30k Hobby Chat

3 hours ago, Cruor Vault said:

Wee baby Mastodon for my Suzerains to ride in (counts as a Proteus Carrier). 

This is the model that originally sparked my interest in 3D printing.  I love the Mastodon model, but don’t have the space for one right now.  This thing keeps all the aesthetic qualities I wanted, but has the exact same footprint as a Landraider.  It took me about 6months of printing before I felt confident enough to try printing it!

C3D6533E-F95C-408F-97F9-D7059FC941D1.jpeg

You can call it... Mammoth. A pocket Mastodon!XD

8864604E-8E60-4569-B591-5AAD7F0E08FF.thumb.jpeg.bfdd5232f4a35aab5f6ae78394b08f7c.jpeg

I’ve done some painting! I dug out an ancient Castra Ferrum dread for some fire support, and here it is with my squad of deliverers, five (more) seekers and the finished Kaedes Nex (front left). These are all ready for transfers, a bit of dust and basing. 

Meanwhile I’m still mucking about with the Praetor’s wings. Nearly there. 

Edited by Mandragola

Sorry for spam, but that batch of stuff is now done. Here’s a marginally better attempt to photograph them. we have:

Kaedes Nex, very naughty boy. 

0675A104-A3F9-4DD4-A20F-975D427B0692.thumb.jpeg.681ac128124bd2d4b20f670a07aece9b.jpeg

A boxnaught, rescued from the bits box.55DB66D5-6CAE-4916-BBA2-384DA097E4A3.thumb.jpeg.dc089d7c2c7ec60702f176152aec15e5.jpeg

Five Terran veteran Deliverers.

2B13242F-27E4-469B-B6AD-AD2D0FA5C361.thumb.jpeg.851ac6e5e6faa128c1c3645d1e720763.jpeg

Five seekers. I’ve got a full squad of these now, with two sergeants so I can run a. Combi-disintegrator or not. 

6A106889-361D-4C27-86FB-72E21E17586C.thumb.jpeg.e8663495d61feb295b157d2b005cb76b.jpeg

C+C welcome!

Edited by Mandragola

Need a bit of advice.

Roboute Guillemann.

I hate hate HATE his head.

Got this model as an ebay rescue a while back and have started oainting it up.

Going to go for a battle worn look, rather than pristine (explains missing or damaged bits on the model.

His head, uh, looks I dunno, like he is still asleep or something.

I managed to get a Phalanx Warder head to make him a bit more ... dynamic/ angry!

Am I going along the right tracks or is there something better out there?

AD68vsl.jpg

ixtqayg.jpg

QPhydpG.jpg

H8BhbAF.jpg

Also while I was away from work, my kids played with Horus and dropped him (painted this 2015-2016 maybe). A bit of the stairway is missing, no big deal!, but the broke WorldBreaker which is now missing and the tips of the claw are snapped off of a few of the claws.

Managed to get a WorldBreaker head from a bits site, from Horus Ascended, but it is huge compared to the original, does it look stupid, or just run with it?

Also how to fix the claws??   I might, just maybe have a dea marine somewhere so could potentially position iyr to look like he is dropping a body... or maybe a dead solar auxillia like from Curze's base?

Thoughts??

hQ9itWg.jpg

Yh7AFls.jpg

2lZTa2P.jpg

SI70Db6.jpg

I like the Guilliman head, though it must look enormous on a 28mm model. 

That’s really bad luck on Horus. Id consider trying to sharpen the claws, which look sort of like a set of butter knives now - though you’ve done really well to repair it as well as you have. 

Workdvreaker does look big. A slightly shorter rod would probably help. 

Or maybe take the money for Horus Ascended out of their pocket money. 

I have the head somewhere, could see how it looks on a normal marine.

As for the rod, it could do with shortening, so thats something to be done. Horus ascended is on my shopping list, want the original Horus and the ascended one, to show his change.

