30k Hobby Chat

Base coats are all in place! While there's a lot of trim, and my scheme makes bone areas gold instead, I was really happy to find that the blue wasn't overwhelmed by the gold (and that he's not coming off too ultramarine-y). 

PXL_20230124_172848311.thumb.jpg.03b0a8c8ec192e470d665c8883a8e8d7.jpgPXL_20230124_172908007.thumb.jpg.f37484fa9160b2952b113259da590ee1.jpg

Just really happy with the overall look of the model, to the point where I forgot about the oil wash on the blue. It's a bit surreal to have a model with a big honking old raptor jetpack and not be top heavy and tipping over lol.

Progress for the Progress Gods!

For the 20th:

D58E2898-7634-45CB-A79A-80B2F26FD842.jpeg

Caption: 

[Marine at back]: I am Alpharius.

[Marine at front]: and I am Sergeant Alpharius in Artificer Armour.

And for the IXth:

66F9195D-5805-4138-A376-7D19E99E60CC.jpeg
Rest of the recon squad. Yes the shotguns look a bit gorilla-armed and the sergeant pose didn’t come out as well as the mock-up, but sometimes you can’t let the best be the enemy of the good.

Edited by LameBeard
Pictures in text, not all at end

1 hour ago, sarabando said:

Are you worried about the aerodynamics of a 8ft 3ton walking tank with a jet engine strapped.to his back? XD 

No, worried they will physically intersect :D 

13 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Base coats are all in place! While there's a lot of trim, and my scheme makes bone areas gold instead, I was really happy to find that the blue wasn't overwhelmed by the gold (and that he's not coming off too ultramarine-y). 

PXL_20230124_172848311.thumb.jpg.03b0a8c8ec192e470d665c8883a8e8d7.jpgPXL_20230124_172908007.thumb.jpg.f37484fa9160b2952b113259da590ee1.jpg

Just really happy with the overall look of the model, to the point where I forgot about the oil wash on the blue. It's a bit surreal to have a model with a big honking old raptor jetpack and not be top heavy and tipping over lol.

Those jetpacks are grant. I have them for my DG as well. Wonderful.

Following on from my Zone Mortalis scenery, I managed to stay on target and paint some objectives for standard games;

Zm48Qdh.jpg

and some objectives to match the Kill Team Into the Dark boards for ZM games;

ocexK7g.jpg

Now I get to reward myself for eating my hobby greens by doing some Justaerin!

11 hours ago, Xenith said:

How are you finding the heavy flamer sponsons on the preds? If they gained like torrent 12" for being vehicle mounted, I'd be all over them, however having to be that close to shoot makes me avoid them. 

Cheap Lascannon sponsons are just such a no brainer option i regret running some heavy bolters :D 

11 hours ago, Gore Crow said:

Levi ready to serve!

80E4B349-DD10-49B1-8194-26754313FADC.jpeg

Interesting load out, I’m considering a Leviathan but was steering towards a close combat build. I’ve always like the idea of a dual ranged weapon leviathan but the CC potential seems too much to ignore. Have you managed to use it in a game yet? 

Cadmus 

Here's a question for you guys.

With my RTB01 Imperial Space Marines.. I have just enough chain bayonets to do 1 full 20 man squad or 2 squads of 10.

Is it worth rolling them into 1 full size squad to use as a bulk soak-up squad etc

Just rebased the 2nd lot of 10. I have plenty enough models left over can do another 14 I think from what I have left on the sprues + a bag of them spare. Unfortunately I don't have enough of the original missile launchers or flamers to do more than a 5 squad of heavies/support - which isn't worth it as can use the modern Mk6 models for this.

BTW yes, I know one is misisng his arms, they came off while rebasing them lol

edit: if I do it as a full 1 man squad then will replace the 2nd sergeant

RTB01 Tactical Squad - 04.jpg

Edited by Dark-Storm-01
I'm an idiot

2 hours ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

Here's a question for you guys.

With my RTB01 Imperial Space Marines.. I have just enough chain bayonets to do 1 full 20 man squad or 2 squads of 10.

Is it worth rolling them into 1 full size squad to use as a bulk soak-up squad etc

Just rebased the 2nd lot of 10. I have plenty enough models left over can do another 14 I think from what I have left on the sprues + a bag of them spare. Unfortunately I don't have enough of the original missile launchers or flamers to do more than a 5 squad of heavies/support - which isn't worth it as can use the modern Mk6 models for this.

BTW yes, I know one is misisng his arms, they came off while rebasing them lol

edit: if I do it as a full 1 man squad then will replace the 2nd sergeant

RTB01 Tactical Squad - 04.jpg

<weeps salt tears of jealousy>

Seriously, either would be awesome, but if you have rhinos in your stash, don’t you want them to have the option to ride?

36 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

<weeps salt tears of jealousy>

Seriously, either would be awesome, but if you have rhinos in your stash, don’t you want them to have the option to ride?

I believe I have 2 rhinos from ye olden days but tbh I've never really used them - always found it a hassle to embark and disembark as you wasted your turn doing so.

And what with my local store only having small tables tanks aren't really all that useful there. If my local store were bigger then maybe

I'll paint up a separate sergeant to go with them, that way have the option to split if need be

Edited by Dark-Storm-01

17 hours ago, Noserenda said:

2 squads of 10 are usually more useful, you get an extra sergeant and can be in two different places. You can always expand those squads later if you like anyway.

I have 2 x Mk3 10 man tactical squads + an Indomitus  Terminator squad which classes as troops (support) made up of my ancient terminators So 1 big block to tie up any large squad an opponent might wield would be handy.

What I'll do is paint up a 2nd sergeant anyway so the squad is 21 models and that way if I need to I can just split it to separate squads and have a normal legionary spare.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:02 AM, Cadmus Tyro said:

Interesting load out, I’m considering a Leviathan but was steering towards a close combat build. I’ve always like the idea of a dual ranged weapon leviathan but the CC potential seems too much to ignore. Have you managed to use it in a game yet? 

Cadmus 

Yep, I’ve used it a couple of times. It’s not very subtle and is often outranged - but it is very scary for opponents to be near, whether shooting or charging.