'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

We're all currently in solo mode by the look of things, unfortunately.

@Lysimachus, would you mind re-pasting all of the enemy stats again in a spoilered section for the round 2 map + action order post like you did for round 1? Please and thank you.

From a purist perspective we're not *really* supposed to see the stats of our opponents as players, but I certainly appreciate the effort as a means to streamline combat and keep things moving at a reasonable pace.

Edited by Necronaut

@Necro: added! Yeah, it's not really the way it's done, but realistically if a player knows the game they can look up or figure out a pretty good estimate of the profiles of any given unit. I just figure it saves everybody time? :D

If people would prefer not to know, I'll stop adding them though?

@MG/Mazer: I think Draak would need the Burst of Speed to get in (assuming he wants to actually Charge rather than just Run into Engagement Range).

Also, don't forget that the Ratings can hurt Draak, as he's well out of range of the extra AP14 from Odysseus' shield?

@Necro: added! Yeah, it's not really the way it's done, but realistically if a player knows the game they can look up or figure out a pretty good estimate of the profiles of any given unit. I just figure it saves everybody time? :biggrin.:

If people would prefer not to know, I'll stop adding them though?

I'm fine with you doing it. Necro is just being lazy, I mean All the information is only 1 Page back.

From a purist perspective we're not *really* supposed to see the stats of our opponents as players, but I certainly appreciate the effort as a means to streamline combat and keep things moving at a reasonable pace.

@Necro: added! Yeah, it's not really the way it's done, but realistically if a player knows the game they can look up or figure out a pretty good estimate of the profiles of any given unit. I just figure it saves everybody time? :biggrin.:

There's an argument to be had for the profiles etc to be known, or visible (I'm happy either way, as I've done it both ways), since most if not all Astartes have Common Lores, which would give them some idea of the nature of the adversaries they were facing.

A human with a shotgun is a human with a shotgun - and we'd know the range, the munitions etc.

With stuff no-one has ever seen before, there's certainly the option to withhold the information as it will be trial and error on a lethal learning curve.  Perhaps something for a future encounter? :wink:

@MG, are you telling me you don't like everything in one place - you know...for efficiency?  The Bullgryns are Unnat Tough x 2 as well mate, total TB 10.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

@MG: Draak's Actions look fine, but just one step missing: the Cohesion Challenge (crb pg.212). If successful, everyone can join Squad Mode as a Free Action. Then whoever has chosen to join can benefit from Squad Actions like Bolter Assault.

Edit: As Mazer says, they're TB10 plus Armour, but I can add all of that stuff when I do a Summary post.

Edited by Lysimachus

@MG: Draak's Actions look fine, but just one step missing: the Cohesion Challenge (crb pg.212). If successful, everyone can join Squad Mode as a Free Action. Then whoever has chosen to join can benefit from Squad Actions like Bolter Assault.

Edit: As Mazer says, they're TB10 plus Armour, but I can add all of that stuff when I do a Summary post.

Just a quickie GM, you are correct, the step is required, but a Squad Leader can drop into SQD for free, once per mission.  "Benefits of Being A Squad Leader" sidebar.  Core P.228.

Up to MG if he uses that though..!  Choose wisely MG!

Edited by Mazer Rackham

@MG, by copying over the enemy data over to each successive start-of-round post, Lysimachus is saving all of us time/effort/clicks to navigate back and forth for the necessary numbers. Work smarter, not harder, I say. ;)

I really appreciate the effort Lysimachus has put into this game so far, and I do agree from a practical standpoint that (in-universe) an Astartes would be able to make a reasonably accurate threat assessment from fairly minimal data, such that any meta-gaming can be handwaved away, particularly with regard to what the forces of the Imperium would be able to field against them. Also, obviously, with everyone having immediate access to any enemy combatant profile it becomes a moot point anyway; the intent of my comment was only to highlight that I was somewhat conflicted over it while offering no particular solution of my own. Unsolicited commentary and all that. I certainly meant no offense. Sorry I brought it up.

