AT Chat, Lists, and Conversions For All Stompy Robot Lovers

Fajita Fan

I have not. I'm still in the initial stages of getting into this system. I've read the main rule book but none of the supplements. Can you give me the cliff notes version?

A Knight army formed from at least one Lance of Knight. A lance consist of 3 Knight banner, each must be armed with the same weapon.

Knights in a lance must stay close to each other, which severely limited their option and advantage of being small.

Knight get the same baisc battlefield assets like the Titans, and they have some( very limited) stratagems to use.

You also pick a house for your knight, which in turn give you 3 "Knightly qualities" to choose from (they're warlord trait for your leader), many of these trait are duplicate between the houses, you can also pick from the universal "Knightly qualities".

And that's it, being in a house give you nothing special like bonus, or special equipment, no special lance formation like the Titan Maniple, a very bare-bone and lack lusting "Knight expansion". They're playable, just not very fun.

The expansion are great for titans players, new legio, new maniple, new stratagem. Good stuff all around.

Edited by Chopsticks

Intensely noob question: what size magnets do I need for the Warlord weapons, 5x1mm? My stuff showed up and I'm building my first guy but I forgot the weapons don't necessarily just clip in easily.

Also do the Reaver/Warhound weapons have the preset magnet hole as well?

Dragonlover

Intensely noob question: what size magnets do I need for the Warlord weapons, 5x1mm? My stuff showed up and I'm building my first guy but I forgot the weapons don't necessarily just clip in easily.

Also do the Reaver/Warhound weapons have the preset magnet hole as well?

Dragonlover

As it happens this gets asked a lot.  5x1 mm magnets will keep warlord weapons in place.  

The other kits don't have holes for magnets, so you get to erm...  cut some plastic.  I documented magnetizing warhounds here.  There might be easier way (just cut off the tip of the arm and glue magnet on that, sinking another into the weapon arm).

Also, be very very careful when assembling your reaver legs.  They have at least three easy to miss spots that can make your model look silly. 

Cheers bud! And thanks for the heads up on the Reaver legs, I've not even started thinking about them yet, the Warlord was tricky enough!

So it's 5x1 for Warlord weapons, 3x1.5 for Warhounds, do I need another size for Reaver weapons or will one of those do?

Dragonlover

5x1 will work on Reavers if you just cut the tip off the arm ball joint so it’s flat. Want some pics in a couple of hours when I get home?

I had some tiny ones laying around that I used for Warhound weapon sides as their cup for the ball joint is really small.

Edited by Fajita Fan

So... I'm confused... People run lists of 100% knights and don't run any Titans?

Yes, there are rules for that in the Molech book. It’s effectuvel a separate army list in which you have “lances”, made up of three banners of knights each, rather than maniples of titans. You can’t have maniples and lances together.

Fajita, I would build lances around the order I wanted them to do. So castigators and wardens to do coordinated fire. Lancers and errants to full stride/charge, Acastus together on first fire or split fire. Paladins don’t need orders so maybe just run those independently to gain activations, like your freeblade banner.

I was going to keep my big melee lance all Cerastus so they all move the same speed. Yes, Castigators are in with the Gatling and thermal cannon Questoris to help burn shields and provide a 5+ command. And it looks like Acastus are command 5+ as well so I can run a pair of lances of 3 Acastus each to stay back.

So it's 5x1 for Warlord weapons, 3x1.5 for Warhounds, do I need another size for Reaver weapons or will one of those do?

Dragonlover

I did 5x1mm for all my Titans, but Mendi (as stated) amongst others went with a range - as for those it depends where you want them to be magnetised. The way I’ve done it means I could theoretically put any weapon on any Titan, even if that’s not game legal! Plenty of options in any case.

5x1 will work on Reavers if you just cut the tip off the arm ball joint so it’s flat. Want some pics in a couple of hours when I get home?

I had some tiny ones laying around that I used for Warhound weapon sides as their cup for the ball joint is really small.

If it's not too much trouble that'd be awesome thanks! Magnets aside I've almost finished the first guy now, gonna order the extra weapon sprues when I get paid too.

Dragonlover

I used 5x1 for all of my Titans. I've got pics of the Warhound and Warlord in my PLOG. I've got a short video of my Reaver showing what was done as well. There's a link in my signature.

