30k Hobby Chat

1 hour ago, Pacific81 said:

Just looking through the AoD book and it's a mightily impressive tome and nicely produced, but one thing that stands out is the almost complete lack of artwork; very, very little apart from a few Primarch portraits at the start of the book. It's quite disappointing, as nice as it is to see painted miniatures I always found artwork fires the imagination and creativity when looking at that sort of thing.

It's something you see in more small scale historicals soft-bound books which are produced non-professionally and where they can't afford artwork to be commissioned. Especially considering the absolute mountain of artwork from the Heresy TCG alone, I can't understand why it isn't bursting with it.

I couldn't agree more. That was the probably the most obvious change I noticed between the old Black Books and the new Heresy stuff was the relative lack of lore and art work. I recreated squads or individuals based on the art work and stories I read about in some of the old Black Books, it was really inspiring. They are sorely lacking in the new Heresy stuff. I understand they needed to make things more concise and more accessible to new fans but it is a shame. Those old Heresy books were a real labour of love.

I have to say the biggest disappointment for personally was the Sisters of Silence in the Liber Imperium, while adding lots of new units, there was hardly any background or artwork at all. No colour schemes for the various cadres, etc.

I love artwork, colour plates of different schemes and background fluff, but the first two Libers, covering the legions, are ENORMOUS! If they’d put anything else in them they’d be impractically big. Once they had that format, they evidently decided they should follow that through for the other Libers. Seeing as they were pumping these out to get people playing in relatively short order, I think this was an understandable compromise.

Having said all that, I’m hoping that whatever they do next (accepting we’re still waiting on Daemons and militia/cultists), which most people are predicting will likely be campaign-focused source books, will be much richer with colour plates and artwork. If not, *that* would be a real shame.

Yes I agree the books are already big enough, perhaps then it's a choice of what you fill those books with? Could the rules have been written in a more effecient manner, especially considering the unit profiles are split out into supporting books? I've read an 80s Middle Ages warfare ruleset with rules so complex they included your troops being depleted by dysentry before the game and that didn't stretch to anything like the AoD pagecount!

For the art itself, if it was a timing/rushed publication issue, again they had so much quality art they had rights to from the Collected Visions book so didn't necessarily need to wait for new work to be completed (although that sort of thing was always generally expected for a new rule or army book).

Another thing missing are the little narrative extracts which were always common in GW rulebooks. The small stories that help make the world feel alive. Maybe they thought those wouldn't be necessary as everyone buying the book has probably read the BL book series? But it makes the book feel sterile, and there would be absolutely no reason to keep this book in 3-4 years time when HH version 3.0 appears, contrast with the bookshelf I have of old rule and army books stretching back to Rogue Trader. And that feels a shame.

In an attempt to move on from my disapointment, in being unable to get any of the preorders for today, I've been getting back to melding a venerable box dread and a ironclad together based on the old Mk IV dread and taking some inspiration from Brofist's great work here. But I'm looking to build up the legs a bit more similar to what Brofist has done, I was going to use the Redemptor's legs but I didn't realise that was bigger than a bloody Leviathan so I'm now at an impass. I don't think a Sentinel's will work, a bit too spindly looking and I'm not 100% sure on a Titanicus Warhound's legs (with a feet change) so I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas or advice. I'd like to keep it plastic for ease of adjusting if needs be but I'm just at a loss of what to use.

Built yet another Heavy Support choice option for the single slot in the Terror Assault RoW. Parts bought in the Warhammer World shop at Christmas, as I finally made the pilgrimage.

Have some mk6 upgrades arriving this week and manage to get 5 boxes of jetbikes to marry them with. Just need to figure out command squad loadouts. 

20230210_171716.jpg

Some fiddly components but it's a really nice kit overall. Little disappointed the rear of the bike has to be left off if you want to keep the rider separate for painting, the pipes from the riders back get in the way. 

Not ready to magnetize straight out the box, but 3 short lengths of sprue in the right spots and it's perfect. 

20230218_185612.jpg

7 hours ago, Brother_Angelus said:

Some fiddly components but it's a really nice kit overall. Little disappointed the rear of the bike has to be left off if you want to keep the rider separate for painting, the pipes from the riders back get in the way. 

