30k Hobby Chat

Back in the early days, when the Legion Destroyer squad models had just been released, I decided to make a preator. He battled his way across the galaxy but I never got past basecoating him.

Now, it was time to finally paint him...and put him on a 40mm base while I was at it...why not? :)

gallery_61265_13297_87781.jpg

Guys, one question!

I´m tending to th VII. Legion and my favorite is a Stone Gauntlet-themed force. But I was saw, that the the Upgrade-Pack of the Phalanx Warders neither have Legs nor right arms for the axes. Need I MKIV Marines (Despoilers?) for the Warders or can I use the new MKVI Marines or the beautiful MKIII armor?

You wouldn't be able to use the new Mk6 for it as they aren't compatable, you would have to use either the plastic mk4 or mk4 however FW does sell the Warders as a bundle with the resin Mk4 dispoiler squad.

Thanks, friend!

Same procedure by the Templar Bretheren who wear MKIII, right?

Yep, FW sell them in a bundle with the Mk3 dispoiler squad as well. But again due to how GW have made the new Mk6 (like how the Primaris and CSM sprues are laid out rather than the previous style) the torsos won't work with them but the rest would unless you want to get cutting the Mk6 torsos of the legs.

Edited by No Foes Remain

Yep, FW sell them in a bundle with the Mk3 dispoiler squad as well. But again due to how GW have made the new Mk6 (like how the Primaris and CSM sprues are laid out rather than the previous style) the torsos won't work with them but the rest would unless you want to get cutting the Mk6 torsos of the legs.

This is also of interest to me, as I’m working on some Imperial Fists right now! So, agreed you’d need Mark III (ideally for Templar Brethren) or Mark IV (ideally for Phalanx Warders), but don’t these kits not come with arms for the axes/swords? The plastic kits aren’t going to come with many close combat weapon arms, right? And I know you can get the bundle deals (when they’re not out of stock) but I didn’t think you saved any money that way? Seems an awfully wasteful way of going about it, too!

Talking of Emperor's Children - what do people recommend for "bits" and adornments to make converting marines/vehicles look more EC? (In comparison for example with World Eaters you can add chains and plenty of gore!)

I haven’t actually tried this in anger yet, but I’ve been saving quite a few of the blood Angel plastic bits (sanguinary guard/death company) to add some bling to Emperor’s Children. There are a fair few wings, laurels and bits of filigree that I think can be repurposed. Some of the heads are a bit more “handsome” too.

Apart from that, there might also be a few bits on the Sternguard sprue that have the eagle on that would not suit most legions but might suit Emperor’s Children.

Talking of Emperor's Children - what do people recommend for "bits" and adornments to make converting marines/vehicles look more EC? (In comparison for example with World Eaters you can add chains and plenty of gore!)

I haven’t actually tried this in anger yet, but I’ve been saving quite a few of the blood Angel plastic bits (sanguinary guard/death company) to add some bling to Emperor’s Children. There are a fair few wings, laurels and bits of filigree that I think can be repurposed. Some of the heads are a bit more “handsome” too.

Apart from that, there might also be a few bits on the Sternguard sprue that have the eagle on that would not suit most legions but might suit Emperor’s Children.

Good shout! I was looking at the SanGuard kit recently but didn't think about the Sternguard one. I just want to bit a few ornate bits for Praetors, Sergeants etc so that kit may do nicely :) I suppose the key is finding what is HH appropriate from an armour perspective! 

I think the legs and head are on the combi-grav ultramarine / not sure where the torso is, don’t think it’s that heavy flamer one.

There are 6 torso fronts in the box. See torso on the salamander with storm bolter?

Edited by LameBeard

I think the legs and head are on the combi-grav ultramarine / not sure where the torso is, don’t think it’s that heavy flamer one.

There are 6 torso fronts in the box. See torso on the salamander with storm bolter?

I can't seem to find a Salamander with storm bolter on the Sternguard pics? (on the GW site)

http://www.westernvalleymodels.co.uk/ekmps/shops/western10/images/games-workshop-warhammer-40000-40k-space-marine-sternguard-veteran-squad-48-19-%5B5%5D-3386-p.jpg

And now Mk vi is more prevalent you’ll get some good stuff for that too. Maybe I’ll buy another Sternguard set!

Edited by LameBeard

http://www.westernvalleymodels.co.uk/ekmps/shops/western10/images/games-workshop-warhammer-40000-40k-space-marine-sternguard-veteran-squad-48-19-%5B5%5D-3386-p.jpg

And now Mk vi is more prevalent you’ll get some good stuff for that too. Maybe I’ll buy another Sternguard set!

You've certainly convinced me! Those photos weren't on the Sternguard page on the GW site for me but makes sense now haha

Looking on Google, I think that's the old metal kit? 

Edited by NinjaBadger7

NinjaBadger7 - The two Sternguard Salamanders are definitely the plastic kit, unless they made duplicates in metal.

Thanks for confirming! Yeah looking at the plastic sprues I can see the how it would be the Salamander photos, some of the old metal sculpts were similar, so I was just confusing myself!