=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2021 [=

Grotsmasha

Well its already February and its the shortest month so lets get cracking!

I, Azaiel , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of February pledge to complete a tanbusta Boss Nob by month's end.

UkeJB47.jpg

Got really confused when I saw this at first, wondered what new model this was with such long arms :facepalm:

Well its already February and its the shortest month so lets get cracking!

I, Azaiel , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of February pledge to complete a tanbusta Boss Nob by month's end.

UkeJB47.jpg

Got really confused when I saw this at first, wondered what new model this was with such long arms :facepalm:

My brain processed it as a primed 1st ed Eldar Dreadnought until I saw the tankbusta bomb. I think I need to put the 1st edition books down for a few days, this obsession cant be healthy lol

In addition to my Corvus Stiletto-

I, Lord_Ikka, vow to complete two Tempestor Primes for the month of February.

v8TLbaq.jpg

hROXPhw.jpg

These two will actually be the lieutenants in my Inquisition stormtrooper army, as I already have a third Tempestor Prime painted up as the captain of the force.

BROTHERS OF THE MINE REJOICE! :biggrin.:

Uh, I mean, VOW COMPLETE! :ermm: :tongue.:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
gallery_46204_9220_147643.jpg

The Stonebound are resolute, unyielding warriors who exemplify the traits their Primarch, Rogal Dorn, was famed for. Stubborn and unrelenting, these Space Marines will go to tremendous lengths to right any wrong done to them.

Though the old guard in the Chapter still consider the Primaris marines "unproven" (it
has only been a couple of centuries after all), the Stonebound make use of the tools they are given in their pursuit of their vengeance and a united Imperium.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Making the necks for these marines took a lot more work than I'd expected!

I might have gone a little heavy with the Contrast paint in places on these marines, but I like it well enough - they look good at table-top distance, so that'll do.

More pics below:

I am truly, truly awful at freehand. I don't know how people do it - even the smallest brush tends to just leave symbols as a blotchy mess in my hands.

Those are supposed to be crossed axes, in case you're wondering!
gallery_46204_9220_137983.jpg
One for the other side, showing off pouches and a lot of brown armour:
gallery_46204_9220_25571.jpg
And those backpacks, which are oddly therapeutic to paint. I say oddly, because usually I hate painting backpacks. :laugh.:
gallery_46204_9220_25346.jpg

An update on my challenges for February so far:

Plodding Along Challenge

I said I'd show you the mock-ups for my 15" x 15" board tiles. These mock-ups were drawn on graph paper, with each square representing one inch. They are only mock-ups, so I didn't bother with a ruler; obviously, the final foam core and plastic card versions with be cut with straight edges. My purpose here was merely to prove that these tiles allow for a wide variety of table layouts. It took longer to get these up than I had hoped, because I found I had only created 12 of the 18 tiles I'd need to make an Onslaught sized board.

Here are the first two sets of tiles:

Corner Tile Mock Ups

These tiles each feature a 4" road that borders two sides of the tile.

Single Road Tile Mock Ups

These tiles each feature a 4" road that borders one side of the tile.

With these two sets of tiles, I can make Combat Patrol or Incursion sized boards like this one:

Sample Combat Patrol Or Incursion Board

Or Strike Force sized boards like this:

Sample Strike Force Board

Interesting point: because each GW board is 30" wide and 120" boards are too big even for Onslaught, GW HAD to make their Combat Patrol and Incursion Games playable on the same sized board, but because my tiles are only 15", I have the capacity to play Incursion games on a 45" x 45" board- somewhere between Combat Patrol and Strike Force.

In order to make an Onslaught sized board though, I needed six more tiles, so I made up these:

Miscellaneous Tile Mock Ups

This is a mixed bag: the three tiles without roads allow me to create huge footprints for large scale terrain installations like multi-level Hab-Blocks. I reasoned that I wouldn't need more than three of these- too many large terrain installations could really crowd out a table. During experiments with the first two sets of mock-ups, I found Single Road Tiles to be more versatile than Corner Tiles, so I made 3 additional Single Road tiles to round out the set.

Now I can make Onslaught boards like this:

Sample Onslaught Board

A final note: I was inspired by another Frater's Crusade Campaign today- here's the link to his campaign:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/367251-conquest-of-exelia-tertius-a-crusade-campaign/?do=findComment&comment=5664575 . The campaign uses a 25 x 25 territory grid of the kind used in the Streets of Death system from Urban Conquest. The inspiration was that this campaign uses persistent battlefields, so that each table layout is photographed and that exact layout is used for every battle fought at that territory. 

