30k Hobby Chat

Built this the other day; didnt dry fit the lascannon cables before slapping the arms on so uhhhhh those wont be going on.

IMG_5098.jpg

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5095.jpg

IMG_5096.jpg

IMG_5094.jpg

He'll get painted at a 'yes' point in the totally not too distant future, promise.

@dicebod: Great Phoenix terminators - I especially love the gold, the gems and the bases. Do the pinkish panels have any significance?

Meanwhile I am working on a Dark Angel. What do you all think about the red helmet stripe? Too much?

med_gallery_93054_15563_331706.jpegmed_gallery_93054_15563_189503.jpeg

So far I only have a handful of Mk IV with the red stripe just coming down from the vent to the brow, not going all the way over the top. If I like how this guy turns out, I have a few spare Mk III and might make a squad of 5 - perhaps a tactical support squad. The combi-plasma is magnetised so I can give him an alternative weapon if I like. The quarter-pattern shoulder heraldry is a nod to my Fallen in the background. Maybe that is his future, maybe not.

I figured given Joe's been posting homebrew rules stuff here I'd be okay to post this rather than in my kinda quiet design threads:

Each month I release a free, fully illustrated rules PDF for a 30k unit, and this month it's an entirely new class of dreadnought for the Silent Sisterhood:

(you can find a full PDF of the rules & previous designs here  )

1.png?token-time=1652745600&token-hash=8

1.png?token-time=1652745600&token-hash=K

@dicebod: Great Phoenix terminators - I especially love the gold, the gems and the bases. Do the pinkish panels have any significance?

Not really! I like to paint some armor panels different colors to break up the minis - I'm sure the assorted red/silver panels have some significance to these individual warriors, I just like the variety.

Great Dark Angels by the way!

Meanwhile I am working on a Dark Angel. What do you all think about the red helmet stripe? Too much?

I really like the red stripe! I think my eye is just drawn slightly by the shoulder pad and the quartering: I'd forgotten that there's a need for it to be 'wider' at the base to account for the trim's positioning. I'm not suggesting that's something you can fix - or indeed would even want to change, but I wonder whether it ties in really nicely - especially from certain angles? I think it complements it really well - I suppose you could always try differing positions of stripe if you wanted variety, or to differentiate between squads?

I really like the red stripe! I think my eye is just drawn slightly by the shoulder pad and the quartering: I'd forgotten that there's a need for it to be 'wider' at the base to account for the trim's positioning. I'm not suggesting that's something you can fix - or indeed would even want to change, but I wonder whether it ties in really nicely - especially from certain angles? I think it complements it really well - I suppose you could always try differing positions of stripe if you wanted variety, or to differentiate between squads?

Thanks!

My idea is that the red helmet stripe will be army-wide (well, that “army” will probably be just 2 squads and a character), but the right shoulder will be individual heraldry. So the quarters pattern would be just for this guy (and the magnet is at the shoulder, so only if this guy keeps his combi-plasma, maybe he’s the sergeant. I wanted to keep the shoulder simple because it’s hard to do checkers, but also because I will put a decal on top in white: a skull, a gothic 1 or maybe a tactical arrow, so that will reduce the red slightly, but won’t change the funny proportions of the “quarters”.

Edited by LameBeard

Lovely work, everyone, the Night Lords, Iron Warriors and Dark Angels on this page are all ace!

I've completed 2 3d-printed Rapiers for my Heresy Imperial Fists.

The rapiers themselves are 100% printed, the crew are a mix of printed parts and bits from the bits box.  Definitely came up against the limitations of FDM printing with the crew parts, had to have a few goes to get some of them acceptable.

1140437_sm-30k%2C%20Imperial%20Fists%2C%
1140436_sm-30k%2C%20Imperial%20Fists%2C%

Anyone seen the new plastic spartan in person? I imagine while it’ll be largely similar to the resin spartan I’m sure it will have some minor detail difference because it is harder to achieve fine detail in plastic compared to resin.

Looking good!

Just won a FW Ironclad, Seismic Hammer and Power Claw (which admittedly needs some fingers but may use some spares from one of my Contemptors or plasticard some up).

Such a cool sculpt. Now need to try and find a Flamestorm Cannon, Chainfist (?) and the Siege Drill.