Night Lords Warband and Chaos Lost and the Damned

And as my free time off work comes to an end, I finished up that Maulerfiend.

I pretty much speed-painted him, however, I still think that drybrushing makes bones look most realistic and gives the best effect for bleached and worn old bones.

Now he stands ready to smash some skulls in service of his pirate masters.

Maulerfiend5.jpg

Maulerfiend2.jpg

Maulerfiend3.jpg

I repeat again how much I love this Night Lords army.

It just gives so many possibilities to add great models to it, even models of a completely different range.

At least I do not feel that he looks out of place.

Edited by Valkia the Bloody

Wonderful paint job! Your Maulerfiend is a horror to behold.

I might have to borrow your idea and take a Harvester from the waist up and stick him on a Night Lords Defiler chassis.

That would work a treat!

It will fit great with your Night Lords, too.

The past few days, I have been home sick with a cold.

I decided to play around a bit more with my colorshift paints.

Recently, I got a Alpha Legion Praetor on Ebay for cheap, because he was broken, so I put him back together.

"Psychotic Illusions" works well with Alpha Legion, it has a bit more green in there than my other blue colorshift paints.

This guy could go with my Chaos army, but right now, I have placed the model among my loyalists as a bit of an insider joke.

So far, the loyalists do not suspect a thing. :p

The mysterious figure only known as "Alpharius" came aboard the "Nightstalker" during a raid on a remote Imperial outpost.

He appeared out of the darkness and smoke like a shadow, and after a short and bloody melee with some misguided Night Lords, which he refused to kill, he demanded a word with the Master of the warband.

He is clearly following his own agenda, and nobody would trust him further than they can see him, but so far, he has proven useful.

He knew the transponder codes for several Imperial supply ships, and also pointed the way to some remote Imperial supply lines, which have so far provided easy pickings and plenty of material to restock the battleship and her crew.

So for the time being, Alpharius has made the "Nightstalker" his home and the pirate crew have become his weary and reluctant companions.

alpharius1.jpg

I gave him an understated magma power sword, because I think this colour provides a nice contrast.

Alpharius2.jpg

alpharius3.jpg

alpharius-and-loyalists.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did not have any time for painting in the past week, so no real progress from my side.

However.

I had browsed Ebay again and finally made the decision, to try out one of these Not- Primarch 3D Sculpts. Since my painting is not good enough to do any 100 Euro Forgeworld miniature justice, I thought I try it out first on a budget.

I am still not sold on this 3D printing. The material is brittle and a pain to clean up.

But I liked the sculpt, so this is what I got.

The Lord of the Night.

Curze.jpg

He even has a decent size, compared to a terminator:

Curze-Size.jpg

I really like 'Alpharius'!

Yeah, these colorshift paints really make Alpha Legion pop. I am thinking about maybe branching off and also do some Alpha Legion...

because I like the effect. It just does not fit with the vibe I want my Night Lords to have.

I decided that my army needed a few more mortals to keep the "Nightstalker", my mighty pirate battleship, going.

A battleship is a huge place and it is not only inhabited by demons and monsters.

My warband will have attacked, haunted, robbed and pillaged dozens of inhabited worlds.

They will not only have wreaked havoc and spilled blood, but also taken many slaves.

People from different backgrounds.

People that were worth more alive than they were dead.

Mechanics. Engineers. Artificers. Mercenaries. A Navigator.

My warband is not about demon worship or serving a certain god or creating a cult.

It will not have religious followers, or even any fanatical cultists.

The mortals on board of the Nightstalker will be opportunists and survivors.

And they will be a ragtag mix of different backgrounds and cultures.

So I assembled a 30 strong band of mortals to represent this ragtag mix of slaves and mercenaries.

These are from Necromunda, Blackstone Fortress, Forgeworld and Artel W.

Today I got a few more Necromunda minis which I put together, to bring them up to a horde of 30.

I do not play Necromunda, but I sure love some of these sculpts!!

Mortals-Necromunda.jpg

Mortals-2.jpg

Mortals3.jpg

To bring them together, they will be painted up in similar colours, and will have some Midnight blue on them, as well as some blood and gore, to tie them in with the rest of the army.

The Necromunda Goliath Stimmers gave me another idea for a cool and very simple conversion.

These Stimmers could be used as near perfect Creations of Bile!

