30k Hobby Chat

Hi all!

Wanted to share a WiP pic of my Kyr Vhalen model:

gallery_60230_9843_886045.jpg

Still trying to fugure out how to make his cowl.

I'm planning on him carrying his (damaged) helmet in his left hand, maybe as a makeshift shield, and his paragon blade in his right, which will be inspired greatly by the ww1 era trench weapons.

On another note, not sure if this deserves a thred of it's own or not, what are the visual cues, sans colours, of each legion?

What I mean is, if you see a legionnaire with batwings and flayed flesh on, you'll immediately think "Aha, Night Lord!".

But do the Night Lords have any other visual signifiers?

And what about the other legions? Do Iron Warriors only got the Mk3 style helmets and hazard stripes?

Hi all!

Wanted to share a WiP pic of my Kyr Vhalen model:

[ ... snip ...]

That is entirely awesome.    I dig the way you work this.   There's a lot going on in that photo.  The setup, the underlying construction.

All marvelous!   A lot of Zeal there...

I have a huge list of really dumb questions ---

1. Where does one obtain reference material to suggest look and feel for how the "30K Figures" should look like?    Is it a slog through this site or just a Google effort?  What is the keyword to look for "30K" or is there a more refining term?
  2. Is it customary to knife to the body -- and re-pose legs angle posture (the cut being at the pelvis and perhaps some light heat gun to coax a new angle)
  3. If for instance one started making 30K figures (models) -- is this in pursuant to a particular HH novel re-enactment?  Or is there actual Codex for this phase of history in Warhammer?
  4. Is there a good summary-like reference I can be pointed to?  I can do my own homework, I just don't have the knowledge of HH or 30K or anything that would seem fundamental going in.

Thanks.

-sibomots

ps. The motivation is to start building things that are off the beaten track.  I dig the SKU# based models.  I also love fabricating out of the imagination.  30K seems like the best of both worlds...  True?

1. I've been slogging through what little material there is for this character in particular, namely HH3:Extermination, as well as what few models people have already made of him. I also took note of his rule, which I interpreted as him being more of a defensive character, which led to his posing. Other than that I've the web for Iron Warriors images from the horus heresy era, mostly from the collected visions book.

2. I usually chop the legs and arms apart if I feel the need to, normally at the joints. A sharp knife and patience is your best friend here. I wouldn't use a heat gun since I don't know how much the resin can take before it melts.

3. Aye, the Horus Heresy black and red books. I believe there is a list somewhere in this part of the forum.

4. Do you mean backgroundswise or ruleswise? There are some good wikis around that a google search would produce for you backgroundwise.

The ps. part: I think I would agree, there are a lot of characters at least where there are at most a close-up artwork or a few lines of background story, so it is mostly up to your imagination how the character would look finished.

the colourshift paints do *not* photograph well, especially at this distance but my Iron Hands Pride of The Legion force is finally done, took them out for their first game a few weeks ago

IMG_20220205_170803103_HDR.jpg

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

the colourshift paints do *not* photograph well, especially at this distance but my Iron Hands Pride of The Legion force is finally done, took them out for their first game a few weeks ago

Looking great, how are the colour shift paints in person, any good? Was looking at the Vallejo ones but wasn't sure if they came out smooth and not too sparkly etc.

Looking great, how are the colour shift paints in person, any good? Was looking at the Vallejo ones but wasn't sure if they came out smooth and not too sparkly etc.

Really depends how you use them, takes a bit of experimentation to get what you want out of them - most of the steps for this scheme involve getting the main colour to a result I'm happy with via successive glazes and shades, with the other colours being pretty simple in comparison. The paint in question is Turbodork's 'Forrest Flux', here's a better look at what my end result actually looks like:

IMG_20210921_0130477014.jpg

It does specify to use it over a (gloss) black primer but varying this can produce very different results - this is actually over a leadbelcher primer with 2 coats of nuln oil, and then druchii violet and alternating nuln oil and nuln oil gloss glazes after it's applied - whether it has a gloss or matte finish massively effects how it looks, so I'd always advise a gloss varnish over it at the end.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

[ snip .. snip .. snip .. ]

I gotta ask a super dumb question -- where did you get the models for those figures?   I've been looking for them and I guess I'm just not good at the search.  I take it they are not currently retail available?

