9th Ed. Wishlist?

Lord Robertsen

I think people should be able to deploy nearer to Ratlings, not exactly stealthy when one of them is complaining about second breakfast (or lack of) whilst waving around a well seasoned chicken leg, you will smell them before you see them. 

5 hours ago, Brainpsyk said:

I've been tinkering with an idea for Ratlings.  Let them do the normal 9" infiltrate, but also give them a special rule where enemy models can't pre-game move within 9", or, if the enemy does pre-game move within 9" or set up as reinforcements within 12" they take d3 MWs. 

That would be HUGE for board screening, denying RND and/or Engage.

As for the Baneblade size, I usually make an agreement with my opponent that tanks can fit thru large gaps, even if the model doesn't actually fit.  None of my opponents have ever had an issue with that, though admittedly I don't play in tournaments.

can you explain your thoughts behind this whole mortal wounds thing?

14 hours ago, Brainpsyk said:

I've been tinkering with an idea for Ratlings.  Let them do the normal 9" infiltrate, but also give them a special rule where enemy models can't pre-game move within 9", or, if the enemy does pre-game move within 9" or set up as reinforcements within 12" they take d3 MWs. 

The infiltrate rule already prevents enemies from deploying within 9 inch of units. So putting Ratlings in the middle of the board then prevents other infiltrators deploying near them. Works both ways though, so if you lose the roll-off means it's harder for you. 

Edited by jarms48

i wish that we get some variety back, as it is now the Codex more or less only consist of three units. Manticore, Tank Commander and Infantry Squads. Every other Unit is deemed unplayable.

Maybe when we get extra crazy we could get some special formations for themed Armys with buffs and some restirictions.

Like you could choose to play a Mechanized Force, every Infantry Unit you take, must also take a Transport, but you get a Special rule like disembark from the Transport after it moved.

There could be many possibilitys

a Tank Company, an Infantry Regiment, a airborne force,....

just make sure that every Formation comes with a Price and a Benefit. Let's never repeat the Chaos of 7.Ed with it's Formations and Free stuff.

Edited by domsto

4 hours ago, domsto said:

i wish that we get some variety back, as it is now the Codex more or less only consist of three units. Manticore, Tank Commander and Infantry Squads. Every other Unit is deemed unplayable.

Maybe when we get extra crazy we could get some special formations for themed Armys with buffs and some restirictions.

Like you could choose to play a Mechanized Force, every Infantry Unit you take, must also take a Transport, but you get a Special rule like disembark from the Transport after it moved.

There could be many possibilitys

a Tank Company, an Infantry Regiment, a airborne force,....

just make sure that every Formation comes with a Price and a Benefit. Let's never repeat the Chaos of 7.Ed with it's Formations and Free stuff.

Seconded, it's a long shot but I'd like to see the variety of artillery we had in 5th ed make a return in plastic (griffon, medusa, colossus). Given the staggering variety of the guard in the lore it's a bit dissapointing to have everything feel so similar. I'd like the command squad to feel useful again, it's an incredibly thematic unit and I love the idea but they're rarerly worth it these days. 

On 7/6/2022 at 7:41 AM, Shamansky said:

I wish the limit for Aircrafts to be changed so , that air-mobile infantry could become a viable option. And Aerial Drop ability became one of the doctrines, no just scions' special rule

A simple movement of Valkyries out of "Flyers" and in to "Dedicated transports" would be nice.

Yeah I meant seeing them in plastic with other crew members other than Krieg. My bad for not elaborating properly. 

30 minutes ago, SteveAntilles said:

What artillery is only Krieg?

4 minutes ago, Jud Cottrell said:

I think he meant that the kits were Krieg only.

Imperial Armour artillery is for everyone but the models are Krieg.

I’m properly into my artillery and I’d like to see more variety! 

19 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

can you explain your thoughts behind this whole mortal wounds thing?

Conceptually, it's the Ratlings sniping as enemies move forward.  Normally, reserves/deepstrike etc. can't move within 9" of any other unit, but that doesn't apply to pre-game moves (though admittedly, my local meta is mostly marines).  So while we normally zone out deepstrikers, pre-game movers just move into the zone.  The d3 MWs present a choice to our opponents, move into the zone and take d3 MWs, or stay out of it.  Proper placement of ratlings can force opponents to move into fire lanes.  It's one of those things where a little bit goes a long way. 

17 hours ago, jarms48 said:

The infiltrate rule already prevents enemies from deploying within 9 inch of units. So putting Ratlings in the middle of the board then prevents other infiltrators deploying near them. Works both ways though, so if you lose the roll-off means it's harder for you. 

I forgot to add ratlings deploy first. 

7 hours ago, Brainpsyk said:

Conceptually, it's the Ratlings sniping as enemies move forward.  Normally, reserves/deepstrike etc. can't move within 9" of any other unit, but that doesn't apply to pre-game moves (though admittedly, my local meta is mostly marines).  So while we normally zone out deepstrikers, pre-game movers just move into the zone.  The d3 MWs present a choice to our opponents, move into the zone and take d3 MWs, or stay out of it.  Proper placement of ratlings can force opponents to move into fire lanes.  It's one of those things where a little bit goes a long way. 

