Forging a Narrative: AdMech/IK Blog - IG2020

• 2 weeks later...

So got in two combat patrol games against a new-ish player over the weekend. He was playing Tau and was fine taking on my knights, praise the Omnimessiah.

So I used the armigars of my traveling lance.

Knight Combat Patrol
SHD (3/3 CP)
House Tradition: Taranis

Knight Moriax - Lightning Loc, Siege claw w/ rad cleanser - Warlord, Blessing of the Sactican, Sanctuary
Armigar Warglaive - Thermal Spear, Reaper Chain cleaver, meltagun
Armigar Helverin - Armigar Autocannon x2, Heavy Stubber

Cost: 450 pts

Tau Combat Patrol
Combat Patrol (0/3 CP)
Sept Tenets: Dal’yth

Commander in Enforcer Suit - Fusion blaster x2, Shield generator, Target lock - Warlord, Dynamic Mirror Field, Through Boldness Victory
5 man Firewarrior team - photon grenades, pulse rifles
3 man Crisis Team - burst cannon x2/shield generator (x2), Shas’vre w/ fusion blaster x2, drone controller - 4 gun drones
Broadside - Heavy Rail Rifle, SMS, Drone controller. Seeker missile, 2x marker drones

Cost: 502 pts

Missions were Incursion and Outrider, we also fought on a close to suggested board of 3’x4’. Of the terrain all of it gave light cover with only one real obscuring piece. Not that I got any benefit from them, but still made me have to path correctly.

First game - Outrider

Authors note: I refrained from giving any advice unless specifically asked during this game. But ho boy it was hard holding my tongue.

Deployment wise I had the obscuring terrain in my deployment zone so hid both the moriax and helverin behind it. The warglaive was going to take up a forward position to go after his broadside which took up a sniper position on a small ruin in his deployment zone. The rest of his force was castled by the objective in his turf.

20210206 132930[1]

20210206 132920[1]

Tau got first turn and didn’t do any damage, the broadside wiffed hard and the suits could get close enough to hit anything. My first move wasn’t much better as the moriax tried to assault the crisis team and was halted by the drones. She was then diabled the following turn as I couldn’t save against the fusion shots and those hurt. The helverin was a trooper for the rest of the game shifting around picking off suits while the warglaive ripped it’s way through his deployment zone. The warglaive cut down the broadside then ran after the firewarriors. He was tabled turn 5 and I had him in VP. Only help I gave him was to explain how ‘Look out Sir’ worked to shield his commander better.

IMG 20210206 155413803[1]

Before the next game I told him about the suits deep strike ability that could help him get in striking range. Not close enough to get the fusion damage bonus, but close enough to get a shot in.

Second Game - Incursion (aka Dawn of War)

We re-arranged the terrain, taking the obscuring piece and shifting it to the side. While he still placed the broadside in the second floor of the ruin he placed his commander with the firewarriors near the front of his zone. Most likely to go after the objective, his broadside was above the other. He did hold the crisis team in reserve. I did a minor refused flank, the moriax just off center and forward with the other two trailing off along the line. He got first turn again, this time glancing the warglaive with the broadside. His commander and firewarriors ran to grab an objective. This time I did a little better. The moriax moved to engage the firewarriors/commander while the warglaive positioned to take a mid field objective and the helverin took the back field. 

The moriax fried the firewarriors and the helverin locked the commander in its sights to drop it hard and fast. His crisis team arrived on top of the obscuring terrain and unloaded into the warglaive nearby. His armour held up really well and only took minor damage. He wasn’t able to recover after that, I made my way around the board taking objectives and between dropping his warlord and dropping a unit a turn for Attrition I was scoring lots of points. We stopped at turn four when his crisis team was surrounded by my force.

