'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

Sorry Lysimachus I was wrong!

Rule 101: If you are going to quote rules to your GM make sure that you have read ALL the relevant parts that govern the thing that you are arguing about.

Edit: Post edited to remove negativity.

Edited by Machine God

What is going on in this thread, the last few days it seems to be all over the place.

This.  I'm not the GM, so I have to be careful in what I say, but let's all be cool.

I've tried to take the foot off the pedal myself, merely because I'm making (bloody schoolboy) mistakes (and Lysi has to put up with all my metacrap) - but that could also be down to the fact I've been very ill for four weeks (going on five).  That's what gets me to sleep at night anyway.

This game is very exciting opportunity to work together on something very special to our GM, and I know we're all trying to help the best we can, but let's take it easy.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Mazer Rackham

What is going on in this thread, the last few days it seems to be all over the place.

This.  I'm not the GM, so I have to be careful in what I say, but let's all be cool.

I've tried to take the foot off the pedal myself, merely because I'm making (bloody schoolboy) mistakes (and Lysi has to put up with all my metacrap) - but that could also be down to the fact I've been very ill for four weeks (going on five).  That's what gets me to sleep at night anyway.

This game is very exciting opportunity to work together on something very special to our GM, and I know we're all trying to help the best we can, but let's take it easy.

:thumbsup:

@MR - Thank you for the wise words. I'm like Cool like Fonzy.

Edit: Post edited to remove negativity.

Edited by Machine God

But those Ratings shouldn't have run away. They are only at 15 Mag, even at 7.5 Mag (25% of 30 Mag) Disciplined troops don't automatically break. They should be pumping shotguns at Draak before he turns them into red mist, standing against the Heretic like the utter nutcases that they are!

Don't stress about it mate, the GM has mysterious ways (and possibly Necro too), but I am certain there will be more red gore to cake yourself in than could cover JMC Red Dwarf several times over...:D

With respect MG, they take a Break Test if they lose 25% in a turn. You killed 10 out of 30 Mag. 33.333%

And the simple fact is that even if they didn't fail the Break test, I would have run them out of the way anyway, because it made sense to do it.

I would have just made the fluff that the Stormtroopers ordered them to clear out so they could take a shot. They're not idiots.

The simple fact is that even if they didn't fail the Break test, I would have run them out of the way anyway, because it made sense to do it.

I would have just made the fluff that the Stormtroopers ordered them to clear out so they could take a shot. They're not idiots.

@Lysimachus - I agree. Amazingly I have just PM'ed you that same answer.

... but that could also be down to the fact I've been very ill for four weeks (going on five).  That's what gets me to sleep at night anyway...

Oh that sucks, all the best to get better.

Yes Mazer - Best wishes from me too. Tuck yourself up nice and snug in your Dark Angels Bathrobe.

From p212 of the Core Rulebook, we can regain cohesion by one of three methods:

(1) Individual Kill-Team members may spend Fate Points to restore cohesion at an exchange rate of one Fate Point per one point of cohesion.

(2) If the Kill-Team completes a mission objective.

(3) If the GM decides the Kill-Team has completed a particularly monumental task or there has been particularly good RP within the Kill-Team.

There are some items, such as a Deathwatch Tabard (traditionally a Black Templars or similar chapter trapping) which can restore bonus cohesion if particular requirements are met, but that's pretty much it.

Recovering Cohesion can only be done a few ways:

• Spending a Fate point towards Cohesion score
  • Accomplishing objectives
  • GM Fiat with regard to cohesion-based play (coming to the aid of a battle-brother etc)
  • Skills/Abilities given by special permission: Ultramarines Solo Mode for example.

Pretty much it.

Ninja'd by the Necronaut!

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I would just like to apologise to my Fellow Players for my actions.

I apologised to Lysimachus in a PM and he said that some of my posts could be seen as criticism's even if I hadn't meant them to be. He asked me to be more thoughtful of you lot.

I have edited a few of my recent posts to remove the negativity. I've not meant to be a jerk, but I've just been too eager to help out and improve things that I may not have realised what I had been doing. So I am sorry.

I will try and dial it down a bit.

Yep, armour histories, relics, etc etc. I think you can roll an Ultra out the door at Rank 1 with like, 13 Cohesion?

Did Matt Ward write this nonsense? Do other chapters actually like the Ultramarines (ignoring, of course, our illustrious lord and master, Commissar Molotov).

Edited by Necronaut

Hssst!  Speakest thou not of the Spiritual Liege, lest we get Captain Idaho in here, and we'll have bloody Ultras coming out of our ears!

I don't actually dislike Ultramarines personally (per se), and a good few Chapters do have decent relations with them, like the Imperial Fists, Salamanders, and Blood Angels.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Oh I like the Ultramarines just fine, and they have a lot of great successor chapters -- I just find the fact that all of the cohesion-boosting gear and abilities from the subsequent splat books (which can stack) all being in the Ultramarines's cache to be a little comical.

Yeah, we get it, these guys are great all-arounders and masters of logistics, and their space dad wrote the holy book of space violence, but come on! Mastery of logistics does not equal an ability to motivate people.

Edit: then again, maybe there is some sort of internal logic here that I'm overlooking...

Edited by Necronaut

Firstly, thanks MG, that's very gentlemanly of you. As we are talking publicly I'd like to clarify that 'jerk' definitely wasn't what I was suggesting and if it came across like that, I'd like to apologise too! :D

Further I'd say that the time and enthusiasm you put into this game and the effort to foster character interaction are very commendable, and I think I speak for everyone when I say we're happy to have you onboard!

Anyway, I'll draw a line under that subject and move on.

I think the question about Cohesion has been well answered, thanks all! But I was looking through the crb+Errata to find the answer myself, and it brought up a question in my mind that I'd like to ask the more experienced players too!

Squad Mode Abilities are generally either Sustained or Not Sustained, right?

If Sustained, once paid for they last the rest of the entire mission.

If Not Sustained, once paid for they last the rest of that Battle (so up to the end of Structured Time or something?) but then need to be paid for again if you go into a new fight? (Which is how I've always understood Bolter Assault to work?)

But… looking at the next few sentences of the Errata, it then lists several Abilities that it says are exceptions to the above, and that don't necessarily last as long. Most of them seem to be 'last for the rest of that character's turn' and then need to be paid for again if you want to use them in the next Round? This includes stuff like Bolter Assault and Furious Assault.

So is that how it should be played, that you have to pay your 3 Cohesion each time you want to perform a Bolter Assault?*

If not, can someone show me where I'm getting it wrong please? :D (I'm assuming the Errata is the right place to look rather than the crb or RoB, as it's the newest and an Errata for those 2 books?)

Edit: *if that is right, I will definitely be more generous about handing out Cohesion Points as a GM reward...

Edited by Lysimachus

But… looking at the next few sentences of the Errata, it then lists several Abilities that it says are exceptions to the above, and that don't necessarily last as long. Most of them seem to be 'last for the rest of that character's turn' and then need to be paid for again if you want to use them in the next Round? This includes stuff like Bolter Assault and Furious Assault.

It does look like those were specifically errated to reduce multiple actions.

Other non-sustained abilities (such as tank buster) were not included.

So is that how it should be played, that you have to pay your 3 Cohesion each time you want to perform a Bolter Assault?*

Yes.

Edit: then again, maybe there is some sort of internal logic here that I'm overlooking...

Yes.

Ultramarines live longer with Calgar

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Players can give Fate Points towards Cohesion or use powers or abilities that do the same thing, like Mazers Dark Angels ability that he tried to use a bit too early. 

The DW Living Errata does say that Cohesion Points can even rise above the initial amount generated.