30k Hobby Chat

Are Preators and other officers on 40mm bases in the new box; should I base my kitbashed preators on 40mm bases?

I really hope 40mm isn’t compulsory for characters in 2.0. My dudes won’t get down some of my Zone Mortalis corridors on that kind of base.

I think some are on 32mm, some are 40mm? It's weird.

The ones in the upcoming box are on 40mm bases for instance

Are Preators and other officers on 40mm bases in the new box; should I base my kitbashed preators on 40mm bases?

I really hope 40mm isn’t compulsory for characters in 2.0. My dudes won’t get down some of my Zone Mortalis corridors on that kind of base.

Fafnir Rann comes with a 32mm base. Dominion Zephon comes with a 40mm base. No idea why the difference. 

Fafnir Rann comes with a 32mm base. Dominion Zephon comes with a 40mm base. No idea why the difference. 

No Jump pack vs Jump pack is the only difference.

For a number of years now, GW's been open that their criterion is "pick a base size that makes the model look good". And if necessary, invent a new base size!

Logic for gaming purposes doesn't really enter into it, which is why tournaments had to create their own basing size rules to have some sort of consistency. I think the only game that does have an official base size list is Age of Sigmar, and even then it's explicitly only a suggestion, not mandatory.

I think Daemons of the Ruinstorm had recommended base sizes as well, so not totally unique to Age of Sigmar. In that case though, there was more of an open season on what models you might use, so they need some degree of reference.

No Jump pack vs Jump pack is the only difference.

The Preators are huge and take up a bigger footprint. Zephon is based on 40mm not for his footprint but for his wobble potential same as the Master of Possesion, put them on a 32 and they'll fall over all the time. There is a method to the madness. Personally I think all Character models should be on 40mm just to protect them better from the rigors of gaming if anything.

Here’s the sergeant for my first Sagyar Mazan Breacher squad. Just done the oil washes so now in the process of re-applying layers. Happy with how it’s going so far, just another 19 to go after for this particular squad :D also clearly need to stop chewing my nails…

TttclTu.jpeg

Edited by TheFirstKnight

Here’s the sergeant for my first Sagyar Mazan Breacher squad. Just done the oil washes so now in the process of re-applying layers. Happy with how it’s going so far, just another 19 to go after for this particular squad :biggrin.:

Great stuff!  I really like how you got the grimey black all over the shield, especially on the brass - was that the use of oil washes or something different?

Here’s the sergeant for my first Sagyar Mazan Breacher squad. Just done the oil washes so now in the process of re-applying layers. Happy with how it’s going so far, just another 19 to go after for this particular squad :D

Great stuff!  I really like how you got the grimey black all over the shield, especially on the brass - was that the use of oil washes or something different?

Aww that’s very kind of you to say so! :) it is indeed an oil wash, I use AK Interactive Sand & Desert Camoflauge Panel Liner.

Ooh I have not looked into that product from AK, that's a great find, thank you! :) It's always great to see how people approach Brass on their models, there are so many great ways to give it differently aged looks, hopefully I will get a chance to try this one.

AK interactive makes great stuff.

fighting the urge to rebase my entire Imperial fists and Sons of Horus armies

From 25mm to 32 and 40mm?

IfMYIst.jpg

from this basic mar base to something better

Maybe get a black pigment and a rust set with light, medium, and dark rust pigments and really dress up the colors on those to make them more varied? Your bases look cool, just mono chromatic. Vallejo makes a rust set that can add a lot of variety while still keeping the bars feel? Nice looking models, by the by.

That kind of change puts hobbyists into a spiral of dispair, and I think is quite cruel given how much effort a lot of people put into bases. Although, I guess you could just ignore it!

That kind of change puts hobbyists into a spiral of dispair, and I think is quite cruel given how much effort a lot of people put into bases. Although, I guess you could just ignore it!

Interesting comments on the size of base especially given the ZM considerations!  I have been wondering how to base my designs for a new legion and I think this is a valid point.  I knew I wanted a reason to get more 40mm Sector Mechanicus bases for my Deathwatch, but didn't know what to do with all the 32mm bases, now I know they will be very handy for this (leaving me with plenty of spare 40mm's).  The question is, how to make the pop without altering the grimdark levels.

My White Scars Sagyar Mazan Breacher Sergeant is now complete! (sans base). Happy with this chappy, had to add some more black to the legs after I'd oil washed just to break up the monotony of the white. Now halfway through building the other 19 chaps.

O7Qrk9d.jpeg

6fyE223.jpeg

N2yRHdU.jpeg

WR9LUG5.jpeg

P9QS8yj.jpeg

Love the colour scheme on that guy TheFirstKnight and the weathering, he looks like he has been in a few scraps! Nice work on the eye lenses too

Thanks Pacific ☺️ Yeah my fluff is that my army is a mostly Terran Veteran company who had a small cadre of Chogorians out in command. About 3 years post-Jaghatai leading the legion, they were one of (it not) the first forces sent out into the void for some unknown as of yet transgression. So I won’t have *too* much in the way of Chogorian markings hence him looking a little more plain. I might scatter a few Chogorian glyphs here and there and then odd fancy Scars helmet alongside one or two Scars specific dreadnoughts but that’s it.

My White Scars Sagyar Mazan Breacher Sergeant is now complete! (sans base). Happy with this chappy, had to add some more black to the legs after I'd oil washed just to break up the monotony of the white. Now halfway through building the other 19 chaps.

I love these shots! I'll confess they look close enough to my Death Guard to make me happy too :ph34r.: :wink:.

Can't wait to see the rest of them completed either! 

fighting the urge to rebase my entire Imperial fists and Sons of Horus armies

I regularly get this urge... I even started doing it to my Death Guard, but I'm not sure if I'll go through with it. I was going to go from urban to 'Creeping Death' wasteland... but I might just leave it for now! 

(Ask me again soon and we'll see :laugh.:)