20210206 152919 HDR[1]

Post game:

So my combat patrol works well. Might go with the LL/SC moriax combo more often. I’m planning on not giving my lead armigar any relic/traits due to how knights work in crusade. It was nice to let the kids out to play for a bit. They have been cooped up so long one of them fell apart (my wolf helverin), luckily it’s an easy fix and I had more with me.

As for the Tau player, we worked out that he might benefit from a custom sept since he is going semi-suit heavy. He wants Up-Gunned for the bonus AP to burst cannons and I suggested Hybridized Weapons to give him the ability to get the fusion bonus damage after deep striking. The choose of Dal’yth was to go tanky and it did help his broadside to a point, but that sept is more built for castling and in an objective based game that’s not much of an option til larger games when you can have a dedicated detachment to guarding your home turf.

He stated he had fun and learned a lot. So win/win?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for not posting in a while. I've been busy on multiple projects.

So I recently finished two more knights. One is the Preceptor for my main house and the other is a moriax for my ghost knight lance.

20210329 192000[1]

The preceptor's sword is removable and in carried on his back. Here his holding it.

20210329 192109[1]

To get a better idea of scale here he is holding it in the WIP stage..

20200810 180345

I haven't gotten any games in due to scheduling issues at current. Luckily my state is fast tracking vaccinations so hopefully in a few months gaming will be going full steam.

I'm also in the planning stages of a tech priest cosplay that I plan to use while streaming Mechanicus later this year.

So yeah I'll get a few pictures of the completed Ghost lance later.

Thank you all for stopping by.

• 2 months later...

So I had been working on the admech, just super slowly due to the fact I took up streaming. plug

So here is the achaeopter I'm working on. I don't like the Divinci aesthetic so went with a xenos tech like some of my knights are since it's the same forge.

20210607 211458

I also have more of Artel W's solifuges on the way, eight more so I can do three squads of three breachers.

My local group is going to be doing a crusade and with the release of the admech codex I figure why not play as them and make some interesting tech.

I'm going to start with something small, just a combat patrol of admech and knights (can't leave home with out them).

This is what I'm looking at starting with:

Admech Combat Patrol
Forgworld: Mars

HQ
WARLORD: Tech-Priest Manipulus (105)
- Magnarail lance
TRAITS: Masterwork Bionics
Holy Order: Artisan
TROOPS
Skitarii Rangers (125) x2
1x Skitarii Ranger: Omnispex
1x Skitarii Ranger Alpha w/ taser goad and arc pistol
2x Skitarii Ranger: Transuranic arquebus
6x Skitarii Ranger

FLYER
Archaeopter Stratoraptor (180)  Chaff launcher

Knight Combat patrol

Moriax Armigar x3
(Weapon loadout will vary)

I'm looking at making a squad of vanguard later and adding the kataphrans plus a Skorpius Disintegrator and a tech priest or three.

The reason for the squad of moriax is in case someone wants to do an incursion early I can still take advantage of the Knight of the Cog ability. I'll hold off getting a bigger knight until someone else in the group brings one. Then the arms begins and I have the models to spare.

I hope I can keep this updated as I do the games. I did do a small crusade campaign with my knights over the past two months, but I'm stretched thin so no write ups. I will try and remember to post pictures later as I at least have those.

Edited by Focslain

• 2 weeks later...

So I got in my first game with the admech. It went better than expected….

Admech Combat Patrol

Forge: Mars

Maninplus w/ magnarail, Holy Order Artisan
Techarchologist w/ eradicationpistol, mechendrarite relic

10 skatarii rangers - Alpha w/ taser goad and arc pistol, 2x arquebus, 7x galvanic rifles
10 skatarii rangers - Alpha w/ taser goad and arc pistol, 1x arquebus, 8x galvanic rifles
3 Kataphran Breacher - Heavy arc rifle and arc claw

Stratorapter - 2x heavy phosphor blaster, 2x cognis heavy stuber, twin cognis lascannon

Imperial Knight Super Heavy Aux Detachment

2x Knight Moriax - 2x Voltkite Culvain, siege claw w/ rad cleanser, lightning lock

46/50 PL

Eldar Combat Patrol

Craftworld Iyendan

Farseer on bike - Singing spear, Executioner, Doom

10 Dire Avengers - Exarch
10 Howling Banshees - Exarch

Wave Serpent - Twin bright lance, shuriken cannon
Fire Prism - shuriken cannon

Hemlock Exarch

His farseer and hemlock had the bonus skill that allows an additional psychic cast each turn. This was the same force he used in the last campaign.

