30k Hobby Chat

Thanks all! Good to know my idea of a "cheaper" Sons of Horus force is reasonable :laugh.:

@darkhorse: You know, I never saw that image so I looked it up and...

Yeah. That's easily like the new Chaos Marines

I think the styling of the Sons of Horus is intended to be the source of the aesthetics of chaos marines and that it is just a stylised progression that was adopted by all Traitor Legions as a whole so entirely plausible. Even little bits like the traditional chaos Anvilus pattern backpacks have been adapted in the lore to justify their evolution. In this case being a prototype backpack developed by the Forgeworld Anvilus in the later stages of the Great Crusade. Anvilus was captured by the Traitors early on in the Horus Heresy and was used to arm them throughout the conflict. Add these to the style of the SoH with all the spikes and hard sharp angles and you basically have proto chaos armour.

I've used the new CSM kit to make some reavers for my SoH army and I think they work very well. I removed some of the more 'chaosy' details, but even if you just swapped the heads and backpacks that would be a good start to making them fit in with the rest of the FW range.

[image snipped]

Oooh, that helps a lot! Thanks!

Also, nice use of the Corpse Grinder Cultist's cleavers for the Chainaxes, I never thought of that. What size brass rod is that?

no problem!

I’m lucky to have Cadmus Tyro (check out his fantastic IH/AL & Blackshield/WE threads) as a good friend and he was kind enough to make the chain axes for me, using the brass rod and corpse grinder weapons.

The rod looks like 2mm diameter 

look forward to seeing your Sons of Horus 

Hey folks, not sure if this link is going to work but I took a video of my WIP Sanguinius (just finished 12 hours of painting feathers). Any feedback would be appreciated! Or just fellow folks that have suffered through those wings, we can form a support group

https://imgur.com/a/ZIuD3Zd

Edited by darkhorse0607

Hey folks, not sure if this link is going to work but I took a video of my WIP Sanguinius (just finished 12 hours of painting feathers). Any feedback would be appreciated! Or just fellow folks that have suffered through those wings, we can form a support group

An artist in pain produces some of the most exquisite works. At times some of their best works. This is likely one if not both. Absolutely top notch.

Looks great! And I know your pain, while I went for a more simple zenithal-priming then a drybrush of white for my Sanguinius, the wings were just painful to paint

KCXBlQh.jpg

4sXGkYM.jpg

Excellent work on Sangunius!

I did lots of work on the Talonmaster - i'm unsure how to do the tabard/loin cloth. I have purple accents on some of my army, but I feel that would be too many hues. Someone suggested a dark leather, but I feel that would be lost - another suggested skin, but I feel that would draw the eyes away from the head, which I want people to gravitate towards. I was feeling a dark grey, especially with the trio of Dark Angel helmets being present might be a good contrast. What do.

j5uC9IW.jpg

I did lots of work on the Talonmaster - i'm unsure how to do the tabard/loin cloth. I have purple accents on some of my army, but I feel that would be too many hues. Someone suggested a dark leather, but I feel that would be lost - another suggested skin, but I feel that would draw the eyes away from the head, which I want people to gravitate towards. I was feeling a dark grey, especially with the trio of Dark Angel helmets being present might be a good contrast. What do.

[image snipped]

Honestly, I feel a skin loincloth wouldn't detract too much from the helmet, especially once the eyes are painted in.

Plus, skin loincloths are very fitting for the VIIIth

Edited by Gederas

[image snipped]

Honestly, I feel a skin loincloth wouldn't detract too much from the helmet, especially once the eyes are painted in.

I’d echo this - perhaps with a muted palette so it’s not too bright so as to draw attention, and perhaps complements the bone and lighter elements without being a focal point?

The darker leather or purple also may work well, and could probably blend in if you really emphasised the face (and perhaps could push highlights yet further if going down that route?).

I think it looks brilliant in any case!

[image snipped]

Go with a desecrated Dark Angels banner

I wrapped up the Night Lord Talonmaster!

inVYxj6.jpg

...and started on a new project again. I mostly realized this to be a hyper fixation, but I loved this recipe I had come up with in my head, so I built this lad. He's using a tortuga bay body, with several components printed, plastic, or other resin kits. 

dyzAayc.jpg

“Arminus Falakos”, a Warsmith who found ire with the Lord of Iron early on after the unification of the Primarch with his Legion. With the Legion still reeling from the proclamation of decimation, Arminus was reluctant to risk the lives of his men wanton, opting to utilize the auxiliary and mortal regiments at his beckons. The Primarch of the fourth, displeased - cast away his Captain, tossing him half way across the expanding Imperium to follow in the footsteps of his brother Primarch and his Legion, the Luna Wolves, being quoted within this record as saying:

“You are no son of mine. You are weak. I should have your head, though the shame will hound you far better than summary execution. Go, chase the glory of the XVIth, perhaps Lupercal may impose a spine into you.”

Arminus and his companies, ended up having thus served alongside the Luna Wolves, later the Sons of Horus for the majority of the Crusade, only reuniting with the rest of the IVth upon the black sands of Istvaan, so quotes this record. By then, the tactics of Arminus had begun to resemble the XVIth’s “spear tip”  formations, lighting attacks at speed.

Just realised I've not dipped into this thread for a while, great work folks!

So with no box news I've just grabbed 20 MkIV Assault Marines, because why not?

Edit: Make that 25 MkIV Assault Marines.

Which means I can have a full blob (in extreme games) with Apothecary and a character or two. Shame the SW Priests can't take Jump Packs although a Speaker of the Dead would probably be too much.

Edited by Hfran Morkai