I've used a range of magnets on previous projects ranging from 1x1 all the way to 5x1. 5x1 has plenty of hold.

If it's not too much trouble that'd be awesome thanks! Magnets aside I've almost finished the first guy now, gonna order the extra weapon sprues when I get paid too.

Dragonlover

I did this the fastest way I could so I could get outside to spray before the weather turned bad.

006CE477 6559 447B B749 7A8A4EC0FC82

99AA5722 4517 4448 B073 EEE0B1146DF4

These are tiny N52 grade magnets for the Warhound weapons. 

0AFE9473 AB3D 4DE6 8C59 F39014BCE81F

CD881CD9 6B6D 4BDD 80D8 B2AF9FBF8E24

B9C9DBAA B634 4282 BB75 1F4717EB621C

1E853314 33A5 4BA4 9187 45FB26C35240

These are cheap ($9 for 100 on Amazon) for the Reaver guns and the Reaver/Warhound shoulders. I just took my clippers and trimmed the ball joint flat to dock it. 

0B86667A E6D6 4EFA 9E34 AE9677F54351

7DB6E0F3 30F0 4B00 9EDB E0DD245BDF57

End results. I didn’t sink the magnets into the Reaver guns so there’s a 1mm gap but you can trim your elbow a little higher to eliminate it. You can’t see it and I’m a lousy painter anyway so it’s not noticeable. 

Anyone considering an Ember Wolves list? We don’t have rules for ursas claws yet so I was going to use flamers as a proxy for both rules and modeling until rules come out. I have plenty of things to use as harpoon bits and fine jewelry chain but does anyone see viability of an all Warhound list where every model has a flamer? I’d still run a smattering of megabolters, turbolasers, and plasmas.

#finishaprojectbeforestartingathirdlegio

Thanks for the magnet help guys, ordered a bunch of 5x1's and 3x1.5's this evening, as well as the additional weapon frames. I went for ones from this country, I really don't want to lose momentum plus I'm hoping to demo next week.

Almost finished Warlord 2, they're a lot easier to build when you aren't getting fancy with leg poses!

Dragonlover

I've played two demos and both time the Titans were legs and torso only because the guy who owns them is still painting. For us the fact that the Titans weren't complete want an issue because we just wanted to play.

Don't rush your build just to get them ready for a game. If you can field the silhouette and footprint do that instead of potentially messing something up.

Here's a tutorial I put together for working with magnets. I hope it can help out give ideas for how to do it better: http://imgur.com/a/0xFsd

TBF I'm probably never going to try and mess about with the leg posing again. I should have realised after my Kytan ended up at "full stride plus a bit more" that the anatomy of the mechanical leg isn't my strong suit and left well alone.

Dragonlover

Hi there!
So, I made the "mistake" of ordering the battlegroup for my birthday in order to get into AT :unsure.::biggrin.:  "Ooops, my mouse just happened to be hovering over the "purchase" button when I clicked, oh no......"

Anyway, there's not a massive AT scene here (in fact, none that I know of) so I've been thinking about painting my Titans as different Legios, and while looking through Lexicanum and Wikia for inspiration about which ones to choose, I found mention of the "Divisio Investigatus" which I thought looked pretty interesting. I haven't found all that much more information about them so I was wondering if you had any more pointers than me?
https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Collegia_Titanica#Divisio_Investigatus
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Collegia_Titanica#Divisio_Investigatus

The Investigatus is the research division; its role is to construct the Titans of all the orders, and to engineer and test improvements in technology. All of the Investigatus orders are based on Mars, the capital Forge World. At times a research order takes part in battles in order to field test new designs.

Supposedly on page 7 of AT88

Thanks in advance :)

Under Mars, there are 4 Divisios of the Collegia Titanicus:

Divisio Mandati - The ruling body of the Collegia. There have Emperor Titans.

Divisio Militaris - The main fighting force. The Titan Legions fall under this.

Divisio Telephatica - They run the Psi Titans

Divisio Investigatus - They research, test and upgrade Titans.

With regards to Investigatus - they aren’t a Titan Legio per say (those fall under Militaris). They just fall under the Forge World’s hierarchy. Something like Fabricator General > Collegia Titanicus > Divisio Investigatus.

So, while there aren’t existing / canon paint schemes, I would assume that they would have their own scheme that’s independent of the Legios or a scheme that mimics their respective Forge World.