9th Ed. Wishlist?

Lord Robertsen

New tanks this ed don't have a good record so far:sad.:

Sisters getting the predator type tank, what a pile of tripe that turned out to be:laugh.:

Then marines new flying/floating primaris tanks, don't see many of them in lists:ermm:

and thanks to no love at all for guard, we already have a pile of useless bs4 tanks available from fw:tongue.:

Hopefully it will be great and not just another bs4 cannon glued to some over costed heavy bolters:tongue.: :laugh.:  

Yep. It's mainly just GW seriously overvaluing both their durability and firepower. Even at 150 points the Sister Castigator is pretty sad. The problem is something like the Castigator can't really drop anymore. For example a Rhino is 80 points, the Castigator shares the Rhino statline except for +1 wound. So you can kind of workout what the Castigator would cost by just adding weapons to the Rhino. IE:

Rhino 80 points

-5 from no stormbolter

+40 from Castigator autocannons, equivalent to 4 autocannons

+30 from 3 heavy bolters 

Which comes to 145 points. You could either justify that extra wound costs 5 points bringing the Castigator up to 150 that it is now or you could say the Castigator should drop another 5 points. Which would be nice, but won't do much to make it viable.

You can do similar for other Rhino based vehicles, for example:

Adepta Sororitas:

- Immolator: That's just a Rhino with 3 heavy bolters. Which would be around 105 points, 75 + 30. Which is 5 points less than current. Again, you could maybe try to justify the +1 wound to make up those 5 points, but unlike the Castigator the Immolator gives up 4 transport slots to get those weapons. As for the other options with the Immolation flamers it'd be 115, and the multi-meltas it would be 125 points.

Space Marines:

- Razorback: Just a Rhino with 2 heavy bolters. So it should be around 95 points. With the assault cannon and lascannon versions being 105. 

- Predator Annihilator: Just a Rhino with 2 lascannons, so it should also be around 105 points. With the heavy bolter sponsons should be around 125 points and with the lascannons 135 points.

- Predator Destructor: A Rhino with 2 autocannons, but these autocannons have flat 3 damage so we'll say 5 more points to each autocannon making them the same as a lascannon cost (15 each for a total of 30 points). Which works out to be the same as above. 

- Baal Predator: This one's a bit harder to work out than the other Predators, at least for the Baal flamestorm cannon. I'd probably put the flamestorm cannon around 20 points, which would make the Baal Predator with no other upgrades around 95 points. With heavy bolter or heavy flamer sponsons it'd be 115 points and lascannons it'd be 125 points. The assault cannon variant would be the same as the Annihilator and Destructor versions, 105 - 135 points. 

You can do the same thing for Guard and vehicles based on the Chimera platform. The Russ is harder, but I've done math posts on it in other topics. The Russ compared to an Onager Dunecrawler would be around:

- Vanquisher: 110 points. 

- Eradicator: 115 points.

- Exterminator: 115 points. 

- Executioner: 120 points.

- Battle Tank: 125 points.

- Demolisher: 130 points.

- Punisher: 130 points. 

This is including the hull heavy bolter. It's actually quite sad how overvalued the Russ is right now. Especially when the Onager Dunecrawler isn't even considered a meta vehicle. 

Edited by jarms48

How much are we wiling to pay for leman russes?

150 with guns & sposons on a regular and 200 for a commander?

Commanders aren't worth their cost anymore. They do alright damage still, but they're not durable at all. Basically glass cannons. To answer that question let me quote myself. 

You can do the same thing for Guard and vehicles based on the Chimera platform. The Russ is harder, but I've done math posts on it in other topics. The Russ compared to an Onager Dunecrawler would be around:

- Vanquisher: 110 points. 

- Eradicator: 115 points.

- Exterminator: 115 points. 

- Executioner: 120 points.

- Battle Tank: 125 points.

- Demolisher: 130 points.

- Punisher: 130 points. 

This is including the hull heavy bolter. It's actually quite sad how overvalued the Russ is right now. Especially when the Onager Dunecrawler isn't even considered a meta vehicle. 

As for sponson upgrades. It should be:

+20 points for 2 heavy bolters or heavy flamers.

+30 points for 2 plasma cannons.

+40 points for 2 multi-meltas. 

I see no reason for GW to charge higher prices for heavy weapons on vehicles and infantry. They should be the same. The ability to ignore heavy modifiers while moving and the ability to shoot into combat should be factored into the datasheet. Not every individual weapon. 

As for Tank Commanders, I'd just make them a flat cost + whichever variant you choose. Such as 50 points + cost of Leman Russ. Though I'd also give Tank Commanders 2 orders and an 18" order range, minimum. To make them actually viable at buffing other vehicles than themselves. Which means using my suggestions above would make a Vanquisher Tank Commander 160 points and a Demolisher Tank Commander 180 points. This is assuming the current datasheets and no changes.  

Edited by jarms48

Rumor engine indicates rough riders may be returning, if so I hope they provide riders in multiple styles/regiments, and maybe more than one mount type

I hope we get a command, commissar and platoon command as well. Oh, and at least two different builds so we can field more than 3 squads..or make them troops Yes, make them troops!  

I am torn: I don't know if I want plastic Death Riders or plastic generic Rough Riders...

I’d imagine it’ll be a duel kit for Krieg and Cadians. Cadians are clearly going to survive due to the Kasrkn set coming.

Aren't Rough Riders legends? My bet on Death riders as the DKK is the new Guard

I hope you’re right, it does seem the logical step given how popular Krieg are on the Forgeworld site.

I still feel sorry for the Mordian, Valhallan, Vostroyan etc collectors still but really excited about the Krieg range!