Since Fabius Bile is currently travelling on the Nightstalker for his own nefarious goals, having struck a bargain with the Masters of the ship, he certainly needs some bodyguards!

So I created two great muscular bodyguards for him.

(( In game, I would just have them mingle with the other Necromunda Berzerkers in my warband. ))

But for now, they lumber along behind Bile when he wanders around the Nightstalker, always on the lookout for new victims and always thinking up new ideas for even better creations.

Creations-of-Bile.jpg

Creations-of-Bile2.jpg

And these guys are massive.

Here they are, compared to a Primaris Marine in size.

Not hard to imagine that Bile took some Primaris gene stock and improved upon it in his own way.

Creations-of-Bile3.jpg

I have done another weekend painting.

Finished on the terminator squad and the Champion.

There are very cool miniatures, full of detail and all the amount of gore just fits perfectly with my army.

I went to town with the over-the-top gore.

These were very fun to paint.

I just imagine these guys as very prolific and efficient butchers, wading through buckets of blood and guts.

They are the best at what they do. And what they do is not very nice.

Or hygienic.

I also used the colourshift gold paint for the heat-discolouration on the weapons. I think it works very well.

Termies1.jpg

Termies2.jpg

Termies3.jpg

Termies4.jpg

Termies5.jpg

Termies-6.jpg

Got another bargain on Ebay. :biggrin.:

So I converted yet another Exalted Champion for the Warband (I had to find a use for the Night Lord helmet that came with the Not- Konrad Curze Model.... :tongue.: ).

This is one of the Primaris Lieutenants with Power Sword, I just thought I would do a character similar to Talos who also wields a loyalist power sword.

Perverting a noble weapon.

I have not thought up a backstory for this guy, yet.

But like many others he has ripped his shiny new armor from the mutilated body of a dead loyalist. And proudly wears the skull and skin of the former owner as badges of honor.

He also is not ashamed to show the battle damage that he had inflicted and certainly will make good use of the shiny new weapons he has acquired.

All this is a warning, a threat, a serious insult and a challenge to any loyalists who see him.

"I have come for you."

Exalted-Champion.jpg

Edited by Valkia the Bloody

Very bloody, very nice. The Contekar are really growing on me.

I think the Contekar Terminators are truly amazing models.

As soon as I saw their preview, I could not wait for them to come out and to get my hands on them.

They are full of vicious detail and just ooze a threatening aura.

And they make it clear once and for all that the Night Lords always have been, from the start, not very nice.

They do not look out of place in a 40k Chaos army.

I again practiced my skill in converting and modelling.

Looking at some projects in this forum, I feel very humbled and inadequate with my very basic skills.

Well, practice makes perfect.

I often have some cool ideas, but often, I just feel my skills leave some room for improvement.

Well, I started with creating a scenic base for my Heldrake.

The Heldrake itself is still on the sprue and not assembled, yet.

But since it will be one of the centre pieces of my army, it required a suitable epic base.

It is amazing what you can do with some leftover bits and resin waste, this creates a nice battlefield with lots of rubble.

So here it is:

Heldrake_Base.jpg

And then I had a brilliant idea for another cool conversion.

These Primaris Inceptors.

To be totally honest.

They look very awkward.

And very stiff.

For a fast assault unit.... they miss some dynamic.

So I had a thought....

What if Khârn the Betrayer found a new hobby? And discovered his love for skydiving?

I think THIS is what would happen:

Jump-Kharn1.jpg

Jump-Kharn2.jpg

Jump-Kharn3.jpg

I had recently bought the 30k Khârn model from Forgeworld, but had assembled him with his helmet, so the bare head I used in this conversion.

Together with some Necromunda Goliath bits.

I think he came out pretty well.

:D

I tried to sculpt some muscle, but I am aware that I am still not very skilled. Still, for a first attempt not too bad, I will just go with the explanation that there is a lot of scar tissue. :p

Finished (for now) Fabius Bile.

I really need to improve on painting glass bottles and vials (need to watch a few instruction videos on that and then come back to the model).

And I REALLY have issues with painting faces.

The reason is that I suffer from a mild form of agnosia. That is when someone has trouble recognizing and visualizing faces. I have trouble recognizing people by face, I use voice and clothes and behaviour and hair colour.

Painting faces is very hard for me (except, I can do the overbrushing as I did here), because I just cannot visualize how the face is supposed to look right.

