30k Hobby Chat

On 7/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, Marshall Mittens said:

Can Space Marine Legions use Kastelan Robots in 30k? I have a few left over from a 40k project a while ago, and was thinking of building them for my legion. 

There are no kastelan robots in 30k but there is a Rite of War that allows castelax automata to be taken as troops, and the Praevian consul can bring castelax or vorax automata. Depending on the weapon loadout the plastic kastelans might need some converting.

Edited by Cactus

Bought my first ever model directly from Foregeworld last week; Iron Warriors Contemptor to stand out as my leader in my Fury of the Ancients list.

It is a lovely scuplt, and so easy to put together. I was worried about resin after the Finecast era, but this guy restored my faith a bit. I've also done my first ever Magnetising job, and am able to switch between resin double Claw/PlasmaBlaster or a Plasma Cannon, Lascannon or Bolt Cannon from the plastic kit.

Have undercoated the parts in Tamiya Red Brown and will be painting (er, Drybrushing) him this weekend from Iron Warriors up to Runefang Steel. Then adding some of the new Mortarion Grime Contrast into recesses. He will also have a scenic resin base I bought off ebay, with lots of craters/pipes in it.

1 hour ago, GenerationTerrorist said:

Bought my first ever model directly from Foregeworld last week; Iron Warriors Contemptor to stand out as my leader in my Fury of the Ancients list.

It is a lovely scuplt, and so easy to put together. I was worried about resin after the Finecast era, but this guy restored my faith a bit. I've also done my first ever Magnetising job, and am able to switch between resin double Claw/PlasmaBlaster or a Plasma Cannon, Lascannon or Bolt Cannon from the plastic kit.

Have undercoated the parts in Tamiya Red Brown and will be painting (er, Drybrushing) him this weekend from Iron Warriors up to Runefang Steel. Then adding some of the new Mortarion Grime Contrast into recesses. He will also have a scenic resin base I bought off ebay, with lots of craters/pipes in it.

FYI, Forgeworld never really went Finecast. That was an...idea let's call it, from GW and not FW to amalgamate plastic and resin into an awful concoction of the two.

Edited by Spagunk

7 hours ago, Marshall Mittens said:

That's such a good price! Wish they could be had for that in America!

Yeah it was an excellent price and I’m glad I waited until now instead of diving in at the beginning. Shame the rest of the world outside Europe gets shafted on prices but that’s a discussion for another day.

I now need to decide if I’m going Ultramarines, Iron Hands or Imperial Fists. Ugh too many choices!!

1 hour ago, infyrana said:

Wow guess it was a limited sale of the day or something?  Great find and lucky!

It’s £136 on their site but with this discount code: ELEVEN you get another 11% off I think. So that brought it down to £121. I paid for priority shipping which was £2.50 but still an excellent price.

That is a great deal @Axineton, probably the cheapest I have seen.

A WIP of the rest of a Devestator company. Just the bases and varnish to go, few more rhinos and the command stand (I generally paint the rank & file on their bases for speed, but put special characters on cocktail sticks and give them a little more attention)

20220730_144243~2.jpg

It's been a good year professionally, so I figured "treat yo self".

Decided to pick up 3 more units of Contekar to get a wysiwyg unit of 10 calivers. Also providing the extra bodies to convert up a full on NL tartaros command squad and some to use as atramentar or just blinged out normal tartaros.

Hopefully the plastic tartaros get their rebox soon and this project can begin. 

Edited by Brother_Angelus

3 hours ago, Axineton said:

It’s £136 on their site but with this discount code: ELEVEN you get another 11% off I think. So that brought it down to £121. I paid for priority shipping which was £2.50 but still an excellent price.

Well that’s £121 and my 4th box bought, so thanks for that. Don’t tell the wife.

Oh yeah, I played my first game of 2.0 last weekend (just 1k points which is nice & quick) , was great fun - my pride of the legion Iron Hands vs her infantry based Iron Warriors, I won by dint of having the only scoring unit left on the board at the end (a single whole cataphractii sergeant :sweat: )

it did tell me I really need to grab a proteus for my cataphractii as soon as they're released though - the unit spent most of the game slowly pursuing a tactical squad around the board and failing every single charge roll :teehee:

also that praetor's all built now so I have no excuse not to get back to painting:

FY__GmHX0AItCBw?format=jpg&name=medium

11 hours ago, Iron Hands Fanatic said:

Oh yeah, I played my first game of 2.0 last weekend (just 1k points which is nice & quick) , was great fun - my pride of the legion Iron Hands vs her infantry based Iron Warriors, I won by dint of having the only scoring unit left on the board at the end (a single whole cataphractii sergeant :sweat: )

it did tell me I really need to grab a proteus for my cataphractii as soon as they're released though - the unit spent most of the game slowly pursuing a tactical squad around the board and failing every single charge roll :teehee:

also that praetor's all built now so I have no excuse not to get back to painting:

FY__GmHX0AItCBw?format=jpg&name=medium

Great Praetor. I think I might pick up that model to make a Chaplain for my dark furies. 

I’ve been chopping up an ancient predator in an attempt to make a melta-equipped version. This involves bits from the stormhawk and an AT fuel tank. I’m pretty happy with the result but slightly concerned it could be mistaken for a flamer. What do you think?

E3519308-D00A-4A09-B320-2AA1E044A79F.thumb.jpeg.75608a1b41c5ef11c7d72cfd7c6c25af.jpeg

201CF584-940F-42C3-A974-5F858C0DFB45.thumb.jpeg.d207554f7d6d941054697c1ee0c0cfde.jpeg

Pictures of the Plastic Sicarian in sprue from Reddit:

Seems main gun turret is all on one Sprue, perhaps future releases will just require 1 Sprue for future main gins on variants? I do feel most of its variants are undercosted, perhaps to encourage people to buy the variants once they release, even if they have several of the basic one already?

3sg10jjhs9f91.jpg

8buvvxohs9f91.jpg

2hjy1aths9f91.jpg

Edited by Marshall Mittens

3 hours ago, Marshall Mittens said:

Pictures of the Plastic Sicarian in sprue from Reddit:

Seems main gun turret is all on one Sprue, perhaps future releases will just require 1 Sprue for future main gins on variants? I do feel most of its variants are undercosted, perhaps to encourage people to buy the variants once they release, even if they have several of the basic one already?

Cool to see the model has been made with the turret on a separate sprue. I hope the other turrets eventually are available in plastic. 

I wonder if these pictures suggest the model will be available for preorder soon?

The Spartan is exactly as we'd have expected. The Sicaran looks like it's perhaps laid out to have the parts common to all variants on one sprue and then the different stuff on another one. I really don't know if that means they'll release those variants, but with this design they could with too much bother.

Personally I'd much sooner see infantry upgrade sets. I think it's strange that we've only got a plastic version of one of the troop choices (and tactical support squads). There's been no hint of even a set of despoiler arms for the mkvi kit, let alone assault marines or breachers.

2 hours ago, Mandragola said:

The Spartan is exactly as we'd have expected. The Sicaran looks like it's perhaps laid out to have the parts common to all variants on one sprue and then the different stuff on another one. I really don't know if that means they'll release those variants, but with this design they could with too much bother.

Personally I'd much sooner see infantry upgrade sets. I think it's strange that we've only got a plastic version of one of the troop choices (and tactical support squads). There's been no hint of even a set of despoiler arms for the mkvi kit, let alone assault marines or breachers.

I'll second this. Lots and lots of tanks are all well and good but I'd really like to see some movement on core troops.