30k Hobby Chat

On 7/5/2022 at 2:25 PM, Mandragola said:

My shotgun recon squad is now built. The deathwatch shotguns are a bit massive but at least you’ll be able to see who’s who. 

41C5B5D3-0455-4B5D-998E-C6D60880C925.thumb.jpeg.da9c4761a83c0b6ae7db56c011e27648.jpeg

Theya are not massive - they are just right! Might have to extend my recon shotgun squad to include some Mk VI. Can't wait to see these painted.

I'm looking to create my own Primus Medicae in Cataphractii armor. I got the Cataphractii Praetor and Chaplain bundle to use the Praetor as a starting point, but I'm unsure how I should go about getting a Narthecium to add onto him and how to kit him out in a way that would look decent. Was hoping people here would have some suggestions.

1 hour ago, WolfLogic said:

I'm looking to create my own Primus Medicae in Cataphractii armor. I got the Cataphractii Praetor and Chaplain bundle to use the Praetor as a starting point, but I'm unsure how I should go about getting a Narthecium to add onto him and how to kit him out in a way that would look decent. Was hoping people here would have some suggestions.

Grey knight bits should work with minimal effort. The TDA Apothecary add on bits are about $9~$10 it would be easier to cut up. But you do also have the option of the Deathwing terminator Apothecary but that's a lot more work.

Edit: looked up recent ebay prices and forgot about the Dark Angel Terminator bits.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Grey knight narthecium is what I used for mine (it slots in under the left pad with little effort): 

153010784_20220714_1225411.thumb.jpg.d2e4aa6c77d66733371c7618b25a94e8.jpg

16 minutes ago, Harrowmaster said:

Grey knight narthecium is what I used for mine (it slots in under the left pad with little effort): 

153010784_20220714_1225411.thumb.jpg.d2e4aa6c77d66733371c7618b25a94e8.jpg

The one in the Paladin Squad? Is there anything else in that kit that I could use for 30k? I'm hesitant to spend $55 USD on something for like 3 bits

Edited by WolfLogic

There’s lots of impressive work in this thread  well done everyone  

I’ve started work on a sniper squad. Managed to do a few kneeling poses that I’m reasonably happy with (which need a lot of GS filling) and a sniper rifle based on the Phobos bolter and an intercessor magazine. 

The guy on the left might end up being Kaedes Nex. 

871CC2E6-A28F-4012-9E79-C6817DD7A832.thumb.jpeg.570b28e27357b1d224e88d7a0425667e.jpeg

The one in the Paladin Squad? Is there anything else in that kit that I could use for 30k? I'm hesitant to spend $55 USD on something for like 3 bits

That's the kit, you might be able to find the narthecium on a site like bitzbox if you just need that. The swords and other melee weapons are cool and the flamer is nice. Heads are also nice as variants (quite knightly though). If you just want it for 30k though it's probably not worth it (I bought it for 40k and had the narthecium left over). 

2 hours ago, WolfLogic said:

You can get the full set of upgrade bits for $10 USD right now from bits sites/eBay.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

I’ve built Kaedes Nex. Quite pleased with the overall effect, aiming for a classic gunfighter pose. I thought I’d make him a variant on a mkvi helmet with the lid missing and night vision gear instead, to represent his keen sight. The head is from an eliminator originally with the beak from a mkvi. 

8697088F-B15A-470F-9522-ADE9BD6CF760.thumb.jpeg.794c2716998313acc9ebaf425c09573a.jpeg

A4647CBF-6871-4A1A-9DC9-520DFCAB6B18.thumb.jpeg.bad8a75f4f89c9c96801df5026e717f3.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Mandragola said:

I’ve built Kaedes Nex. Quite pleased with the overall effect, aiming for a classic gunfighter pose. I thought I’d make him a variant on a mkvi helmet with the lid missing and night vision gear instead, to represent his keen sight. The head is from an eliminator originally with the beak from a mkvi. 

8697088F-B15A-470F-9522-ADE9BD6CF760.thumb.jpeg.794c2716998313acc9ebaf425c09573a.jpeg

A4647CBF-6871-4A1A-9DC9-520DFCAB6B18.thumb.jpeg.bad8a75f4f89c9c96801df5026e717f3.jpeg

“Pick up your gun…”

”I, I don’t want to, mister!”

”Pick up your gun…”

1 hour ago, Mandragola said:

Looks really cool! 

7 hours ago, Mandragola said:

Don't get me wrong, I love your conversion buuuut... from the front he does look a bit like he's grabbing his crotch.

So I think I want a big blob of despoilers for my Raven Guard, do I wait on Forgeworld to replenish their stocks, or do I just take my mountains of MK VII and use those arms and bolt pistols?

Alternatively I have a feeling they will release new plastics...which FW is out of everything atm. :(

1 hour ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

So I think I want a big blob of despoilers for my Raven Guard, do I wait on Forgeworld to replenish their stocks, or do I just take my mountains of MK VII and use those arms and bolt pistols?

Alternatively I have a feeling they will release new plastics...which FW is out of everything atm. :(

I used the original mkvi arms (mostly) with whatever chainswords and pistols I had lying around (mkiv weapons pack was ideal for this) 

IMG_20220623_143605.jpg

Whether to wait for melee weapons is a tough question and one many of us are facing. You’d think it would be quite simple to make despoilers (assault marines are a different question, probably requiring new bodies). If we knew they were coming we could wait, but for now it’s guesswork. 

I’ve converted up some Imperial Fist Huscarls, let me know what you think. I’ve got a range of different cloaks, as I wanted them not to be too uniform, but now I have to decide whether to try and model the damage from the first two cloaks onto the rest of them!

orWVkS6.jpg

4v6JbkZ.jpg

And the backs, with the array of different cloaks I managed to cobble together!

ylCk5fk.jpg

Wi0UNVb.jpg