AT Chat, Lists, and Conversions For All Stompy Robot Lovers

Fajita Fan

Now I want a Psi Titan...

I guess I'll be picking up this month's WD next time I'm at my FLGS.

This is what I'm doing next after Legio Custodes gets painted.  I got a plasma/PF Warlord still in shrinkwrap calling to me and a spare volcano cannon to cut up as its super weapon arm.  I have a coworker who can really draw so I'm going to have her ink a lion's head on each shoulder after spraying them silver and block Dark Angels green around it.

Make sure you read the tiny story Ordo Sinister...

As a light-hearted idea for funsies on Acastus hunting, aka how to burn up real damn fast:

- take a custom Legio with Multiple Warhead Launchers (upgrades Apocs to fire thrice at much with Str 3)

- take a Warlord with double Sunfuries and Apocs (plasmas to make sure the next step works)

- use the Experimental Weapons stratagem to make those Apocs Maximal Fire

- optionally, also use the other stratagem to change that MF bonus to +4

- deploy over 30" away for that sweet 2+ hit chance

- let rip with 30 Str 5(7) missiles, cause 25 hits and get 5 heat from MF

- a singular Acastus actually has real bad saves, taking 17(21) hits in and suffering 6(14) points of damage out of the 7 required for a kill

- combine with a trait/stratagem from Defensor/Fureans, smash that First Fire / Emergency Repairs button and hope there is a plasma station nearby stopping you from blowing yourself up

- ???

- profit?

That Warhead thingy might also actually be a good place to try out the Warmaster's Beneficence for +1 Str on the first volley, not necessarily in this context but damn if those 25 hits aren't going to shred some Voids nicely if you want to go for a long range alpha strike with Volcanoes and such. Suck that, Fortis maniple :D

Another cool musing on making melee great again.

So, the current plan for getting those Warlords into melee (next level tactical genius, yo) is:

- Splinter Legio (Astorum) to get extra speed, turn traitor.

- Motive Mastery to ensure most of your line, not just Seniores, will consistently push forwards and Charge everything.

- Warchest to buy Vulpa's +2 Str disruption fields.

- War Doctrine to maybe buy Mortis' March of the Dead for more speed or Fortidus' Red Skies for proper nuclear blasts when you die. Really this can be almost anything to finetune your list to suit the battle or fluff you like.

- As other stratagems, now that we are traitors War Lust and the Charge bonus ones are pretty nasty.

So even before we consider Maniple bonuses, our first turn movements can be easily over half the field. Say we deploy 6" from our table edge.

- Warlord moves 4" (MoD) + pushing for 6" (plus 2" from Astorum and another 2" from War Lust) + pushing Full Stride for another 10". This is a Warlord. It is now 30" from your table edge, very much ready to make 8" Charges next turn.

- Reaver takes the same thing with 6"+13"+13" and is now 10" from the ENEMY table edge.

- Warhound can burn itself for 8"+16"+16" and be 2" away from the ENEMY table edge. If the deployment allows 8", you can score Vital Cargo on your first turn.

This paintrain WILL crash against the opposition on turn 2 and some Charges will go off. Supplemented with some Cerastus to herd enemy fallbacks so you can still Charge or hit again in Combat phase there is some nice potential to bring RIP AND TEAR back to the fore. Also, as the obligatory anti-Acastus mention, we are now close enough they might scatter blasts on their own lines if they want to chuck those 20+ Blasts around. Profit!

2000pts of Legio Audax (aka Ember Wolves) using flamers to count as ursas claws

7 Warhounds (all armed with a flamer)

2 megbolters, 2 plasmas, 3 turbolasers

3x Cerastus lancers

4x Questoris

dual melee, 2 battlecannons, 1 thermal cannon

Just saw all of the Titans of Legend Command Terminals in detail. One of the Traitor titans gets a bonus when firing on an Titan with the scale of 10 OR MORE!!! I think, the Emperor Titan is not that far away anymore.

well there were rumors of a Titan larger then a Warlord(who in turn is Scale 10, so that rule currently only applies to them, if it had said something like Scale 15 or whatever I'd be more inclined to take this as a sign that we'd be getting a new bigger Titan soon), but smaller then an Imperator, was in the works(same rumor also said that there were Titans that fit between all the existing core 3, as well as one above and below that range).

the whole Scale system in general is obviously an attempt at future-proofing, there have always been rules that say they effect "Scale X or more/less", even if the number specified is the current extreme in that direction and thus renders that more/less pointless at the current time.

for all we know there might be no real plans for Titans over Scale 10, but the rules are ready if there ever are; be they the rumored and unnamed in-between class, proper Imperators, Daemonicly possessed Warlords granted a few extra points of Scale by the Warp, Ork Gargant/Mega Stompa or whatever they're calling them these days, or maybe even some sort of massive fortification/terrain piece that needs stats to function.

EDIT: speaking of Scale, the currant Range currently has:

10: Warlord

9: unused(Warbringer Nemesis?)

8: Reaver

7: unused(any lore out there that could imply what will go here some day?)

6: Warhound

5: Acastus Knights(so maybe the "smaller than a Warhound" Titan was false and referring to these? though of course having multiple units on the same Scale size would help make the Scale mechanic actually mean something)

4: Cerastus Knights

3: Questorus Knights

Edited by RipOffProductions

The light scout class ‘Rapier’ has been mentioned a few times, in the novel and by Andy H. So I think that still sits below the Warhound but above the Acastus, sorry I mean Chunky Boi.

