30k Hobby Chat

Quick question. Would it be appropriate to use the numeral transfers from the 40k kit to identify squads on raven guard? I don't think it would be Canon but for game purposes it could help distinguish separate units in combat. Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Quick question. Would it be appropriate to use the numeral transfers from the 40k kit to identify squads on raven guard? I don't think it would be Canon but for game purposes it could help distinguish separate units in combat. Thoughts?

See absolutely no reason why you couldn't. The Heresy is a big place so you get do just about anything you like and at the end of the day it's your hobby. I wouldn't think twice about seeing that on the tabletop.

I do lots of different things to mark squads - kneepads, backpack vents or details.

So I built the Contemptor. I was cautious with magnet polarity of course, checking and double checking as I went along. Everything was magnetised fine.

Then it came to gluing the elbow to the arm. Of course I completely forgot about polarity and only realised when testing the fist resulted in it being flung literally across the room.

Don't be a dumb-dumb like me.

I've been playing with the Mk 6 guys and they work really well with the Mk 4 bits. For my Word Bearers I've cut the Mk6 torso off at the waist on the front and back leaving just the legs, added the butt plate and then just stuck the top half of the Mk 4 with the Mk 6 backpack straight on with no issues. I just need to add the knee pads now with some GS and job done. Even the chainblades fit really well.

P1010599.JPG.6db336f75d7fb313bd226ee0617a878d.JPGP1010602.JPG.da8223a5ea8e982187165e484c8cd4a8.JPG

5 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

There are lots of variations between chapters and companies, units and even individuals that could deviate from the norm.

Another visual trick if you don't want to go that route is to distinguish them with one unit has a skull on their bases while the second doesn't.

6 minutes ago, Doghouse said:

There are lots of variations between chapters and companies, units and even individuals that could deviate from the norm.

Another visual trick if you don't want to go that route is to distinguish them with one unit has a skull on their bases while the second doesn't.

Thanks guys. I have the Raven Guard 40k transfers with the numerals, I have multiple of them so I was thinking a quick 1-2-etc transfer would take 2 seconds to apply, when I'm applying other transfers. I just can't find anywhere Canon that uses thst numeral system in 30k. I want to be as accurate as can be. But also I'm curious if it's something that is picked up post heresy or was used during the crusade etc.

I like the idea of skulls on bases. I do fancy bases with debris and the like though, so sometimes fitting skulls is more difficult on troop bases.

On 5/17/2022 at 1:44 AM, OttoVonAwesome said:

Iv'e been doing the exact same thing, alot of painstaking measurements based off zephon and rann and a crazy amount of test prints trying to get it all dead on. If it helps I found they are between 31-32mm from foot to top of the neck rim depending on posing, with the shoulder pads being about 6% larger as well wich threw me a bit, Still working on the smaller hands and heads as the new style of the mk 6 helmet I think has alot to do with how small they are. Looking forward to seeing some paint on your guys.

This seems like an interetsing idea. Where did you get the files and what increase did you give them?

While I would love to buy the MkIII marines that I need, it seems I cant get them for love nor money right now so I may bight the bullet and just 3d print the ones I need

Been having a blast working through the AoD box and basically restarting my NL, since my old models weren't painted or modelled all too well, so it's been a good opportunity to try again now.

Attempting to give every model at least a bit of legion unique detail, even if a lot of it is modified press molds, though given how much I'm reusing the same bones might have to see about finding someone to print off some small skeletons for me :P also been trying my hand at generally improving my gs for flayed flesh and eventually cloaks - quite happy with how the skin on the contemptors leg came out, but I'll be looking at trying to do it thinner in future. Just need to pick up some legion and spiked pads and helms to replace the stock ones on the terrors, and it'll be a solid start methinks!

IMG_20220628_211234__01__01.jpg

IMG_20220628_211207__01__01.jpg

IMG_20220628_211255__01__01.jpg

IMG_20220628_211302__01__01.jpg

IMG_20220628_211326__01__01.jpg

@Aeternus your press mold stuff looks great!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bones unless you paint them all exactly the same; do some old and discolored, some freshly ripped out with residual blood on them, and some just plain bone colour. 

I know what you mean about the flayed skin, I tried doing some for the praetor, but the attempts were far worse than my original ones from 7 years ago. Iirc I followed August brass' instructions and mixed some miliput into the greenstuff to give it some rigidity. 