Mission: Sabotage
Agendas: Tech Scavengers, Open the Vault.

I was attacker.

Eldar was the defender, set up the objective spaced out pretty evenly. Random roll on the vault had the objective in my zone.

Deployment was fast, set up from left to right, Moriax squad opposite of his fire prism, kataphrans with techarchologosist on top of the vault objective, both squads of skatarii flanking the manipulus in a ruin building with the stratoraptor just behind on the far right flank.

He had his hemlock opposite of my stratoraptor, dire avengers in a trench in his zone with the howling banshees in the wave serpent. The farseer was behind the dire avengers.

Attacker goes first so off I went. Doctrina was protector and canticle was benediction for the alpha strike. Everything moved up and the stratoraptor was point blank with the hemlock. Combined fire from the lightning lock and two ranger squads wiped out the dire avengers, the voltakite moriax put a dent in the fire prism and the snipers shaved a few wounds off the farseer. The stratoraptor nearly killed the hemlock, it’s spirit stones keeping it alive after taking a full damage load from the lascannon. The manipulus sniped it for the kill steal, though now the marker was in the back field, but the hemlock is dangerous if it breaths. The kataphrans destroyed the objective marker before the techarchologist could extract the tech properly.

His turn wasn’t as productive. The farseer poured all his psychic might into the LL moriax and doomed it but only caused two mortal wounds. Combined fire from the fire prism and wave serpent added four more wounds to bracket it for all of five seconds. The wave serpent put it’s shuriken cannon in a ranger squad and dropped one.

Everything repositioned but wounded ranger squad. Kataphrans started their second objective. Once again the stratoraptor’s lascannon over-performed (max damage), nearly killin the wave serpent. It was finished off by one ranger squad with the other using Galavanic volley to wipe out the howling banshees. The Moriax took out the fire prism in a combination fire support and assault with the farseer getting baked by the rad-cleanser.

He was tabled turn two. As for the wrecked hemlock we agreed that if I could get a character to it by turn fve I’d get the archotech. The manipulus really moved, getting max advance rolls (due to re-rolls) so I got some tech.

Post-game: Ok, did not expect this. I got lucky for once. I order a set of the cards because it will help me in longer games for what doctrina and canticules I can use.

I have a game versus sisters later today and he has the nundams so this will be interesting. I believe the abbess would be the target of the scavenge agenda so good thing I have snipers or I’ll send the plane on an assassination mission.

Picts from the battle:

20210624 190944

20210624 194158

20210624 194153

20210624 195049

Great looking game and sounds like fun. I have one plane model and was pretty set on the bomber but the las cannon load out is starting to look interesting.

Rules wise, you can not have 2 TUA in a 10 ranger squad. You can only have double weapons in squads that are 20 model in size. You could have added either an arc rifle, plasma caliver, or both at 10 model unit size.

It’s confusing and has wrecked my unit load outs.

Edited by brother_b

Work and weekend were busy, took a bit to reply.

Great looking game and sounds like fun. I have one plane model and was pretty set on the bomber but the las cannon load out is starting to look interesting.

Rules wise, you can not have 2 TUA in a 10 ranger squad. You can only have double weapons in squads that are 20 model in size. You could have added either an arc rifle, plasma caliver, or both at 10 model unit size.

It’s confusing and has wrecked my unit load outs.