Not ready to magnetize straight out the box, but 3 short lengths of sprue in the right spots and it's perfect. 

20230218_185612.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting my box
I want to compare them in size to the original bullock jetcycles for a little laugh

Which size magnets you using? Guessing 2mm x 1mm?

Project I'm doing for my Ultramarine legion.

Veteran squad using (for now at least) Veteran Sergeant Aurelius

The main troops are Mk 3 + bits from the Ultramarine Firstborn upgrade pack.

The Mk3 helmet, torso front, the glaive/power glaive and the shoulder pads

Have to be careful as very easy to slice myself doing this - having to cut the right hands out as I don't need the "cupping" shape to hold the bolter, having to cut arms at the point just under the bit the should pad glues to and/or at the elbow to reposition them

The 2nd special weapon will be another melta gun I think, though wouldn't mind maybe going with a graviton gun

edit: back of the nuncio vox - tried to copy the FW one

P1050660.JPG

P1050661.JPG

P1050665.jpg

Edited by Dark-Storm-01

13 minutes ago, arnesh88 said:

I have several Grundstock Gunhaulers from AoS, it's the same stand as those. They are solid for the gunhaulers, and they are bigger and top-heavier than the scimitar bikes.

Nice, that's a relief. The ball & socket stands are much better than the awful resting/clip style thing they have going for the inceptors. 

9 hours ago, Dark-Storm-01 said:

Which size magnets you using? Guessing 2mm x 1mm?

3mm x 1mm. The square hole the weapon pegs go into is wide enough to accommodate a 3mm without modification. Just need to build a frame inside the bike out of sprue to hold the internal magnet at the right depth.

20230219_112923.jpg

20230219_113749.jpg

20230219_114628.jpg

20230219_114901.jpg

20230219_115702.jpg

Edited by Brother_Angelus

1 hour ago, Brother_Angelus said:

3mm x 1mm. The square hole the weapon pegs go into is wide enough to accommodate a 3mm without modification. Just need to build a frame inside the bike out of sprue to hold the internal magnet at the right depth.

Nice thanks

8 hours ago, No Foes Remain said:

So the Sicaran Venator has disapeared from the FW store, looks like that will be a 'reveal' in the upcoming weeks.

I'm upset that the Ultramarine themed Contemptor is now gone.

Was going to order 1 2 weeks ago but bought other stuff 1st.. Now its no longer available

:cuss:

Edited by Slips
Use the cuss emote in place of self-censoring

On 2/11/2023 at 9:43 AM, No Foes Remain said:

In an attempt to move on from my disapointment, in being unable to get any of the preorders for today, I've been getting back to melding a venerable box dread and a ironclad together based on the old Mk IV dread and taking some inspiration from Brofist's great work here. But I'm looking to build up the legs a bit more similar to what Brofist has done, I was going to use the Redemptor's legs but I didn't realise that was bigger than a bloody Leviathan so I'm now at an impass. I don't think a Sentinel's will work, a bit too spindly looking and I'm not 100% sure on a Titanicus Warhound's legs (with a feet change) so I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas or advice. I'd like to keep it plastic for ease of adjusting if needs be but I'm just at a loss of what to use.

I actually think the Warhound's feet might work fine - they look pretty similar to the Mk IV feet anyhow, and I found a size comparison here.

12 hours ago, No Foes Remain said:

So the Sicaran Venator has disapeared from the FW store, looks like that will be a 'reveal' in the upcoming weeks.

Happy with that, tbh. Lovely looking tank.

On 2/18/2023 at 9:58 PM, Brother_Angelus said:

20230219_112923.jpg

20230219_113749.jpg

20230219_114628.jpg

20230219_114901.jpg

20230219_115702.jpg

Thanks for the info! Looks like an Eagle / Eye symbol has to be used on the front, or is the gap on the top quite easy to fill do you think?

13 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Thanks for the info! Looks like an Eagle / Eye symbol has to be used on the front, or is the gap on the top quite easy to fill do you think?

That's one of my gripes with the kit. It kind of requires one or the other to fill the hole. I'm considering either a modest spike, a skull, or a flap of flayed skin to cover them on my squadrons. Alternatively a cube of sprue offcut filed to profile might work. I just wish the symbols had been smooth on the underside and just straddled the nose.