9th Ed. Wishlist?

Lord Robertsen

I’d much rather have an auto explode stratagem applicable to all vehicles than just hellhound, but we will see. Also it would thematically fit for the Guard to have that 8th prepared positions stratagem brought back for first turn cover or +1 save until you move, not just for a super heavy ace but for whole army.

Regimental supplements would be so nice.

I think there’s plenty of room to make good supplements to really create more variation in how different regiments play.

Cadian, and catachan at the very least.

I’m not sure which regiments are 3rd and 4th in popularity

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

I think there’s plenty of room to make good supplements to really create more variation in how different regiments play.

That doesn't even seem worth a supplement at all to me. I don't expect any more than those as supplements because it directly supports their line of miniatures, which I believe is the key part. Are there even enough Cadian or Catachan units to justify either supplement? Will there be?  

That doesn't even seem worth a supplement at all to me. I don't expect any more than those as supplements because it directly supports their line of miniatures, which I believe is the key part. Are there even enough Cadian or Catachan units to justify either supplement? Will there be?

new edition is a great time to release new kits.

Catachan already had a supplement once upon a time.

Yes, it is a good time. It's just that I believe GW will do the minimum. We know Cadia has a few Special characters and maybe the return of Karsikins.

And I can see them doing a kit that would work for either Cadians or Catachans. some kind of dual kit maybe. But low effort on their part to double down on sales. 

I still have at least one copy of codex Catachan with my old books. 

I'm mostly curious what they will do for diy regiments in the new codex, which I feel should be in the codex and not in a supplement. 

Cadia has already had 3 supplements in the past. Eye of Terror campaign, 7th edition, and now this Warzone book. 

Catachan had one in 3rd or 4th edition. I can't remember which.

Armageddon Steel Legion had one in the Armageddon campaign. 

Elysians had their own codex in IA 3 and was updated again in 7th edition (from memory). They even survived into the 8th edition index.

DKOK had their own codex in IA 5, with more updates in IA 6, IA 7, a compilation in 7th edition. I think they also survived in the 8th edition index.

Then there was Imperial Armoured Company in 3rd edition, followed by a 3.5 edition update. IA 1 had Armoured Battlegroup, with was updated again in 5th edition. 

Guard have had tons of mini-codexes before. 

Edited by jarms48

Cadia has already had 3 supplements in the past. Eye of Terror campaign, 7th edition, and now this Warzone book. 

Catachan had one in 3rd or 4th edition. I can't remember which.

Armageddon Steel Legion had one in the Armageddon campaign. 

Elysians had their own codex in IA 3 and was updated again in 7th edition (from memory). They even survived into the 8th edition index.

DKOK had their own codex in IA 5, with more updates in IA 6, IA 7, a compilation in 7th edition. I think they also survived in the 8th edition index.

Then there was Imperial Armoured Company in 3rd edition, followed by a 3.5 edition update. IA 1 had Armoured Battlegroup, with was updated again in 5th edition. 

Guard have had tons of mini-codexes before.

Yes, I know about most of these. What I am getting at is that now we have the whole no models no rules policy unlike before. I wouldn't include Forge World armies in that list as they weren't GW proper at the time.  I'm not saying there wasn't a history of supplements just that, "The times they have a changed."  Even the steel Legion is now discontinued models. I don't expect them to be more than a foot note somewhere in favor of plastic Cadian anything. Which is disappointing but likely. 

I guess those special character have to go somewhere. 

When I think about it I just don't see a reason to bother with a supplement or for myself, buy one. I am certain Cadia is very likely to get one. 

I guess I find the supplement situation for the lase several editions to have been sad and disappointing. 

GW's gunna GW I guess.

Edited by duz_
Removed excessive quotes

Yes, it is a good time. It's just that I believe GW will do the minimum. We know Cadia has a few Special characters and maybe the return of Karsikins.
And I can see them doing a kit that would work for either Cadians or Catachans. some kind of dual kit maybe. But low effort on their part to double down on sales.
I still have at least one copy of codex Catachan with my old books.

I'm mostly curious what they will do for diy regiments in the new codex, which I feel should be in the codex and not in a supplement.

Cadia specific- kasrkin, maybe the twin las Russ comes back to them, a unique hvy weapon unit of some sort

Catachan-hunters (think more grenadiers with infiltrate type rule or a movement before the first turn.) unique FA option maybe?

Yes, I know about most of these. What I am getting at is that now we have the whole no models no rules policy unlike before. I wouldn't include Forge World armies in that list as they weren't GW proper at the time. I'm not saying there wasn't a history of supplements just that, "The times they have a changed." Even the steel Legion is now discontinued models. I don't expect them to be more than a foot note somewhere in favor of plastic Cadian anything. Which is disappointing but likely.
I guess those special character have to go somewhere.
When I think about it I just don't see a reason to bother with a supplement or for myself, buy one. I am certain Cadia is very likely to get one.
I guess I find the supplement situation for the lase several editions to have been sad and disappointing.
GW's gunna GW I guess.

no model no rules is a fairly new policy of GW’s but every faction to get a codex or supplement this edition has gotten new units.
There’s no reason to believe this won’t be the same for IG.
If they do supplements vanilla guard might not get anything new but I think two new (or ‘new’) units released for guard supplements would be very well received by the guard community.

