30k Hobby Chat

As always, loving the tones you use on the blue and gold, but I definitely see your issue - it's all just weirdly blending together almost imo. Out of the options you've outlined I'd probably echo NoFoesRemain with heavily shading certain parts of the blue, but alternatively have you considered just having the crescent pieces black, while leaving the 'underpad' blue?

To me it feels like those crescent pieces are the main offenders in having the blue all blend together, providing as they are a sort of link between the underpad, arms and torso. Just the crescents may provide a lesser alternative to your #3, but even that entire plan I think would work well - the seekers main 'standout' is the helm and prominent main shoulder pad. Without the helm being black, and with the main pads covered with other colours, I think any similarities should be easily avoided.

1 hour ago, Aeternus said:

As always, loving the tones you use on the blue and gold, but I definitely see your issue - it's all just weirdly blending together almost imo. Out of the options you've outlined I'd probably echo NoFoesRemain with heavily shading certain parts of the blue, but alternatively have you considered just having the crescent pieces black, while leaving the 'underpad' blue?

To me it feels like those crescent pieces are the main offenders in having the blue all blend together, providing as they are a sort of link between the underpad, arms and torso. Just the crescents may provide a lesser alternative to your #3, but even that entire plan I think would work well - the seekers main 'standout' is the helm and prominent main shoulder pad. Without the helm being black, and with the main pads covered with other colours, I think any similarities should be easily avoided.

I'm a little hesitant to have the middle part stay blue while the crescents change. I can't quite explain why; it just doesn't work well in my mind.

I'll try refining the blue and see how I like it; if not, it's on to black; if even that doesn't work, then it's probably option #4.

5 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I'm working on Sevatar and have a dilemma. His lower shoulder pad parts aren't really standing out to me, and just blending into the rest of the blue armour.

I have a few options to solve this problem:

1. Glaze more blue in and make a stronger gradient This might be the most obvious; the blue hasn't had any touchups past it's initial pass and is still a bit rough.

2. Make the middle part (between the trim and the crescents) gold. It would reinforce the artificered nature of the armour and help frame the unique crescent parts of the shoulders. Also I'm going to have to go through the gold mix anyways to capture all the scrollwork (thanks camera, I wasn't sure if it was just ink splatters).

3. Make the middle and crescents black to match the upper pads. This would definitely break up the blue, but I'm also worried about using too much black and undermining the seekers use of it.

4. Combine #2 & #3. This would help reduce the amount of black, still add to the artificed look, and define the areas. 

Really would appreciate any thoughts!

PXL_20220726_185129522~3.jpg

You could always do some dry brushing of lead belcher around the plate edges and give it a weathered look while making them stand out

52 minutes ago, Irate Khornate said:

You could always do some dry brushing of lead belcher around the plate edges and give it a weathered look while making them stand out

Thanks, but I'm not going to add weathering with metalics to these guys. Doesn't play the best with the gold being highlighted up to silver itself.

20 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

PXL_20220726_185129522~3.jpg

I see what you're talking about - is it the same in person, or accentuated by the photo? I'd adding my voice to deeper shading on the blue where it joins the arm. If that doesnt give a satisfactory result, I'd go gold with it. 

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

I see what you're talking about - is it the same in person, or accentuated by the photo? I'd adding my voice to deeper shading on the blue where it joins the arm. If that doesnt give a satisfactory result, I'd go gold with it. 

It's actually worse in person, because the details are naturally harder to see lol.

Still haven't had time to put any paint on the model to see one way or another.

That's hilarious, @Pacific81 :D

On my end, staff sergeant-moritat Sternberg is finished and very, very pissed. You get a rad grenade! You get a rad grenade! EVERYBODY GETS A RAD GRENADE!

1146551_sm-.jpg
1146552_sm-.jpg
1146553_sm-.jpg
1146554_sm-.jpg
1146555_sm-.jpg

I have a bit of a problem with Destroyers often being painted black, given the fluff of them just not giving a toss about various burn marks and such on their person. Especially in Death Guard, where even the regular fellas don't bother painting their ceramite. With this model, the body of the giant pizza shovel praetor was already too busy to go ham with such marks so that experiment shall wait a bit more. 

@SkimaskMohawk After looking at the Sevatar on the web store, it's not that different - but I think how saturated the blue is might be throwing it off? I agree that you might want to fade it to a darker color, or throw in some more bone and red.

31 minutes ago, tinpact said:

@SkimaskMohawk After looking at the Sevatar on the web store, it's not that different - but I think how saturated the blue is might be throwing it off? I agree that you might want to fade it to a darker color, or throw in some more bone and red.

Saturation shouldn't be a problem as long as long as you can preserve volume. I'm thinking that the various raised surfaces and kinda rushed airbrush application just didn't mix too well, and needs a lot of old fashioned brush work to make it look correct. 

On 7/24/2022 at 4:09 PM, Chaeron said:

That’s a superb breakdown @Gederas - always find that useful when looking at boxes to see what I can use or repurpose. I’m sure others will find that very helpful too. I’ve found it a great start to a new Legion so far!

Yep was a great breakdown and has probably convinced me to get the box maybe next month for my birthday and to maybe add a few bits to it too. 

1 hour ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Saturation shouldn't be a problem as long as long as you can preserve volume.

Oh yeah, he's very flatly blue at the moment. The blue is just a really strong color to the point it fights with the gold for dominance.

Also - I think the bit around the collar should be gold as well to keep his head separate from his chest.

Thanks everyone who took the time to provide feedback on sevatars armour!

I had the time to touch up the blue, and it's pretty clear to see that it helped a lot, and the shoulder pad layers are distinct now. I also lined some other shadows in a bit better (like around the gorget), and re-highlighted some edges for a sharper finish. One thing with the ink I use to get the blue is that its finish is rather glossy, so highlights can be a bit rough to place initially. Still a lot left to do on the model.

PXL_20220728_152330480~2.jpg

I’m still bashing away at ravenguard. I’ve built my second tactical squad, a couple of apothecaries, all the dark furies and 1.5 of my recon squads. Quite a lot of this stuff has now been primed, had its contrast layer and is starting to get details done, starting with the metal. 
0B020503-A9EC-4D6B-A5DB-187497708DC3.thumb.jpeg.151994d15c07eec64e993d3159977dee.jpeg

For a bit of a break from the churn I have been painting this contemptor over the past couple of days. I’ve added the transfers now, arguably a bit early as there’s still work to do on the metal parts. Nearly there though. 

720B82A4-D7F8-495F-9FC7-75C1237E5BBC.thumb.jpeg.db95ff8600af91e0c65fa6a43b19a48f.jpeg

Theres still stuff I’m trying to figure out, like what exactly my army list will be. Units like a Xiphon, predators and various characters - who I may or may not have a plan to build - keep drifting in and out of my lists. I think I know how I’m going to add melta blastgun to some ancient mars-class predators that I’ve got. 

Edited by Mandragola