I intend to do the same, but here's my spin: I design an Onslaught sized board to represent every territory, but in Combat Patrol sized games, I pick only a 30" x 45" section of the territory to play on. This allows me to create mini-map-based sequences within the larger campaign. So if you look at the Onslaught board above, imagine fighting a Combat Patrol game on the two left-most columns of the map. If the attacker, deploying on the left, can seize an objective in the defender's deployment zone on the right, the next battle shifts over one column, with the attacker trying to push the defender even further- though this team the defender has the opportunity to push the attacker back to his or her original position. You could fight the series until one faction pushed the other out of the territory.

Okay, that's it for the Plodding Along Challenge developments. Now on to the more exciting part of the post: We finally played the Space Hulk game and kicked off the Chronicle of Saint Katherine's Aegis!

This was a custom scenario;  4 Genestealer Purestrains out of 20 managed to make Planetfall on the Agriworld of Orison's Wake. Here, they will grow into a Genestealer Cult, which shall be known as the Cult of the Living Thresher. These four Survivors are the models I vow to paint for my February installment of the 12 months of Hobby Challenge:

Survivors 2

Survivors 1

I will be posting details of the battle in the Chronicles of Saint Katherine's Aegis forum soon. I'm in the process of redrafting the short story that prefaces the game; I'm hoping to finish that, the scenario description, a summary of the battle and an epilogue story from the Genestealer POV by midnight tomorrow.

May be time get started on either painting the Stealers, cutting the foam core for my first 3 boards too.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

Going to have to update my Plodding Along vow from 20 each Solar Auxilia lasrifle/volkite to 19 each. The other 2 were lost to warp beasts, aka two kittens. I may get them back, but as of yet they are in the void...

Declaring my vow complete: 2 Sisters helping a little confused Battle Brother find a guy named Horus. Anybody seen him?
gallery_105306_14251_250347.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_350013.jpg

Took a little more time to get the bases done.

Congratulations everyone on your January works! And especially SuffiicientAnonimity for that most impressive Exorcist - well deserved Favourite, brother!

As per usual, there were quite a few excellent choices for this months Favourite, but in the end it was too hard to pass up on SufficientAnonymity's outstanding Exorcist.

Thank you - it was a labour of love and I'm glad you all enjoyed it so much :happy.:

Nope can't count the display base for my Feb task....

So I, TBD, accept the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge and vow to complete by months end 3 more members of my Inq28 warband...

random pieces picture... more bits and greenstuff to be added... but this what i have so far ;-)

IMG-20210207-152623.jpg

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the captain, Grot - I wouldn't have gone beyond 'quite neat' myself. I did manage a few other models during the rest of the month, but they're all for another game, so not presentable here (I'm plodding through all 13 regenerations of a time-travelling xenos - four down, nine to go).

Anyway. Here's my February pledge, and it's back into the ranks of the Cult for this one:

kellermorph

I, Rogue, pledge to complete one kellermorph before the end of February.

Grotsmasha, can you roll me up/choose a chapter to paint this group as, also what melee option the sergeant takes. I have parts for them all. 

Rather than one, I've chosen a few of my favourite, lessor known/used Chapters for you to choose from,

Blood Ravens / Sons of Orar (similar schemes)

Howling Griffons (either scheme)

Mentors

Storm Lords

Since I've not gamed since 2nd Ed, I'm not clued in to good load outs, but as a Dark Angel, I'm partial to Plasma, so a Plasma pistol and CCW of your choice ok?

Grotsmasha, can you roll me up/choose a chapter to paint this group as, also what melee option the sergeant takes. I have parts for them all. 

Rather than one, I've chosen a few of my favourite, lessor known/used Chapters for you to choose from,

Mentors

Storm Lords

Since I've not gamed since 2nd Ed, I'm not clued in to good load outs, but as a Dark Angel, I'm partial to Plasma, so a Plasma pistol and CCW of your choice ok?

Well I have a blood raven force already (the Battle for Blackreach set) so.... guess it's time to try a split scheme. Going for StormLords, might as well keep the White Scar successor theme going.

Mentors

Storm Lords

Well I have a blood raven force already (the Battle for Blackreach set) so.... guess it's time to try a split scheme. Going for StormLords, might as well keep the White Scar successor theme going.

Nice :tu: one thing I only just learned about them myself is, their helmet colour isn't set to yellow, it's their Company colour, opening up more options.

Mentors

Storm Lords

Nice :thumbsup: one thing I only just learned about them myself is, their helmet colour isn't set to yellow, it's their Company colour, opening up more options.

Yup, so I'm going to roll and D8+1 to figure out the company. I have all the colours needed... I think. Also going for PP/TH on the sergeant if able. Something about a Storm Lord wielding a thunder hammer just seems right. Priming will have to wait as we had a foot of snow dropped on us this morning.