Actually I was allowed by battlescribe and the 40Kapp to mount the twin specials in a 10 man. Plus there is the squads in the crusade army picture that have double of the same weapon. I understand your reasoning which is why I double checked it against a few things.

Also the dual aquabus was from my old squad but I want 2x aquabus and 2x arc rifles in the 20 man. So I did get an arc rifle painted for this one and swapped out the second aquabus until I buffer the squad. At least that way I’m future proofing if GW releases a FAQ/fix in the future.

I don’t remember much of the battle, but will drop what I do.

So seems the newer codexes are balanced against each other. Did my game against the sisters and got my butt kicked, but not without giving them a bloody nose.

My opponent wanted to use his entire force at 55 PL. We still kept it at the incursion sized mission/table since it was just over the line. I just added another Moriax this time with grantic pulsar and siege claw. He had:

Sisters Force

Order of the Ardent Shroud

Canoness

Morvenn Vahl
Dogmata

3x paragon warsuits (melta/storm bolter, swordx2, 1 mace)
2 5x battle sisters (each with an incense cherbuim)
5 serphims

Rhino

Immolator w/ melta

Mission was capture the relic.

He got first turn and the warsuits proceeded to nuke my flyer, -1 to hit doesn’t help as much when the unit can reroll everything.  The warsuits then killed at least a unit per turn. He also beat me to the relic, though I kept him from running away with it.

I wasn’t wounding much at all, my dice saying nope. Even the moriax were performing below par. I managed to take out both tanks and a battle sister squad. He had me tabled in turn 5, the moriax going down last.

I kind of want to finish more admech and get some more kataphrans done as they do work as I nice spearhead unit. It took most of his army firing at them for two turns and finally his canoness clubbing them to death to drop just the three. Get another trio or two and I feel they will be a nice battering ram with the techachelolgist directing them.

At least for the propose of the campaign I helped a fellow Imperial buff up.

Next I have a game against some nids. I swapped the moriax for good old helverins in my order of battle. Honestly I should have started with them as I feel they would do better support then the moriax. Live and learn.

Also the models for the destroyers and Kastellans are on their way. So I should be dropping the knights wholesale in a week or two.

Work and weekend were busy, took a bit to reply.

Actually I was allowed by battlescribe and the 40Kapp to mount the twin specials in a 10 man. Plus there is the squads in the crusade army picture that have double of the same weapon. I understand your reasoning which is why I double checked it against a few things.

Also the dual aquabus was from my old squad but I want 2x aquabus and 2x arc rifles in the 20 man. So I did get an arc rifle painted for this one and swapped out the second aquabus until I buffer the squad. At least that way I’m future proofing if GW releases a FAQ/fix in the future.

Yes, there are a few rules BattleScribe do not apply correctly, for instance they haven't implemented the "Brotherhood of the Cog" rule yet ^^

EDIT : nvm, they've updated this now !

Edited by Magos Guilderius Davvarel

I may have misunderstood this part in your post above: “10 skatarii rangers - Alpha w/ taser goad and arc pistol, 2x arquebus, 7x galvanic rifles”.

You’ll have to update BattleScribe then, they’ve got the correct special weapons rules per the codex now.

Unfortunately the codex rules do not allow double special weapons until a full 20 model unit. 

Under 10 models you may have one single special weapon.

Units of 10-19 models may have up to one (1) each of the special weapons.

Units of 20 models may have up to two (2) each of the special weapons.

If you already knew this then I apologize. I jus want to make sure other players aren’t getting surprised like I was.

It became an issue in one of my first codex games when I realized I could not have double plasma in my vanguard and double TUA in my ranger squads of 10 models.

Well I did change the squad in my second game to match the community interpretation of the rule to avoid complaints. BS would match that as well as it's a community maintained program. The app and examples in the codex say otherwise, but as been pointed out ad nauseum that GW barely understands it's own rules at times. 

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while since my last update, mostly due to being busy and not taking pictures.