The only other idea I had was to see if I could get the claws from the 40K Abaddon model and try clipping back Horus claws then try fitting Abaddon's.

I'd also like to get the Daemon Angron as a counterpart to  the original FW model too

@Mandragola Love how dusty those Seekers and their bases look. Nice work!

@Dantay VI That headswap works really nicely. Absolute pain about Horus, I feel like the new mace head is too large, but maybe a shorter rod will help a bit.

@de Selby Solid work on the Raider, particuarly the placement of transfers.

@Cruor Vault What a cool idea! I also think that vexila looks ace!

13 hours ago, Dantay VI said:

Roboute Guillemann.

I hate hate HATE his head.

Got this model as an ebay rescue a while back and have started oainting it up.

Going to go for a battle worn look, rather than pristine (explains missing or damaged bits on the model.

His head, uh, looks I dunno, like he is still asleep or something.

I managed to get a Phalanx Warder head to make him a bit more ... dynamic/ angry!

Am I going along the right tracks or is there something better out there?

The Phalanx head looks great, should fit perfect. Ive just picked up a plastic 40K RG head for my 40K RG, ive seen someone else use it and it looked a lot better than the original resin head.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:28 PM, sarabando said:

Knocked up a night lords contemptor last night.

IMG_20230316_232512.jpg

Looks like the "Double Finger Pistols Party Machine guy" and I love it. :thumbsup:

I couldn't sleep last night and build my first Alpha Legion squad.

20230318_075927.thumb.jpg.1b66801301f740ebf3b2306f0ffff80c.jpg

Nice litte Seeker Squad.

A little BangBang for my dudes.

Edited by Gorgoff
As usual I had to correct my spelling.

Working on quite a few projects at the moment, took a break from painting to build some Morlocks: 

894C768A-8929-490E-900A-3D78BCB33823.thumb.jpeg.fcc5b7cce11da77f0f24c15607251fab.jpeg730B1DD3-3656-4A3E-94FE-F63DFE999789.thumb.jpeg.240e0b9728ff72806c59e5a7b3513098.jpeg

Unfortunately Morlocks can’t take Thunder hammers, so the chap with the hammer will be replaced by my Cataphractii herald. The squad will double as a standard command squad and standard Cataphractii depending on the list! 

Cadmus

2 hours ago, Cruor Vault said:

Had a little photo shoot with the squads I finished this week!

I’ve really been enjoying pulling some of the bright colors from Rogue Trader era schemes into my Ultramarines. 

DFB54600-82E4-40C1-8AFE-D61E9D2CC7A7.jpeg

49E0B1CA-9CF6-4500-A364-D0F7E4224226.jpeg

360F5DC2-03A0-44CF-AB50-E17E7844AB14.jpeg

Gorgeous and a nice example what a headswap and different shoulder pads do to make your models look unique.

3 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

Gorgeous and a nice example what a headswap and different shoulder pads do to make your models look unique.

I hadnt even clocked the shoulder pad swap on the tactical!!, was so impressed with the heads. The heads alone have a lovely classic feel of the early heresy art and the smooth shoulder pads fit that really well too.

8 minutes ago, dickyelsdon said:

I hadnt even clocked the shoulder pad swap on the tactical!!, was so impressed with the heads. The heads alone have a lovely classic feel of the early heresy art and the smooth shoulder pads fit that really well too.

You are gonna absolutely love mine then... Whenever I'm ready to show them lol.

My week of frenetic painting is almost over! This is what I’ve picked into a case (and a shoe box) to take to Brighton this weekend. When I get there I’ll actually have to do a bit of metal on my dark furies, paint a searchlight on my predator that I only remembered as I was packing, and maybe try and blend some of the blue on my warhound a little better till I fall asleep. 

I will probably take some photos over the course of the weekend. Might start one of those blogs or something. 

7ECC64FC-4443-4435-9D3F-5BA2863EBDB9.thumb.jpeg.a71d678c3fbddefdaf6e67b760a5dfb5.jpeg