9th Ed. Wishlist?

Lord Robertsen

Make Ogyns 20points each and their guns DMG 2 and I think they would be viable.

That would be awesome. Perhaps a choice of pellet vs. slug situation for different damage types?

Could be cool, but thematically are Ogryns even smart enough to switch different types of ammunition? Or understand when the best time to swap ammo types would be?

Maybe, Maybe not, but if that sort of thing is what determines whether or not they have a rule, anything can be invented to suit that purpose. Flipping a switch that switches between two ammo types within the drum, having a commander/handler command them to do it, etc.

I could see them rolling a commissar into the unit to keep the Ogryn focused on the matters at hand during combat. Or just add a few layers of rules to the Ogryn to buff them better/uniquely by being near Officers and commissars. something helpful but not mandatory would be nice.

It would take a lot for ogryn to become viable, one thing that would be a great help is if the shield of flesh stratagem protected more than just one infantry unit, like if it gave a -1 to hit in an area around it if the ogryn are the closest unit to the shooter, and protected vehicles as well

The ripper gun has is limited in bursts just for avoiding Ogryns from empty the magazine in one burst... I dont think they could ever have the intelligence to be able to even think that could exist more than one type of ammo :D

Such things are mutable, is my point, and the rules need not be limited by a perspective like this.

Just in case GW stooges are lurking I just want to reiterate that the exterminator needs to have some sort of buff. A real buff not just a points decrease.

it is asking for 'Heavy 8' since the start of 8th edition
Waaaayyy more than that. Ork dakkajetz have 36 shots, scrapjets have like 15. Even with their BS of 5, thats 5 hits, so were talking like 20 shots for a LRBT since its a heavy suport slot.

*edit: I :cuss hate mobile...

Edited by duz_
Don't dodge the swear filter

Heavy 8 would be 16 shots, that would be decent. It would also be really nice for Tallarn to have a decent turret weapon that isn’t D6 shots, their tank order is great but no access to reroll number of shots can be a real let down. And since the exterminator autocannon isn’t blast, with more shots it could have a similar utility to the punisher in simply shooting off the annoying critters that try to gum up its tracks in close combat Edited by Diagramdude

Waaaayyy more than that. Ork dakkajetz have 36 shots, scrapjets have like 15. Even with their BS of 5, thats 5 hits, so were talking like 20 shots for a LRBT since its a heavy suport slot.

*edit: I :censored: hate mobile...

Ya know, i agree. Heavy 8 AND reroll to-hit would be nice

I like this idea 

-Drop TCs as HQs (Except Pask), they shouldn't be needed

- Take Aim!  is +1 to hit, BID is +1 to wound, lasts until next command phase (including overwatch!) :devil:

- the TC becomes a squadron commander, and his platoon members within 6" is re-roll wounds (a la lieutenant), but the TC can also give orders to his platoon.

So you have a choice, either do +1 to wound or +1 to hit.  If you know you're going to get charged, do +1 to hit, otherwise +1 to wound.

We still have 2 major drawbacks, 1 - with the official GW boards and the amount of terrain on the boards, we don't have much shooting opportunity and 2 - we still suck in HtH.

So we need ways of still being effective shooters and still do something in the melee phase.  We don't have move-shoot-move, and we don't have shenanigans to prevent our opponents from implementing their strategy.  We just need to pound them to dust while they're doing it :teehee:

In my vision, I see IG as just a giant slow-rolling death ball.  Unlike DG, which rely on durabiltiy, we have layers.  Each individual layers is almost like chaff, but the problem is we've got another layer behind it, and another layer behind that.  We have arty to pound their back lines, forcing them forward into our guns, while scions & valkyries steal their back objectives.  Our infantry & Demo Cannon LRBTs contest the middle, while LRBTs pound supporting units and anything that gets over-exposed.  By taking infantry in platoons (along with HWTs), we can screen our backfield while providing support for the mid-field units.

I like this idea

-Drop TCs as HQs (Except Pask), they shouldn't be needed

- Take Aim! is +1 to hit, BID is +1 to wound, lasts until next command phase (including overwatch!) :devil:

- the TC becomes a squadron commander, and his platoon members within 6" is re-roll wounds (a la lieutenant), but the TC can also give orders to his platoon.

So you have a choice, either do +1 to wound or +1 to hit. If you know you're going to get charged, do +1 to hit, otherwise +1 to wound.

We still have 2 major drawbacks, 1 - with the official GW boards and the amount of terrain on the boards, we don't have much shooting opportunity and 2 - we still suck in HtH.

So we need ways of still being effective shooters and still do something in the melee phase. We don't have move-shoot-move, and we don't have shenanigans to prevent our opponents from implementing their strategy. We just need to pound them to dust while they're doing it :teehee:

In my vision, I see IG as just a giant slow-rolling death ball. Unlike DG, which rely on durabiltiy, we have layers. Each individual layers is almost like chaff, but the problem is we've got another layer behind it, and another layer behind that. We have arty to pound their back lines, forcing them forward into our guns, while scions & valkyries steal their back objectives. Our infantry & Demo Cannon LRBTs contest the middle, while LRBTs pound supporting units and anything that gets over-exposed. By taking infantry in platoons (along with HWTs), we can screen our backfield while providing support for the mid-field units.

to make IG competitive I think we need buffs for numbers.

