30k Hobby Chat

13 minutes ago, oldhat said:

Random hobby question I couldn't find after Googling:

Would it be possible to cut the FW Mk3 Iron Hands heads down to fit into a Contemptor body? Deredeo? Leviathan?

Yes but they would look a bit small. 

The contemptor head is wider, so if you cut a mk3 head to the same height so it fits in the cowling it wouldn't be as wide and would look off

I finally finished the seekers and their bases...only for all but 1 to be rather firmly stuck to the base lol.

So here he is, the least decorated of the 5. In the end, I'm really happy with the solid black secondary, as well as ditching the little gold I had originally gone with. Hope they perform well in the next game I have!

PXL_20220718_232910619~2.jpg

PXL_20220718_233000416~2.jpg

PXL_20220718_233027634~2.jpg

Random question: Got an old mini that I think has got some lead rot. Is there any point in trying to paint it, or will the blight just come through and spoil the mini eventually? Quite an expensive one to get hold of and I am reluctant to throw away!

23 hours ago, TheFirstKnight said:

Prepping 55 mk II marines. Ready for my second Legion

You kept 55 mk ii for a rainy day!? Hats off to you, they would be worth a pretty penny on the secondary market right now. Looking forward to seeing them painted. Do you mean *your* second legion or *the* Second Legion?

Edited by LameBeard

5 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

You kept 55 mk ii for a rainy day!? Hats off to you, they would be worth a pretty penny on the secondary market right now. Looking forward to seeing them painted. Do you mean *your* second legion or *the* Second Legion?

Ha they were actually from my best mate (he’s a very good friend!).  Thanks! Once the heat dissipates I’m gonna start on to some painting. All scrubbed and varnished (plus some Grave Wardens), I’m just gluing them together now.

Re: Legion, they’re actually going to be *my* second legion. I like the idea of having an opposed army, and as I despise the pups, I’m going for the XIVth legion who I’ve always been a huge fan of.

E531BA15-55FD-4697-9573-CE8854B348D2.jpeg

Edited by TheFirstKnight

26 minutes ago, Pacific81 said:

Random question: Got an old mini that I think has got some lead rot. Is there any point in trying to paint it, or will the blight just come through and spoil the mini eventually? Quite an expensive one to get hold of and I am reluctant to throw away!

I don't know if it will be any help but I had a quick google and found this which may help, doesn't seem like there is anyway to fix it but there is things you can do to stop the rot. I hope that helps in the very least.

1 hour ago, TheFirstKnight said:

Ha they were actually from my best mate (he’s a very good friend!).  Thanks! Once the heat dissipates I’m gonna start on to some painting. All scrubbed and varnished (plus some Grave Wardens), I’m just gluing them together now.

Re: Legion, they’re actually going to be *my* second legion. I like the idea of having an opposed army, and as I despise the pups, I’m going for the XIVth legion who I’ve always been a huge fan of.

Very lucky and a very good friend!

Can't wait to see your rendition of the XIVth :)

3 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

What's the model? 

Not that I can help, I just wanna see what it looks like

8 hours ago, Altis said:

What's the model? 

Not that I can help, I just wanna see what it looks like

Its a 1st/2nd edition Epic Shadowsword (I am using for Great Crusade-era 12th legion). I think around '92/93 (?) the miniature switched to the white metal alloy along with everything else, but this must have been one of the early casts.

57 minutes ago, sarabando said:

spent last night building 20 beakies. novelty has worn off already only 80 left in the pile. 

I am not one to question a hobbyist on their collection, but lord almighty why do you need 100 Beakies?! lmao

2 minutes ago, oldhat said:

I am not one to question a hobbyist on their collection, but lord almighty why do you need 100 Beakies?! lmao

Do not question the need for vast amounts of boots on the ground. They're always needed ;) 

Besides, there's many reasons for them, multiple legions, a specific army (I once made an army list of 100 marines in a 1.5k list) 

Or maybe they bought 3 boxes, so 120 marines