Echoes of Eisenstein - upscaling madness with the XIV

Wow, that is really fantastic! Awesome idea with the Iron Golems-based brutes!

Loving the Null Maidens too. Especially the bestial helmets.

Thanks Majkhel! I like the idea of different helmets, cloaks, trousers and other signifiers of various subgroups within the esoteric organisation hierarchies of the Imperial institutions, like the masked ones here hailing from a distinct sisterhood of blademaidens.

Today I tried out a scheme for some terrain, ought to paint enough stuff to fill two tables in a couple of weeks. Here we come, rad wastes!

1141855_sm-.JPG

1141856_sm-.JPG

1141857_sm-.JPG

1141858_sm-.JPG

1141859_sm-.JPG

• 1 month later...

Eyy, the forums work again. Posts for the post god, pics for the pic-throne!

Another batch of buildings and walls for the M29 madness has been completed and I'm ready to take this pile for a ride. It should be enough for two Kill Team tables, given some more scatter terrain in addition. In some later day I'll have to paint a bucketload of that myself as well, but not today.

Abandon all hope, ye who enter! Death to the Lord of Lightning!

1143157_sm-.JPG
1143158_sm-.JPG

1143148_sm-.JPG
1143149_sm-.JPG
1143150_sm-.JPG
1143151_sm-.JPG
1143152_sm-.JPG
1143153_sm-.JPG
1143154_sm-.JPG
1143155_sm-.JPG
1143156_sm-.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice - love the way you've individualized the doors, and the little building made from necromunda bulkheads are pretty neat,  Are the buildings glued, or can you take the roofs off to use the bulkheads as normal as well?

5 hours ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Very nice - love the way you've individualized the doors, and the little building made from necromunda bulkheads are pretty neat,  Are the buildings glued, or can you take the roofs off to use the bulkheads as normal as well?

Thanks. The buildings are glued, they wouldn't survive gaming if they weren't :D

This set was made from solid, chunky pieces with the explicit idea that it's going to see a lot of demo play with less than careful people as well, like children. I also had to file down some bits of the bulkheads at the corners, so they wouldn't come out unscathed anyway.

Edited by Sherrypie

Wow, lots of fantastic work and love put into those! Great vivid colors in your unique style. Loving the glowing lamps and hatch no. 74 especially :smile:
Whole board of those is pure awesomeness

I'm really enjoying the creativity and imagination of the conversions in this thread! :thumbsup::yes:

I just have a question about the roof/tops for these buildings you've made - are they old WFB regiment trays? 

Spoiler

1143149_sm-.JPG

1143150_sm-.JPG

1143151_sm-.JPG

They look fantastic, and as I have quite a few of these 'Munda walls, I may well do something similar..! Thank you :smile:

4 hours ago, Majkhel said:

Wow, lots of fantastic work and love put into those! Great vivid colors in your unique style. Loving the glowing lamps and hatch no. 74 especially :smile:
Whole board of those is pure awesomeness

Thanks Majkhel, that's the plan ;)

Currently there's enough to cover two KT boards or maybe a half of a regular 40k table, but one day...

48 minutes ago, firestorm40k said:

I'm really enjoying the creativity and imagination of the conversions in this thread! :thumbsup::yes:

I just have a question about the roof/tops for these buildings you've made - are they old WFB regiment trays? 

Reveal hidden contents

1143149_sm-.JPG

1143150_sm-.JPG

1143151_sm-.JPG

They look fantastic, and as I have quite a few of these 'Munda walls, I may well do something similar..! Thank you :smile:

Cheers, firestorm40k. Plenty more to come :)

As for the roofs, yes they are! I had some in my bits box and out of curiosity had to check if they would be just the right size over the bulkheads. 

21 minutes ago, Sherrypie said:

As for the roofs, yes they are! I had some in my bits box and out of curiosity had to check if they would be just the right size over the bulkheads. 

Thank you - that's really helpful! I'll have to see if I can find a few of those now... :biggrin:

Some WIP infantry happened.