I had so much hope for 9th.  Now I just want them to start over.  Overly complex and muddy rules have piled on to the point of complete opacity for new players. I can't in good conscience recommend 40k to new players the rules alone cost 1000$ and require a wheelbarrow to transport. That sucks.  Bring on 10th as soon as possible. 

rough riders are legends, doesn’t mean they can’t be brought back to the codex though.

GW’s unwritten rule is no models, no formal rules/support. Rough riders are a fairly popular unit, so it makes sense to bring them back.

rough riders are legends, doesn’t mean they can’t be brought back to the codex though.

GW’s unwritten rule is no models, no formal rules/support. Rough riders are a fairly popular unit, so it makes sense to bring them back.

Yeah. geedubs had been messing the game up in past enough to assume they can return RRs. But this 'rule' is VERY unstable. It works if either models are going to be updated or replaced, like SM Bike Chaplain (which happens most of the time), or they worked the casting forms to the state of cheese and have no back up. They need sales, and DKK is the new 'face of the Guard' now, new toys which were only a wet dream for many players because of prices FW sold them for.

<troll mode>

It looks like an orcish construct, cause it's going to work only if an ork is wishing it to work. Frag-grenade is after the peircing part, which will lead to explosion on the outer side of the target, that in most cases must kill the operator too. And only orcs don't really care about such things.

</troll mode>

Edited by Shamansky

Yep this. Though it could be plastic death riders. There were rumours of them. As there's updated art of them, which apparently GW only do art of current models. 

Come to think of it I would want to see heavy weapons in infantry squads again. I don't know, make them all cost 5pts or something like that but I just think it looked good when our infnatry squads had heavy bolters or missile launchers.

Another thing - give cool rules to the kill team vets. For example:

Medic - gives a 5+++ to the squad

Demo Expert - has a demo pack shot

Comms expert/spotter - can markerlight an enemy unit, thus giving any artillery shooting at said unit +1 to hit.

The models are amazing and it wouldn't be hard to make a generic/cadian upgrade sprue with these options for the other regiments.

Edited by Plague _Lord

Come to think of it I would want to see heavy weapons in infantry squads again. I don't know, make them all cost 5pts or something like that but I just think it looked good when our infnatry squads had heavy bolters or missile launchers.

Another thing - give cool rules to the kill team vets. For example:

Medic - gives a 5+++ to the squad

Demo Expert - has a demo pack shot

Comms expert/spotter - can markerlight an enemy unit, thus giving any artillery shooting at said unit +1 to hit.

The models are amazing and it wouldn't be hard to make a generic/cadian upgrade sprue with these options for the other regiments.

I want the 3rd Ed wheeled HWT back. Those looked way better than the tripod weapons we have now imho

So I have an idea to make RRs a bit more interesting than I remember

RR 2-5 M9” S3 T3 WS3+ BS4+ W2 A2 Sv5+ LD6

RR Sarge same but +1 A and LD

Now here I suggest a standard tacitcal load out

All RRs are armed with a las pistol and chainsword

Sarge may replace pistol with plas or bolt pistol

Sarge may replace chainsword with power sword or power fist

Up to 2 RRs may replace their pistol and chainsword for a plasma gun or melta gun

OR

up to 2 RRs may replace their las pistols with hand flamers.

Then lancer loadout

All RRs have lances, las pistols, and chainswords.

Lance S* AP-2 D 2

*S is user plus however many inches the unit charged this turn. This weapon inflicts 1MW on a 5+ to hit roll. This weapon can only be used in the first round of combat.

What’s a fair base point cost? 10ppm?

5pts per lance?

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

I think RR would be interesting if they had a piece of wargear you could purchase (let's say 10pts per squad) that would let them do an action and still shoot. Would make adding plasma/melta to RRs more of an option and would fullfill their role of forward scouts well.

Actually, I just remembered back in the glory days of Cityfight we could take single snipers, that would be nice, a unit of snipers sat in a building within a few feet of each other doesnt really feel right to me.

If I recall sniper rifles are special weapons? Shift them to heavy and bring back the heavy weapon splitting off from your squads. 

Actually, I just remembered back in the glory days of Cityfight we could take single snipers, that would be nice, a unit of snipers sat in a building within a few feet of each other doesnt really feel right to me.

If I recall sniper rifles are special weapons? Shift them to heavy and bring back the heavy weapon splitting off from your squads.

depends. For the super bowl here in the US you’ll have at least 3 snipers inside the stadium and likely 6 more on top of the exterior of the stadium. SWAT snipers may post up 2-3 in a building depending on the situation, and US army snipers always work in teams as I believe do USMC snipers.

SEALs often work alone when acting as snipers however.

Here you can see at least two rifles on tripods in one of the pictures

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/sport/superbowl-snipers-nest/

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

depends. For the super bowl here in the US you’ll have at least 3 snipers inside the stadium and likely 6 more on top of the exterior of the stadium. SWAT snipers may post up 2-3 in a building depending on the situation, and US army snipers always work in teams as I believe do USMC snipers.

SEALs often work alone when acting as snipers however.

Here you can see at least two rifles on tripods in one of the pictures

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/sport/superbowl-snipers-nest/

True but when they are fighting on a planet with stuff like Titans running around and the unit coherency being roughly a couple of meters apart in the real world I wouldnt have all my snipers so close. Im not saying do away with Sniper squads, I use them myself, but give us another way to take them, thats why I said move them to heavy and bring back the heavy weapon rule where you could break the gunner and loader off from the squad to give fire support. That way we could have a couple of small sniper teams taking shots without a whole squad standing around, could give us a reason to start taking them in infantry squads again.