This is the reason most of my models in my army wear helmets!

And why I have not started working on my very small force of Space Wolves (which I sadly only have assembled with BARE HEADS. In a moment of total masochism).

Anyways, I call Fabius Bile finished for now, but will come back to the details at a later date when I have more leasure and nerve to get into it.

For the armour, I went with a Chameleon Color Shift paint "Darth Blue". It shifts between dark blue (Night Lords) and purple (Emperors Children) and fits perfectly here!

And I went with the freshly sewn human skin cloak.

The slain loyalist I made one of these pathetic Ultra Poster Boys.

Fabius1.jpg

Fabius2.jpg

Fabius3.jpg

Next, I am planning on working on some of the characters I put together recently and of course work on that Heldrake!

Faces are always kind of hard to paint, but I can definitely see how your condition makes it even harder. However, I wouldn't have been able to tell you struggle with it from looking at the pictures. He looks great! The vials also came out quite well in my opinion.

It might be a bit of a strange tip, but perhaps looking at makeup tutorials on youtube can help you understand painting faces better. They're also applying highlights and shadows, and knowing exactly where to place them instead of having a vague idea might be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished painting the Berserker Lord with jump pack, the Aspiring Champion and the two Creations of Bile bodyguard for Fabius Bile.

These were a real joy to paint.

I love how they turned out!

Lord-and-champion.jpg

champion1.jpg

champion2.jpg

Lord.jpg

I especially like how his face has turned out- more by accident, really. I just did some drybrushing and washes on it and refused to overthink it.

bodyguards1.jpg

Fabius-and-bodyguards.jpg

Great to see the progress with my army. :D

Missing paint are still the Forgefiend, the "cultists", 2 units of Raptors and a few characters.

Here they are, in all their glory:

Army-shot.jpg

Spend all afternoon today putting this bad boy together.

It is an awesome model and since it came out, I always wanted one.

The only thing that held me back.... all. that. trim.

Indeed, I am slightly intimidated.

But yeah, he is assembled and basecoated. I call this progress.

Heldrake-basecoat.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am progressing at snail pace (busy with work in real life) but there has been some progress over the past week.

At least I have now finished the base for the Heldrake.

To keep in line with a dangerous, fire-breathing dragon from the warp, I used different grass tufts for the base, the burned dead grass by Army Painter.

I think the copious amounts of gore will link this model to the rest of my army.

Heldrake-base-finished.jpg

I also did the trim and plotted out the panels on the Heldrake.

I am going to paint the panels with the dark blue colourshift paint I tried out earlier on some other models. He should like as alien as possible, as if he pounces in and out of the warp to attack and destroy. :D

Still A LOT of work to do.

Heldrake-WIP-1804.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At long last, I finally finished my Heldrake.

What a project, took me 3 weeks.

All that trim was the stuff of nightmares- fitting, since the Heldrake is a creature of nightmares. :p

I used the "Cobalt Blue" chameleon paint for the colour panels, but really tried to paint the model as if it has been fighting the long war, it is dirty and bruised, and has been in use for a long time. There is hardly any time to see an artificer to add new shine and colour to the hull.

Heldrake-finished1.jpg

Heldrake-finished2.jpg

Heldrake-finished3.jpg

Hot demon fire is burning on the inside of this machine:

Heldrake-head.jpg

And when using the flash, the colour-shift paint comes out a bit more:

Heldrake-flash2.jpg

Heldrake-flash1.jpg

After this, I need a change of pace and especially a change of scenery.

I will be painting a heavy destroyer for my Necron army, just as a palate cleanser. Quick and easy job with my simple colour-scheme. :p

I also got the new model for Lelith Herperax. I am not into Eldar at all, but I had always had a soft spot for her. :D

And then there is this old-school metal Night Lords hero model.

These are what's up next in my painting schedule.

May_Vow.jpg

Since the metal Night Lords hero is so small compared to all the "modern" chaos models, he shall henceforth be called "Bilbo the Butcher". :p

He will be my last, third, vow for the "Anger and Arrogance" event. :D

Night_Lords_Lord.jpg

Your hell drake is stunning - excellent work there.  The lightning combined with the colourshift paint is gorgeous.

I find it interesting that you did the belly your trim colour - for my own heck turkey, I did the belly in its armour colour (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5694314).