Edit: and to be fair, our GM has actually obfuscated enemy statistics when/where appropriate in previous scenarios. Sorry for derailing the OOC thread!

Edited by Necronaut

I didn't see the bit about Cohesion Challenges, every day's a school day especially with FFG.

So Damage minus TGH Bonus of 10 plus Armour (If its Greater than Pen! [ Carapace 6 - Pen 6 = 0]).

I really appreciate the effort Lysimachus has put into this game so far, and I do agree from a practical standpoint that (in-universe) an Astartes would be able to make a reasonably accurate threat assessment from fairly minimal data, such that any meta-gaming can be handwaved away, particularly with regard to what the forces of the Imperium would be able to array against them. Also, obviously, with everyone having immediate access to any enemy combatant profile it becomes a moot point anyway; the intent of my comment was only to highlight that I was somewhat conflicted over it while offering no particular solution of my own. Unsolicited commentary and all that. I certainly meant no offense. Sorry I brought it up.

Emphasis mine - no mate, do not be sorry.  I for one thought the logical exercise was worth exploring and generates options for our GM's.  People should feel able to speak freely within the Nook, (within reason and minus throwing of objects), I personally saw no offence in it at all, and just valid considerations.

Although just to touch on metagaming a bit, perhaps to clarify my position, it shouldn't all be hand waved of course.  The hard-core powergamer munchkinning should be dissuaded hard.  Encounter-wise for the most part, until PC's come across real oddball stuff, you can use the blend of OOC knowledge to smooth over (as a GM) what the players will certainly know, and the disconnect might otherwise end up a bit clunky.

If that makes any sense?

@MG: Yep, it's Carapace 6 plus a hit on the Body is +5 for the Slabshield, minus Pen5 for the Heavy Bolter, total of 6.

@Necro/Mazer: Yep, no offence taken at all! :) It's a valid thought, and I'll definitely be thinking about some weird and wonderful opponents for the future! :D

@Mazer, we're on the same page. Part of my issue is I grew up, as an RPG player, playing D&D, a setting in which the party is composed of vaguely useful peasant mercenaries who have been sent out into a very dangerous world wherein you're not *supposed* to know what to expect save for that which you learn about your foes in situ. Really it's a function of how I was taught to play RPGs, as opposed to the actual practicality of it. For every combat encounter in Plunder so far I have had to take a step back and remind myself that what Lysimachus is doing with his game is absolutely fine and that I need to just let it go. And then laugh at myself a bit for being so myopic.

@MG: Yep, it's Carapace 6 plus a hit on the Body is +5 for the Slabshield, minus Pen5 for the Heavy Bolter, total of 6.

@Necro/Mazer: Yep, no offence taken at all! :smile.: It's a valid thought, and I'll definitely be thinking about some weird and wonderful opponents for the future! :biggrin.:

@Lysimachus - Ooh a special Slab Shield that protects the front and Back at the same time?

Draak is Behind the Bullgryn.

Edited by Machine God

As an aside, is Vesalius in any danger of taking damage from Draak's krak grenade considering the thing has a Blast (1) profile? Or is that effectively handled by his successful throw and not needing to consult the grenade scatter table?

@Necro, yeah, I get you 100%.

Running say Only War or a Dark Heresy game for example, your PC's should be spending some of the time going:

"What the hell is this...?"

And if your Players are bricking it too?  That's the magic.

@MG, you want Core, Chapter XIII, P358. "Adversaries".  The whole section should provide some detail - but some of the wording is...wonky.

As an aside, is Vesalius in any danger of taking damage from Draak's krak grenade considering the thing has a Blast (1) profile? Or is that effectively handled by his successful throw and not needing to consult the grenade scatter table?

@Necro - Not a chance. Krak Grenades don't have Blast.

@Necro/Mazer: Yep, no offence taken at all! :smile.: It's a valid thought, and I'll definitely be thinking about some weird and wonderful opponents for the future! :biggrin.:

@Lysimachus - Except Draak threw a Krak Grenade from behind.