30k Hobby Chat

What kits / bits have good heavy and special weapons for MKVI that might be a good idea to get for conversion work with the up coming release?

I have a couple spare Mk IV heavy bolters and a couple spare Mk III heavy bolters (plastic underslung) - I could be persuaded to donate these to a worthy cause if you're in the UK. PM me if interested.

What kits / bits have good heavy and special weapons for MKVI that might be a good idea to get for conversion work with the up coming release?

I have a couple spare Mk IV heavy bolters and a couple spare Mk III heavy bolters (plastic underslung) - I could be persuaded to donate these to a worthy cause if you're in the UK. PM me if interested.

I'm in the USA, but thank you for the offer!

I'm in the USA, but thank you for the offer!

I didn’t mean to sound so parochial! I just meant posting overseas is probably a bit more hassle than it’s worth… anyway, please remember to post your conversions here, i look forward to seeing them!

So I haven’t seen much of the Heresy 2.0 yet, but from the stat line, in Heresy 1.0 I think Gal Vorbak could be a peer comparison? Do you really want them to be better than them? I suggest a small toning down and an addition of a special rule like “Damned” which acts as a disadvantage. There are lots of good ideas here, I just think ‘less is more’ could help.

Edit: sorry I just assumed you wanted comments or criticism, but I see you didn’t explicitly ask - feel free to ignore my reaction!

Edited by LameBeard

So I haven’t seen much of the Heresy 2.0 yet, but from the stat line, in Heresy 1.0 I think Gal Vorbak could be a peer comparison? Do you really want them to be better than them? I suggest a small toning down and an addition of a special rule like “Damned” which acts as a disadvantage. There are lots of good ideas here, I just think ‘less is more’ could help.

Edit: sorry I just assumed you wanted comments or criticism, but I see you didn’t explicitly ask - feel free to ignore my reaction!

Feedback is appreciated. \o

I've been tweaking them for the last few days to be a bit weaker. Should have a draft of the page to share again by the end of the week.

Well, I finally painted a Night Lord after 4 years lol

1138757-.jpg

1138754-.jpg1138755-.jpg1138756-.jpg

I've been wanting to repaint my Night Lords for a long time, and I finally landed on a scheme that clicked. This is basically the same style that kizzdougs famously does so well, just...much worse on the pre-shade placement lol. It was also the first contekar I've painted, which is a little sad since they came out a year and a half ago. The models are sweet, just dripping in that Night Lord goodness. Just wish they didn't have split ranged weapons lol.

@joe Might want to add a + next to the strength value of the claws lol.

I noticed in the earlier version of your rules you had the wolfen at M9 and reduced it down. If you're worried about their base movement speed, you could always give them fleet (1) to give them a little extra on the run and charge. Maybe even drop the movement to 7 and give them fleet (2)? I don't remember the rules for 3rd Ed wulfen top well, but I think normal movement with a bonus when going all out is thematic.

@pearson73 and corswain thanks guys. I really like the hue, I just have to replicate it properly. Would help if I cleaned my airbrush to use my .15mm needle properly lol.

Why would the claws be S 5+1=6? Seems unnecessary as does the Hammer of Wrath - the baseline stats are doing plenty of work. Not sure the 230 for 5, +25 for extra is quite the right balance any more, but I guess playtesting will give a good idea on points.

Why would the claws be STR 1?

Like the fenrisian axe is str+1 ap-, reaping blow already, and Joe has them equipped with those too, so maybe they were meant to be STR 5 ap 4, reaping blow with the claws to give some options. But either way, they need weight of high strength attacks if they're not getting any armour piercing or rerolls. One of those 25 point wulfen averages 1 wound through power armour out of their 6 attacks on the charge with the axe profile. That's really low, especially considering they only have a 4+ save and t4.

Why would the claws be STR 1?

I see I was not clear. I’m not suggesting they would be. I assumed you were correct that Joe intended +1, and I’m trying to move the debate forward, suggesting to Joe that is still a little over the top in terms of reflecting the lore.

On your second point about options and ‘bite’, I can see what you mean. Maybe taking out reaping blow (isn’t this the one Deathguard get on the powersycthe?) for something else … not sure what yet without adding complexity …

Ah gotcha.

The issue seems to be representing their savage and ferocious nature without just using ap. Unfortunately, a lot of defensive stats got ratcheted up, so you need more offensive stats now to compensate (like chainswords getting shred). Rage, reaping blow, shred, rampage, and breaching are the tools to use without juicing the base stats.

I think the claws should stay at STR 5 and either gain breaching 5 or rending 6. That would give some difference between the two weapons while giving a bit of soft ap piercing. The night lords glaives are STR+2 ap 3, shred, breaching 6 as a comparison.

I definitely forgot wolves can run and charge, so definitely don't give these guys fleet like I initially suggested.

first of my converted iron hands nullificators is finished minus basing 

IMG_20220424_0157083972.jpg

That's ingenious and really well done, I think I need to give it a go now 

Edit: Where is the maul from? I don't recognise it 

Edited by Harrowmaster

Finished up the Nullificator squad and my final Iron Hands Boxnought:

nullificator_sergeant.jpgNullificator_2.jpgNullificator_1.jpgNullificator_3.jpgNullificator_4.jpgveneratii_1.jpgveneratii_3.jpgveneratii_2.jpg

first of my converted iron hands nullificators is finished minus basing 

IMG_20220424_0157083972.jpg

That's ingenious and really well done, I think I need to give it a go now 

Edit: Where is the maul from? I don't recognise it 

Thanks! The mauls use the GK terminator halberd hafts with the magna-grapples from the blood angels' dreadnought attached as the head with a bit of sprue filling in the hole at the top