Its a little wild how much hobby supplies the night lords can chew through. I've basically exhausted my dark eldar and kroot bits, and I have 0 press mold skills to speak of. Going to have to make the most of the chain and greenstuff until I can source some more. 

During the forum downtime I've been busy, inspired by the new releases I've been tinkering away to see what I can put together for a small Sons of Horus force. I made and painted 15 of these guys before release of the new boxset, so it was a relief to see they scale nicely alongside the new mkvi. Most of them have been cut above the belt and a spacer added to give a bit of height there, and mkiv legs have been cut and spaced out in the thighs too.

I don't want to clog up this thread with a million photos so I think I'll start a new thread in the WIP forum tomorrow.

20220628_223237.thumb.jpg.c153f3ca52f75723211cec2544ed7aea.jpg20220628_223620.thumb.jpg.b78a24d5bca6eda2e63f9a29f9c3585e.jpg

@SkimaskMohawk Thank you very much :biggrin: Happy to see a fellow legionnaire approve!

Aye as you say some variety in the painting of the bones should help a bit, but at the end of the day there's another 30 marines to go and I've only got 4 different styles of bones I'm using rn. Given how heinously expensive the few packs of mixed 28mm bones I've found are, picking those up aren't an option but I'll corner someone local with a printer eventually :tongue:

I've recently been a convert to the mix of milliput and gs (hence the variable green colours), it feels like it gives you a bit more flexibility even when its rigid imo, or at least compared to just milliput, so I've been happy with it for stuff like adapting the contekar symbols to cataphractii shoulders, but I'm still unsure on the flayed flesh. Still, at least we've both got plenty of opportunity to keep working at it :biggrin:

But boy do I know what you mean on going through other generic accessories. Have wiped through most of my DE stuff already so trying to save what remains for characters or vehicles now, but god their stuff is so useful. Just wish there wasn't so little of it :confused: I'd defo recommend picking up a pack of Instant Mold stuff, works pretty damn well and isn't hard to get used to. What stuff do the kroot sprues have that's useful? Not too familiar with them but know a couple of tau players so might see if they have any leftovers.

Edited by Aeternus

1 minute ago, Aeternus said:

@SkimaskMohawk Thank you very much :D Happy to see a fellow legionnaire approve!

Aye as you say some variety in the painting of the bones should help a bit, but at the end of the day there's another 30 marines to go and I've only got 4 different styles of bones I'm using rn. Given how heinously expensive the few packs of mixed 28mm bones I've found are, picking those up aren't an option but I'll corner someone local with a printer eventually :P

I've recently been a convert to the mix of milliput and gs (hence the variable green colours), it feels like it gives you a bit more malleability even when its set so I've been happy with it for stuff like adapting the contekar symbols to cataphractii shoulders, but I'm still unsure on the flayed flesh. Still, at least we've both got plenty of opportunity to keep working at it :D

But boy do I know what you mean on going through other generic accessories. Have wiped through most of my DE stuff already so trying to save what remains for characters or vehicles now, but god their stuff is so useful. Just wish there wasn't so little of it :/ I'd defo recommend picking up a pack of Instant Mold stuff, works pretty damn well and isn't hard to get used to. What stuff do the kroot sprues have that's useful? Not too familiar with them but know a couple of tau players so might see if they have any leftovers.

The kroot have some bags with a bone and knives, a whole stack of knives and a hook, and then the actual good stuff; what looks like a rack of ribs, what looks like a thigh with the bone sticking out, and some sort of fabric with some more bones. I used the thigh one on the vigilator 

PXL_20220612_004731748~2.jpg

23 minutes ago, Aeternus said:

@SkimaskMohawk oooh, yeah those look like they'd do very nicely, certainly works well on the vigilator! I'll see about finding some then. Still adore that old gold you've got going on, complements the NL blue really well

Some of the kroot stuff is a little clunky to attach to some of the marks of marines so you might need a little elbow grease. 

And thanks again about the gold; just take any recipe kizzdougs has on his instagram and it'll be a great one lol.

3 hours ago, Corswain said:

Super happy with how my Iron Warriors Praetor turned out. He came together almost exactly how I had envisioned so that's really satisfying. Gotta get some paint on him now. received_802006807850165.thumb.jpeg.2b27087ff9b189f35a6d32dd83cea54b.jpeg

Really nice work there. 
I look forward to him falling before the walls of Terra :D