I forgot to add ratlings deploy first. 

Why would this be unique to ratlings and no other sniper?

why would guard snipers be particularly good at spotting the enemy sneakies?

just kinda seems like a desperate measure to make a relatively pointless unit have a point.

I hope we get a boost to our list construction options. It’s very taxing to bring multiple detachments now. Maybe have a rule where a scion patrol or battalion can be included alongside a regiment detachment for no cost. Or taking multiple copies of a datasheet can be folded into a single slot, so you could cram three company commanders and three tank commanders into two HQ slots.

13 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Why would this be unique to ratlings and no other sniper?

why would guard snipers be particularly good at spotting the enemy sneakies?

just kinda seems like a desperate measure to make a relatively pointless unit have a point.

You're not wrong.  But unlike dudes in powered armor, Ratlings are 'Naturally Stealthy', and not wearing a ton (literally...) of armor.  Without ObSec, they're just a unit we take so we can start with an infiltrator unit to get the CP in that mission, so Ratlings are little more than a tax. 

I want my units to do something.  Anything that says 'this unit has a purpose', rather than just a tax or another screening unit.  Area denial, MWs, something that makes my opponents pause, etc.  Anything beyond 'useless tax'.

10 hours ago, Diagramdude said:

I hope we get a boost to our list construction options. It’s very taxing to bring multiple detachments now. Maybe have a rule where a scion patrol or battalion can be included alongside a regiment detachment for no cost. Or taking multiple copies of a datasheet can be folded into a single slot, so you could cram three company commanders and three tank commanders into two HQ slots.

I want platoons back.  Infantry platoons, tank platoons, etc.  Personally, I want everything but HQs & Elites to be in platoons/squadrons.  Then a single battallion is more than we'd ever need except for the scions.  Even then, a single Patrol would be enough for the scions. 

Would it be selfish to ask for shotguns to get a buff?

I feel like either 18” S3 +1S at half range

or

12” S4 2D would be acceptable and could get people to take them other than just to have a cool looking unit.

i forgot about them until the leak because there’s been no actual models for so long and they’re not even in the convo for anything ever.

make them options for veterans, command squads, officers, and sarges.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

2 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Would it be selfish to ask for shotguns to get a buff?

I feel like either 18” S3 +1S at half range

or

12” S4 2D would be acceptable and could get people to take them other than just to have a cool looking unit.

i forgot about them until the leak because there’s been no actual models for so long and they’re not even in the convo for anything ever.

make them options for veterans, command squads, officers, and sarges.

Krieg Combat Engineers already have pretty tasty shotguns! Assault 3 Str4 with HotE is handy!

Slave to Darkness, can’t beat a shovel!

On 7/9/2022 at 3:40 AM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Should we have a light MLRS vehicle?

I mean yes we have the taurox with missile launcher but that’s not available to normal guard, so if the prime stays scion locked should regular guard get a light MLRS, something like a katushya, or grad?

Taurox launcher doesn't look rulewise like an MLRS. Your examples cover quite big territories with one salvo. Such vehicle was possible in the game when Multiple Barrage rule was a thing and Manticore and Wyvern were somewhat cosplaying such a weapon. Now, when templates are gone, i don't think it is possible to represent the havoc and devastation MLRS brings upon area.

Edited by Shamansky

6 hours ago, Shamansky said:

Taurox launcher doesn't look rulewise like an MLRS. Your examples cover quite big territories with one salvo. Such vehicle was possible in the game when Multiple Barrage rule was a thing and Manticore and Wyvern were somewhat cosplaying such a weapon. Now, when templates are gone, i don't think it is possible to represent the havoc and devastation MLRS brings upon area.

I think it would still be possible. Just a bit more thought is necessary.

Say for example

heavy9 S5 AP-2 D2

“this weapon may target up to 3 units with 3 shots each as long as each targeted unit is within 6” of another targeted unit.”

That way you still get an area effect weapon that has the potential to hit a large are of the board, or potential to just completely delete one ‘grid square’ in the form of 9 S5 shots on a single target.

Interesting approach 

Would be nice to see that on more of our artillery in general. An alternative could be the pick a point on the board every unit within 6-12" of that point suffers X hits. Whether that be a fixed or variable number.

The Taroux seems a bit small to have such large area effect weapons unless it was one use only or lost transport capacity. 

Maybe a compromise would be a mobile mortar launcher:

S4, D1, AP0, Blast. Pick a spot on the board any unit within 6" make d6 attacks (ie you'd still have to roll to hit). That would still be pretty impressive and on par with the substandard Wyvren. 

I'd like the Wyvren to get ignores cover back. Maybe a similar mechanic to the above, but maybe 2D6 shots for every unit within 6". S4, D1, AP-1 and on a 6 to hit its an auto wound, or maybe on a 6 to wound its a MW + regular damage.