So some further thoughts on IG sups

Tallarn- FA units can advance and shoot, grenadier rough riders(main dex gets rough riders back), fire and fade type stratagem for all [cavlary] and [vehicle] units

Valhallan- +1 to wound with mortar teams, +1 to hit on heavy and special weapons that don’t move, and a stratagem to expand the +1 to hit to the rest of the unit.
(Don’t ask why but I see the Valhallans as much less mobile or movement based than the rest.) And some sort of grenadier unit for themselves.

Basically each supplement gets a unique grenadier unit, and Kasrkin, or scions would be usable for those roles (tallarn might need their own unique kit though for mounted grenadiers) and then one or two regimental traits that buff one specific aspect of the regiment, and one or two strats as well. Edited by duz_
Removed excessive quotes and merged triple post

Back to wishlisting, and I think back to something that was touched on earlier in the thread but I was hoping to get some thoughts on: OGRYN. Make them a troops choice, keep them elites but give them ObSec, make them take up fewer transport slots... what else? Bodyguard character is cool, and I don't think having one as acting commander would be fitting.

Any more interesting ideas regarding ogryn? Bullgryn are pretty slick as-is. 

Edited by Juggernut

I believe Ogryns have a bigger problem, and that is what battlefield role do they fulfil? Melee? Bulgryns. Shooting, in a shooting arny? I think they do need the bodyguard rule, but they aren't durable enough.

I'm debating on if Ogryns should be merged with Bullgryns, so you have a single type that can bodyguard, shoot and melee effectively.  

I believe Ogryns have a bigger problem, and that is what battlefield role do they fulfil? Melee? Bulgryns. Shooting, in a shooting arny? I think they do need the bodyguard rule, but they aren't durable enough.

I'm debating on if Ogryns should be merged with Bullgryns, so you have a single type that can bodyguard, shoot and melee effectively.

ya I never understood why they were separate datasheets.

Superior Tactical Training and the Up-Armored MBT tank ace are now obsolete. I hope Creed’s mandatory warlord trait shifts to Gifted Commander and that Up-Armored is changed to +1 save.

I'm not sure that's true.  STT is a chance for a free order, so you still can order more units at once, reducing the overall cost to take units to give orders by about 1/3rd.  Now you can MMM! a unit and still potentially give another order to a unit, so there is still value there.  

no model no rules is a fairly new policy of GW’s but every faction to get a codex or supplement this edition has gotten new units.

It's really not. It came about near the end of 5th with the whole Chapter House thing. That was like 10 years ago.

I do think they'll remove Ogryn Bodyguards and just give Ogryns and Bullgryns the Bodyguard rule. Though, I do think we'd keep some kind of generic Ogryn character. Like Ogryn Chief, who will have some kind of aura that buffs both types of Ogryns.

I do think all regular Ogryns need is some kind of points drop. If they were 20 points per model they'd be alright. Same as a DKOK rider. Also, I'd be nice if their ripper guns had +1 AP at half range. They're giant shotguns, it should be like the pulse blaster.  

Edited by jarms48

Superior Tactical Training: Roll a dice each time your Warlord issues an order or tank order. On a 4+ that order can affect an additional CADIAN unit of the same type as the original target (INFANTRY or LEMAN RUSS) within 6" of the Warlord.

Sure on paper you could get some extra move move move orders out or vox out to a faraway squad and have it affect a nearby one, and you can bypass Raw Recruits if you’re not using Whiteshields, but given that the other orders now naturally bounce I would expect the current STT to be chosen around 0% of the time other than when Creed is forced to take it to get the +2CP.

I could see very slight value if the 4+ proc actually issued the same order so you could copy it out in another direction, but it just “affects” another unit so the new rules wouldn’t kick in.

I expect it to be taken 0% of the time because we need it for our 2nd FP Manticore.  

If GW would fix the battle cannon & Storm Eagle rocket damage at 2, Basilisk at 3, Demo Cannon at 3+d3, then we'd have room for WL traits.  But because that 2nd FP manticore is a must-take, there's really no room for WL traits.

Make Ogyns 20points each and their guns DMG 2 and I think they would be viable.

That would be awesome. Perhaps a choice of pellet vs. slug situation for different damage types?

Could be cool, but thematically are Ogryns even smart enough to switch different types of ammunition? Or understand when the best time to swap ammo types would be?

Make Ogyns 20points each and their guns DMG 2 and I think they would be viable.

That would be awesome. Perhaps a choice of pellet vs. slug situation for different damage types?

Could be cool, but thematically are Ogryns even smart enough to switch different types of ammunition? Or understand when the best time to swap ammo types would be?

Maybe, Maybe not, but if that sort of thing is what determines whether or not they have a rule, anything can be invented to suit that purpose. Flipping a switch that switches between two ammo types within the drum, having a commander/handler command them to do it, etc.