Update to Prot's Thousand Sons: P2 Scarab Occult finished!

Prot

• 1 month later...

So I actually picked up a "start Collecting TS" box.

I just felt I was a few Rubrics short, and I definitely will eventually use the Tzaangors.

Interestingly enough I thought to expedite the process I have gone and tried to use a Contrast Primer and blue paint to start the unit and see how I like it.

This would be stage 1:

med_gallery_2760_12702_93937.jpg

Nice! That's great to see.

More pics in my Legions plog. Skin is 2 -3 layers of cassandora yellow with a final lamenters glaze, armour is 4 - 5 layers of druchii violet, serpent is coelia greenshade. The horns are even more layers of cassandora yellow. Weapons are poor mans NMM using nuln oil as a wash, then multiple layers as a glaze to build intensity and shading. 

I've been experimenting with contrast too for Tzaangors, trying different shades of blue over various basecoats to give the unit some variety. it's great for daemons too! Talasar blue is a good choice.

• 9 months later...

A waaaaay overdate TS update! 

5 Scarab Occult freshly painted. They will join my other 5 and I can call them done!

Prot-SOuccult-x-5.jpg?resize=768%2C553&s

And here they are with the other 5:

Prot-SOuccult-x10-1.jpg?resize=1024%2C60

A super time consuming army for me to paint, but I do love how they turn out:

Prot-SOuccult-x10-2.jpg?resize=768%2C576

It inspired me to pull out Ahriman and do something I've wanted to for a while. (I also worked a bit on his green OSL bits), and do a "Galaxy" cloak theme:

Prot-Ahriman-3.jpg?w=721&ssl=1

It's just nice to have 10 Scarab Occult ready to go.

Thank you very much guys. I wanted to do the cape effect a long time ago but did not like how it was working on some capes and I ended up doing approximately 3 distinct versions (a slightly different one is on my Abaddon.)

The cape has to have areas blocked in with lighter colours of the base cape colour. Then you can use the airbrush to just figure out how wide, and 'cloudy' the galaxy is going to be. You do that as heck few times, with a few colours of your choosing. Hand blending with a brush on the edges of the galaxy if the colour is too abstract. 

Referencing planets and actual galaxies helps so when you get in there, you can do ringed planets, shooting stars, pulsars and random flashes. Going back and forth through all these steps from beginning to end is what really adds the illusion of the depth. Some inks splashed in lightly on some clusters gives them a different dimensional aspect.

• 6 months later...

Thanks.

He's my Daemon Prince with "wings". The disk was the biggest one I could find and I wanted to do a non-standard, avian style D.P. He's about the right size, and will do the job in game. So far my opponent's have liked him and he's a touch smaller, but a touch higher, with the same base size so it seems to work out.

It fits his background of being elevated from an Exalted to a Daemon Prince. Again, I didn't want to do the overly 'avian' theme for this guy.