We finished the second phase of the Charadon Campaign, I had to switch from admech to knights due to the swingness of the admech and I was not feeling them just yet.

Below is my main 50PL force for now. It's 6 warglaives lead by a helverin. For crusade proposes only the helverin will be gaining battle honours so it will be easier for me to track and use said honours.

20210807 143531

The plan for the crusades (there are twoish being run in my area) is to front the knights, expand the order of battle and add in both a Veteran Skatarii Cohort and a Defensive Cohort. Planned base break down of this is 100/50/50 PL with an additional 50PL for other units in the cohorts. Making the final OoB 250 PL once completed.

Here is a picture of an old combat patrol of my admech minus the stratoraptor.

20210710 134018

Picture of the near completed stratoraptor, just need to get the scenic base done.

20210722 182419

And finally the new Magnra that is to replace my crusading stryix.

20210819 203905

I'm working on the schemes for my kastellan bots and kataphran destroyers. Once those are done I have a 15 man vanguard squad to get done as well as some characters.

Edited by Focslain

So over the weekend I did a knight vs knight game against my friend's full house.

It was his 209 PL vs my 215PL of secondary lances, my own house is closer to 300PL currently.

I don't remember all the traits and relics, but model wise we had -

The Putresant Hand

Tyrant (castellan)
4 Despoilers (battle cannon x2, paladin, warden, errant)
Rampager
Magnra
4 wardogs (2 warglaives, 2 helverins)

vs

Heroes of the Academy.

2 Crusaders
Styrix
Magnra
Paladin
Gallant
9 Armigars (3 of each)

We did an Onslaught mission, which he won by points, but I did table him turn four. He got first turn, got into position and it took me all game to push back. We house ruled that terrain that blocked all the knight blocked full LOS to them, regardless of size. So we did have fire lanes for the big boys.

Pictures of the battle in the spoiler.

20210828 130421

20210828 130410

20210828 164351

20210828 140904

20210828 140911

20210828 152649

20210828 152655

20210828 152659

He already has two more big games planned, one of which will include my admech and knights. The other is his full collection of Deathguard versus my crusading marine force

• 1 year later...

So nercoing this thread to give a long overdue update. 

I got the defensive cohort part of the army done for the most part. Only thing left is the custom Dominus from WGE, but pictured is a good old GW version.

20220811_1902261.thumb.jpg.a3b2b9526e6ff1675ccec521affbf4f5.jpg

List is as follows:

DEFENSE COHORT

Army Faction: Imperium
    - Game Mode: Grand Tournament
    - Army Size: Incursion

ARKS OF OMEN DETACHMENT
    - Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus
    - Sub-faction: Agripinaa

HQ
Tech-Priest Dominus (70)
Technoarcheologist (85)
    - Warlord
    - Holy Orders upgrade: Artisans
    - Relics: Anzion’s Pseudogenetor
    - Stratagems: Relic

Troops
Kataphron Breachers (105)
    - 3x Kataphron Breacher
Kataphron Destroyers (120)
    - 3x Kataphron Destroyer: Cognis flamer
Kataphron Breachers (210)
    - 6x Kataphron Breacher
Kataphron Destroyers (120)
    - 3x Kataphron Destroyer: Cognis flamer

Heavy Support

Kastelan Robots (170)
    - 2x Kastelan Robot: Kastelan fist

Elite Character

Cybernetica Datasmith (35)
    - Relics: The Uncreator Gauntlet
    - Stratagems: Archeotech Specialists

Stratagems
    - Relic (1CP)
    - Archeotech Specialists (1CP)

Total Command Points: 2/6

Reinforcement Points: 85

Total Points: 915/1000

I've used it in crusade, upgrading all the kataphrans with Indentured Machines, which made them decently durable. More so now that I can get them 4++ due to all admech getting the bionics upgraded. Not sure how this is going to fair in the upcoming edition. I'm way behind on collecting Archeotech for making relics, but we'll see if that system holds in 10th, doubt it.