The light scout class ‘Rapier’ has been mentioned a few times, in the novel and by Andy H. So I think that still sits below the Warhound but above the Acastus, sorry I mean Chunky Boi.

true, I look forward to seeing how these theorized/rumored in-between Titans will be handled, seeing as the firing arc templates already exist and are fitted to the three specific based used by the 3 current Titans.

I could see the 2 "in-between" classes(of which I have no doubt the Warbringer Nemesis will be one) on either side of the Reaver reusing the Reaver's base and arc template.

but the Rapier? reusing the Warhound's base could work, but depending on how small it actually is that might be a bit silly looking.

I personally like the idea that it will be a 360 carapace weapon platform and nothing else(baring maybe automatic defense gun(s) like the Acastus or Warlord have), which would also help make them different from the Warhounds on a tactical level.

I wouldn’t read much into the scale thing. There are lots of examples of future proofing in AT. I’m pretty sure there are rules that talk about smaller scales as well as bigger ones. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, only that they don't want to have to go back and rewrite rules if they create bigger stuff.

Someone over on dakka played a game last night to test the new Acastus knights. Maniple of a reaver and two warhounds vs 7 Acastus. The knights killed the reaver on turn 2. On turn 3 the warhounds killed one knight, nearly killed a second, and then both died. The reaver’s reactor melted down and might have damaged the hounds a bit – he didn’t say.

That more or less matches with what I’d expect, unfortunately.

Seven Acastus? Bloody hell that would suck for the Titans well outnumbered there. 

Well not really. The titan force cost ~750 points and the knights were a fair bit under that.

It's obviously not a perfect test but the idea was to see what happened if you spammed Acastus knights. You can take 18 of them at 1750, after all, so this guy wanted to see what would happen if you did.

I wouldn’t read much into the scale thing. There are lots of examples of future proofing in AT. I’m pretty sure there are rules that talk about smaller scales as well as bigger ones. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, only that they don't want to have to go back and rewrite rules if they create bigger stuff.

Someone over on dakka played a game last night to test the new Acastus knights. Maniple of a reaver and two warhounds vs 7 Acastus. The knights killed the reaver on turn 2. On turn 3 the warhounds killed one knight, nearly killed a second, and then both died. The reaver’s reactor melted down and might have damaged the hounds a bit – he didn’t say.

That more or less matches with what I’d expect, unfortunately.

I’ll have to go look at how he set them up but if they’re all banners of 1 for 100 points that’s an easy way to spam activations.

I genuinely thought the knights were going to be 80-100 and the guns would be about 50.

He didn't show lists but there were certainly banners of >1 knight.

Banners are seriously dangerous. They result in a bucket load of high-strength hits to the same location - which is a great way to kill a titan.

For example if a banner of 2 Acastus fires at a warhound in the open they should get 10 hits from their missiles (8 hits from 12 shots, plus 2 extras for rapid). On average that is likely to bring the hound’s shields down unless it pushes its reactor – which is always dangerous for a hound.

Then when they fire their lasers they average 11.73 S8 hits – assuming that a 1” scatter equals 2 hits and a 2 or 3” scatter equals 1 hit. These ~12 hits all land on the same place. If they hit an active shield or a weapon then the hound lives. Otherwise they do at least a direct hit on anything but a 1 to the body or leg, or on a 3+ to the head, so that should result in enough damage to kill the titan.

Nah, my gut tell me they'll faq it after making a hefty profit from that kit. And then we'll all get a free pdf download, suck for people who bought the terminal. I just hope they stick to the codex stat this time. Keep the old point cost.

Magna Lascannon : range 24, 4 shot, S8, no blast. I checked and they did do 4 shot in the codex.

Ionstorm Missile : range 24, 1 shot, S4, large blast.

Conversion Beam : Short range 6, long range 24, 2 shot, S8, blast/large blast.

Karanos Mortar : range 20, 3 shot, S4, barrage, and the burning effect same as inerfus missile, but using a 3" blast marker instead of the 5" marker.

I love knights, but no Knights should have more dakka than a Knight Castellan :ohmy.:

Edited by Chopsticks

The part that concerns me the most is having banners of 1 knight for 100 points that count as an activation. For 1500 point games you can take 5 Acastus knights with 1,000 left over for titans and essentially force your opponent to move practically their entire force before you move any of your own titans. You don’t even get that kind of flexibility in a knight household, you have to activate an entire lance at a time so that’s 3 Acastus at once counting as one activation. In a game where the positioning of 3 or 4 individual models can win a game this would seem to be an issue before even taking into account their shooting prowess. Edited by Fajita Fan

They do have a "fun" rule back in the day to prevent knights spamming is that the amount of "rarer" knights cannot exceed the amount of common "questoris" knights. Guess that should balance things out a bit huh. But since it's 30k I guess Cerastus are also considered "common" like Questoris.

Or just limit it to 3 acactus banner.

Edited by Chopsticks

I'll have pics at some point, but I got my first Warlord magnetised today! Actually pretty painless, I also by sheer fluke arranged the magnets so that I can put the arm weapons on the shoulders and vice versa, which is highly amusing for at least ten seconds if you've never done it.

Dragonlover

Something fun with the Crusade Legio rule

Warmaster's Beneficence (mortis wargear) + Multiple warhead launcher, that's 30 hit of S4 from a Warlord. It's a one use but after that you can switch back to normal Apoc Missile profile.

Combine with Defensor Trait for more shooting.