1145859_sm-.jpg
1145860_sm-.jpg

Having played some Heresy 2.0 now, the need for basic tacticals seems timely again. I've had a bunch of cheap second hand mk III / IV marines laying around for a couple of years, now they'll get chopped up to shape (dear heavens if there wasn't a ton of mould lines on them to clean first...). The mk III seems a bit trickier to scale, but I found a good spot near the ankle and extended the thighs in the rubber tubing section so it should end up fine.

21 men waiting for their make-up sesh. I ended up sculpting some new heel armour on them as well to get it to curve right.

1146115_sm-.jpg

Reposing limbs on those ribbed legs required some violence.

1146116_sm-.jpg
1146117_sm-.jpg
1146118_sm-.jpg
1146119_sm-.jpg

"Bring your child to work", eh? The difference isn't generally this big, as the bionic leg and blutack push it up a bit, but still :D

1146120_sm-.jpg

I cracked open more stuff from the Age of Darkness box, this time starting with the giant pizza shovel axe man. Needless to say, that junk was right out. After a moment of deliberation, I instead made him a Moritat both for the fun factor of a loose cannon with bazillion shots and the idea of having such a bastard to lead my totally-coming-up-one-of-these-days Destroyers. Given their chunky size, didn't even have to do any real scaling work to have him be in line with the rest of the force.

1146377_sm-.jpg
1146378_sm-.jpg
1146379_sm-.jpg

The True Scale looks good, but I've always hated how labour intensive it is to cut the legs and add the spacers there, if I may, I offer an alternative that will yield very similar results for much less pain and suffering.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:19 PM, Grotsmasha said:

Ok, here we go.

1. I could not locate my plasticard / styrene sheets, so I cut up a 25mm GW base. It seemed a little to thick for this, but was good enough to show the process, I neede2 in total (1x32mm would probably have been enough).

gallery_48988_6285_64116.jpg

2. Using a sharp hobby knife I separated the abdomen from the torso front.

gallery_48988_6285_102610.jpg

3. Then glued the upper half to a flat of plasticard.

gallery_48988_6285_100588.jpg

4. I then trimmed the torso back neck bit flat so that it was level with the rest of the piece and glued on the abdomen.

gallery_48988_6285_92337.jpg

5. I then attached spacers beneath the feet and to the waist. For the waist, I used the curved lip I'd cut from the 25mm base.

gallery_48988_6285_35898.jpg

6. Let all the glue set for at least an hour, preferably longer as you don't want the pieces to move on the spacers as you trim them.

7. For expediency, I have just used my clippers and conformed to the shape of the torso, but for actual models a rough cut and the sanding or filing would provide a significantly tidier result. Here is a front and back shot of the trimmed torso, cut and shaved to fit onto the torso rear.

gallery_48988_6285_79179.jpggallery_48988_6285_43718.jpg

gallery_48988_6285_351.jpg

8. I then trimmed the waist spacer to the width of the cod piece.

gallery_48988_6285_75766.jpg

9. So here is the model assembled, with a side by side. See that gap at the waist? There's two ways to deal with it. The first is the easy way with pouches and grenades etc, which is what I've done. The second involves doubling the thickness of the belt with plasticard. If you were to gap the waist with Greenstuff, you could double purpose it to sculpt a thicker belt too.

(Actually, there's a third way, but is more time intensive than either method. Basically you cut the ball of the top of the legs, add the spacer between the legs and the ball joint. Personally though, I think GS will give the best result of all three methods)

gallery_48988_6285_129437.jpg

gallery_48988_6285_53797.jpg

gallery_48988_6285_42789.jpg

gallery_48988_6285_105849.jpg

and lastly, a comparison beside a Primaris,

gallery_48988_6285_185853.jpg

Cheers @Grotsmasha. While better than the unscaled default by the virtue of giving the marines an abdomen, the process you show is not for me. The problem is with the proportions of the legs compared to the torso. If we look at the last picture with the primaris marine, we can see that their upper bodies aren't too different in size: similar chestpieces and pauldrons still fit. What the primaris has, though, is longer and thicker shins and thighs. His knees are one knee's worth higher. Having tasted the anatomical glory of the Vitruvian man, I just can't look at such child soldiers in my ranks :sweat: