a video where Duncan explains his steps for Adeptus Custodes Vehicle Armour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-dv5eEk80o (but the end result is different from what you are aiming for I think).

Thanks, I got nothing done this morning before leaving for work so maybe I need a break. This is more intense painting than I’ve done for years.

I think breaks are good. I try to alternate between building/painting/basing. I got my battelgroup mostly built so painting is next. I'm going to be attempting a marble technique so I'm sure I'll be just as fried as you feel after I get a few sessions in.

I really like it Fajita Fan - you could always drybrush with the original gold and then a very light silver if you wanted to push the highlights, and if you wanted to hit it with that Fleshshade (or brown tone) in between then that gives you options! I guess it really depends on the tone you want in the end?

Do you all think I should gloss the red armor?

A little something I'm going to print to make a standard for my Warlord:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3603903

Maybe make some aquila flags for the Reavers and a couple of streaming banners for the Warhounds.  I also did not like how my House Mortan knights are coming out so I stopped by GW to get some of contrast paints they have left to see how they go on my bright aluminum colored primer.  I should just kinda knock those out and layering yellows on small models is getting annoying.  

I'm all for Candy Red... It's whether you like that, and how that would interplay with the tone of your gold though?

Got very little done tonight. I used a Micron .005 marker to experiment doing checker marks and aquilas, it didn’t come out bad for a first try but I’m just not happy with House Mortan colors now that I’m seeing it in person. I did bronze trim with verdigris to give it some green but this may end up being a separate banner for my traitors if I go with a different scheme. 

6B5E865C 82BA 41C3 A1A0 7071AB1F6A75

773951B2 7C3A 48F5 9FF4 369D9F5F2281

8F815960 8BBD 4B06 8375 FE4C8990FDBD

The other thing I did was slap some contrast paints (what little my GW had today) on a spare volcano cannon I cut down for a Reaver last year. I kinda like it on this aluminum colored primer I’ve been using, I could probably knock out a household fast with some of those colors.  

0F7DCCE1 4DEA 4829 8AE6 75E37F58FF03

DA6717A6 DDD8 4435 86EA 0D117E93308B

I'm all for Candy Red... It's whether you like that, and how that would interplay with the tone of your gold though?

Aaaaand now I feel dumb. So this gold Reaver carapace I’ve been using to test shades on? I decided to hit it with red contrast paint because I’ve heard clear red over gold is how FW does the HH 1k Sons and now I’m super upset at not having this on my titans because I’ve already blocked in their red panels. 

AC550FD0 7D3A 4E55 B071 3FB89E4C4B3F

D2DB6322 A2B1 4ADD 8344 C710E77942D1

I really like it and contrast paints go on plenty smooth if you use a wide flat brush and don’t overload it. The splotchiness our see is from not waiting for one coat to dry before adding the second coat. Contrast paints start to form a skin (like soup does) as it dries so I broke the skin as I got impatient. Red over gold looks awesome, I really wish I had this look now but too late now :(

New quake rocket launcher came out pretty nice, I replaced the magazine with a box and added a better detailed wolf head. Need to print the new arm tomorrow. 

AC2BBE8C 4D56 4BF8 992D 040D9F508E89

And I added a second coat of contrasts then lightly shaded these panels. Not bad once you figure out how to keep contrasts relatively flat. 

2FB73190 7793 441B B24B A20800911782

4F4834C2 3113 4387 B89B 904CB4716F9C

I think if you’re keeping the marbling (I think you should) then glossing it will work out nicely.

Edit - wait, scratch that. Glossing it should be nice regardless. I just liked the marbling that’s all.

Edited by Kilofix

I was even less happy with my knights’ paint scheme after a friend said they look like University of Maryland players:

ugor3662m8911.jpg

Since anything associated with state of bloody Maryland can go straight to hell I’ve officially moved off House Mortan colors. Tonight I tried to mess with some contrast paints to make a colorful metallic scheme. They go on really quick but you MUST let a layer dry before touching it again and soak up any puddles IMMEDIATELY or you’ll break up the “skin” they form while drying. 

A0EFD1A6 1CC9 4DCD AB71 B5C5A63A61DC

EC782C86 6F7A 4D89 95A4 BB8848FB28C5

6D77B18F 536C 4765 B4AD B95A13D07E9B

i have to clean up the silver, block in the exhaust and bearings with bronze, then wash the whole thing but I find that far less offensive as a Virginian. I also want some simple heraldry designs for the shoulder shields that I can do with my Micron markers. 

3F3E6F52 3A66 46C0 BB45 CA13B9BE949A

Edited by Fajita Fan

I had to google that word. You mean on the football player? They play outdoors in winter and those gloves are only meant to help give their hands a tacky grip - not prevent frostbite. Their uniforms don’t have pockets so those are basically add on pockets to keep their hands warm between plays.