'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

Sorry all, had to step away to deal with some RL stuff.

@Lysimachus - Except Draak threw a Krak Grenade from behind.

That is a very good point! :lol: Yep, in that case Carapace AP6 is cancelled out by Krak's Pen 6.

Right, so, who wants to join Squad Mode for the Bolter Assault?

If you do, post to that effect with your BA Actions, and remember you don't have to go in Initiative Order for this bit. Then once that is done we can go back to Draak for his normal Actions.

Sorry all, had to step away to deal with some RL stuff.

Hope it's all cool bud? :thumbsup:

Without AT's Brain BoostTM I think at this point, only Vesalius can join the BAST, but if he does, I think we all can...

Necro?

Thoughts?

I think that we need to wrap up the combat quick. If Draak had stayed in Solo he would have charged the Bullgryn and I could have triggered Part Three, but that would have tied him up into Round Three as well.

Things to consider:

1) We don't know how many rounds we have before the rest of the enemy ships turn up.

2) The Dagger armsmen are not just a Mob to be used to attack the enemy. They are also Tech-Thralls who can re-start the engines. We don't want them all getting killed.

I'd like to get Vesalius into squad-mode for sure, if for no other reason than to pour on some extra dakka.

Per the squad mode/cohesion rules, since we're all Rank 2, we need to be within short, visual range (30m or less) to maintain cohesion or otherwise be in squad mode. As it stands, only Vesalius is within line of sight of Draak, so per RAW only he should be able to join Draak in squad mode. However, should Draak instead choose to advance/run to put himself in melee range with Bullgryn 1, let's say for argument's sake, then he could attempt to get everyone within 30m, which should cover all of Cutlass at that point, into squad mode.

BUT, if we're generous with how visual range is defined (and even the book says the squad members don't need to have perfect line-of-sight with one another) and everyone can see Vesalius, and he can see Draak, then maybe it's fine? Lobbing this one into our GM's court.

I'm not exactly sure how Odysseus's psychic squad powers work, but I'm betting we would still need to have line-of-sight with one another to enter and maintain squad mode thanks to us being only Rank 2.

That's my .02 pounds sterling/dollars/denomination of choice.

Edited by Necronaut

I'm not exactly sure how Odysseus's psychic squad powers work, but I'm betting we would still need to have line-of-sight with one another to enter and maintain squad mode thanks to us being only Rank 2.

"We are all one" - from rites of battle

As long as Odysseus isn't leading the squad, but is in squad mode with the leader, the support range of squad mode is increased by one full category. So we would be treated as rank 4-6, vocal(rather than visual) distance of up to 60m.

Yes but we still have the challenge of getting him into squad mode with Draak in the first place given indirect line-of-sight, not to mention he would need to activate said psychic power too. This however might not be an issue depending on our handsome and illustrious GM's interpretation of the rules. ;)

Yes but we still have the challenge of getting him into squad mode with Draak in the first place given indirect line-of-sight, not to mention he would need to activate said psychic power too. This however might not be an issue depending on our handsome and illustrious GM's interpretation of the rules. :wink:

It's not a psychic power, it's just a regular talent that is themed/fluffed out as a minor psychic thing.  Still works perfectly well in a null zone, etc.

OK, been doing some reading!

The example box on crb.pg214 says that if someone uses a Squad Mode Ability, the only people that can use it are those with LoS and within 30m of him. To my mind that seems pretty clear that it describes a 30m radius around that character, not a daisy chain with 30m between him and the next character and another 30m to the next and so on. Errata pg4 under 'Changing Modes' seems to say the same. So, as things are, Necronaut is right that Vesalius is the only one who can join Draak's Squad Mode at this point and benefit from the Bolter Assault.

Now, Odysseus' Deed from RoB extends the Support Range to 60m Vocal but again I agree with Necro that RAW he needs to already be in Squad Mode with Draak for it to take effect? So, once Odysseus fulfils the normal requirements to join Draak's Squad Mode (30m, Visual), the Deed then immediately comes into effect and anyone in 60m Vocal Range could then join Squad Mode and benefit from Abilities.

That's all how I interpret RAW, although I'm not sure it's RAI

Edit: my gut feeling is to keep things simple and say you're all in 60m Vocal Range and can join Squad Mode if you wish...

Edit edit: Yep, I think that's how I'll do it. You need to be in Vocal 60m Range radius of Draak to join Squad Mode or benefit from Abilities (which you all currently are)

Edited by Lysimachus

One other thing: since none of us are in squad mode, we're gambling each time as to whether we can individually join squad mode this turn or have to wait until next turn. As such, we will preferentially want to delay declaring a squad-level action until the last possible moment so as to maximize the off-turn dakka, but we are really gambling as if we delay said action until Beren/Svelk's turn this round and he fails to pass the cohesion test, then we will lose out on the bonus action entirely. Just some food for thought (i.e.: roll low, lads!).

We don't need to pass the Cohesion Challenge, only the PC who initiates Squad Mode.  Once declared, and the Cohesion Challenge is passed (Not required if the Squad Leader is using his Leader privileges), you can just join it.

Core p.214, and Errata 1.1.

“Entering Squad Mode is an action that effects the group, not just an individual. If a Battle-Brother successfully enters Squad Mode all other Kill-team members within Support Range may (if they choose) immediately enter Squad Mode without using Full Action or passing a Cohesion Challenge.”

It's the Deathwatch version of: ":censored: it, we'll do it live."

I wish to applaud Draak and Brynjarr's callous disregard for Vesalius's safety and general well-being while hurling incendiaries and firing boltguns at the bullgryn with which he is shortly to be locked in a brutal life-or-death struggle. I would have done the same for both of you. :wink:

@Necro - Well roll high for damage and you might kill it. The Bullgryn's Unnatural Toughness of 10 will cancel out your Strength Bonus of 10.

I was intending to do a called shot and aim for the head so as to not endanger Vesalius, but on reading through the rules for bolter assault as best I could I concluded that that wasn’t a thing. Also nothing else was in line of sight to be shot I think.

Brynjarr is on his way to help out in melee, used the bolter assault move to get closer so that I can charge.

Photon grenades?

Yep, you can throw a grenade instead of fire a bolt round.  I think the idea is you could toss the grenade to try for a stun on the Bullgryns.

It's worth a go - although they are toughness 50, so it's an even split if it would work, with Unnat Tough x 2 which adds two DoS to any success on the test.

Did you take Photons?

Edited by Mazer Rackham