For example if a unit has 10+ models in it, it gets to reroll 1s or something

You are correct in that we need numbers.  More troops, more tanks, more effective units, etc.

I'm not a fan of re-rolls "just because".  Furthermore, I'm not sure that fits because Guard have a hierarchical structure, which we should leverage.  Our Company Commander isn't a melee beast, and shouldn't be leading from the front (even catachan) to provide re-rolls as (s)he is far too squishy.  But the presence of a CC should dictate how the army is going to function, and where to focus fire.

Our platoon commanders, infantry, LRBT squadron leaders, etc.  should be providing the re-rolls because they lead from the front.  They should also provide Orders for the same reason.  It's still a question if they should provide re-rolls to-hit or to-wound, the standard is re-rolls to wound.  With BS of 4 we swing wildly from whiffing to obliteration every turn.   It averages out over the course of the game, but if we whiff turns 1 & 2 we've already lost. 

You are correct in that we need numbers. More troops, more tanks, more effective units, etc.

I'm not a fan of re-rolls "just because". Furthermore, I'm not sure that fits because Guard have a hierarchical structure, which we should leverage. Our Company Commander isn't a melee beast, and shouldn't be leading from the front (even catachan) to provide re-rolls as (s)he is far too squishy. But the presence of a CC should dictate how the army is going to function, and where to focus fire.

Our platoon commanders, infantry, LRBT squadron leaders, etc. should be providing the re-rolls because they lead from the front. They should also provide Orders for the same reason. It's still a question if they should provide re-rolls to-hit or to-wound, the standard is re-rolls to wound. With BS of 4 we swing wildly from whiffing to obliteration every turn. It averages out over the course of the game, but if we whiff turns 1 & 2 we've already lost.

i justify rerolling 1s as a way to represent the massed fire of full auto lasguns.

I very much doubt we'd get buff-auras AND keep orders in the same characters. And given the choice I much prefer orders, because they are just more flexible.

I'm also feeling highly allergic to going back to TCs being part of a squad if the squad then needs to stay as one unit throughout the game. Cause then when you tag one tank in CC, all of them are shut down.

What would make sense though is to make the TC part of the HS choice of a Leman Russ squadron instead of it being a separate HQ choice. Still have them act as separate units after deployment, but give them stronger buffs than now that o ly affect their squad when in close proximity to each other. Spearhead detachments can maybe get an exception, so we don't lose the option of running pure armoured armies.

We also need an ability/order/strat to either allow tanks to fall back and shoot or to fire blast weapons into engagament range.

What would make sense though is to make the TC part of the HS choice of a Leman Russ squadron instead of it being a separate HQ choice. Still have them act as separate units after deployment, but give them stronger buffs than now that o ly affect their squad when in close proximity to each other. Spearhead detachments can maybe get an exception, so we don't lose the option of running pure armoured armies.

We also need an ability/order/strat to either allow tanks to fall back and shoot or to fire blast weapons into engagament range.

This and count all vehicles as having Vox

It would take a lot for ogryn to become viable, one thing that would be a great help is if the shield of flesh stratagem protected more than just one infantry unit, like if it gave a -1 to hit in an area around it if the ogryn are the closest unit to the shooter, and protected vehicles as well

Honestly, if Ogryns were 20 points per model they'd be alright. Give them and Bullgryns the new bodyguard ability, remove the Ogryn Bodyguard datasheet, then also give Ripper Guns +1 AP at half range. 

Honestly, if Ogryns were 20 points per model they'd be alright. Give them and Bullgryns the new bodyguard ability, remove the Ogryn Bodyguard datasheet, then also give Ripper Guns +1 AP at half range. 

I'm not sure what the new bodyguard agility is. can you elaborate. 

New bodyguard rule is like super Look Out Sir. You cannot target an enemy character (with 9 wounds or less) with ranged attacks whilst they are within range of a body guard unit. Even if there is only 1 model left in the bodyguard unit. Even if the character is in front of the bodyguard unit. Even if the character is out in the open but the bodyguard is totally out of line of sight. 

Its an absolutely horrible rule that gets abused a lot. There is a whole Dark Angels list built around 2-3 un-targetable Talon masters that stand out in the open firing away and you cant do anything about it because of the bodyguards. However, its out now and several factions have it and abuse, so Guard should also get access to it. 

I'm not sure it would be all that useful for us...like which of our characters do you need to make untargetable that aren't small enough to hide from LOS anyway? Our Psykers are the only ones that really need LOS and is that really worth it?

And they're not going to let Bullgrys bodyguard Tank Commanders again.