I'm very interested in them.   

By the way, many kudos on your painting and building.  Very sublime coloring and shade.  I "see" it.  It's very good.  I will try your technique on some of my models, I think it will work out brilliantly.

Keep up the great work.

[ snip .. snip .. snip .. ]

I gotta ask a super dumb question -- where did you get the models for those figures?   I've been looking for them and I guess I'm just not good at the search.  I take it they are not currently retail available?

I'm very interested in them.   

By the way, many kudos on your painting and building.  Very sublime coloring and shade.  I "see" it.  It's very good.  I will try your technique on some of my models, I think it will work out brilliantly.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks! They're actually all currently available GW plastics - 2 (heavily converted) blood angels dreadnoughts, a (reposed) plastic contemptor, a set of the plastic cataphractii and the plastic tartaros, and the plastic cataphractii praetor that came with betrayal at calth. I do tend to do quite a bit of reposing/ converting/ kitbashing which might be throwing you off - especially because here I ended up cutting cog-tooth patterns into most of the trim and even melting chainmail links into all the cloth using a needle heated in a candle flame.

I actually just bagged a cheap set of grey knight terminators off ebay to try and convert into some nullificators, so hopefully there'll be more termies to add soon.

Let me know how you get on with the scheme!

Those look amazing! And think the Iron Hands are the ideal candidates for such a paint, it works really well. 

I agree the colour shift paints are great. Not that complicated to use either, I've used them for metallics on plastic kits of bikes/cars and its just a simple job of black undercoat and then the colour shift airbrush over the top. Successive coats will give more of a comprehensive effect (I found 3-4 was ideal, but was going for a very strong effect). 

Paints I used were from Green Stuff World but understand other brands are available. 

sarabando: I'd go mainly yellow, with red on maybe the right arm or shoulder pad. Since old fluff detaioed Dorn disliking camouflage for hiding his proud legion colours, I'd doubt he'd enjoy seeing his sons covering up more of their plate than necessary.

working on a forgelord for my IF and im not sure what i should do colours wise, would they still be mostly yellow or were they in red by the SOT?

I think the Legions only used small amounts of Red, as I think "all red with one shoulder pad different" was a Codex Astartes thing?

Really though, it's up to you, whatever you feel looks best.

Edited by Gederas

Pre-ordered Rann and Zephon today - very excited to do some red and yellow. Both are outside my usual colour pallette.

Rann is going to get a head-swap for a helmet and that glorious moustachioed melon might be used on a Dorn model down the track. If it scales ok.

Been a decent week for Heresy.

I grabbed a BNIB Magnus for £70 (funnily enough getting him before my own Primarch, Russ) which I would be reluctant to pay full price from FW for considering I've no intention on playing him but making up the duel diorama.

Just ordered two Rann.

And my Thunderhawk Transporter is pretty much good to ship.

Pre-ordered Rann and Zephon today - very excited to do some red and yellow. Both are outside my usual colour pallette.

Rann is going to get a head-swap for a helmet and that glorious moustachioed melon might be used on a Dorn model down the track. If it scales ok.

I think Rann has a helmet option

been converting up some nullificators for my Iron Hands, going with the idea that rather than cataphractii with more occult style hexagrammatic wards, they're using prototype "Aegis" armour distributed by Malcador to loyalist enclaves during the Heresy - I'm gonna be making custom rules & art for Aegis pattern TDA that'll launch via my Patreon, current plan is to have it be an option for HQs/ Command Squads/ Nullificators

IMG_20220221_181330531_HDR2.jpg