'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

Ok, axe attack made (if that door is not down I will both be confused and will edit), and also threw the photon flash grenade, missed, oh well.

I assume structured time is about to begin. In case it is relevant Brynjars squad mode allows us to move and act through each other in confined spaces, so if there is a densely packed corridor or such behind the door might be useful.

Excellent, door is open!

I'm out for another hour or 2, but when I get in I will update and move you through the breach onto the bridge!

Seems you have a few options re: Squad Modes, AT's (although it's fluffed as a psychic effect) might also be beneficial?

Cohesion may be the issue- remember you can spend fate points to add Cohesion to the pool!

I'm happy to contribute a point or two towards Odysseus' squad mode if that helps.

Though depending on how frequently we get them back I need to hold onto a couple for emergency perils of the warp rerolls :p

Edited by A.T.

The current mode with its +5 to our test is useful in a general sense, so I am inclined to say we keep it going unless circumstances mean that a different one is needed. Right now we don’t know what we will find behind the door, so let’s wait and see.

Excellent post, with a lot for us to chew through.

Just as a note: Space Marines do not count as hulking targets due to the Black Carapace - this is on p.37 of the CRB.

However, all of the enemies firing due to surprise will gain +30 to hit (p.235, CRB) which could result in a few extra degrees of success for some of the burst-fire you've done.

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Just as a note: Space Marines do not count as hulking targets due to the Black Carapace - this is on p.37 of the CRB.

However, all of the enemies firing due to surprise will gain +30 to hit (p.235, CRB)

Crud. I knew I'd forget something... thanks Mol! :)

Well, as it's already done, to keep my life easy we'll say all the hits are still hits, and all the misses are still misses (pretty sure that works in the team’s favour overall?)

Fair enough!

Team: I would definitely encourage Brynjarr or Vesalius to call for a Bolter Assault; allowing us to act out-of-turn and to pile pressure on our foes is likely going to be instrumental here. Frag Grenades are 2D10+2, Pen 0 against the Provosts' TB3 and Armour 6 - so each will get 5 chances of rolling 8+ on 2D10+2. Alternately, stripping dodges from enemies might be important here.

So, Rites of Battle (p.226) says this:

When activating a Squad Mode ability that is Sustained, the Cohesion cost is only paid once per mission; after the cost has been paid, the Sustained ability may be freely used by any Battle-Brother in the Kill-team (provided he is in Squad Mode) for the duration of the mission.

When activating a Squad Mode ability that is not Sustained, the Cohesion is paid once per combat; after the cost has been paid, the Non-sustained ability may be freely used by any Battle-Brother in the Kill-team (provided he is in Squad Mode) for the duration of the combat. The cost must be paid again if a Battle-Brother wishes to activate the ability again in another combat.

Bolter Assault (page 221): This ability only lasts for the duration of the Battle-Brother’s turn instead of the full combat.

In this combat, you could spend 3 Cohesion and a free action to activate Bolter Assault:

Bolter Assault - Will cost 3 Cohesion (Free Action):

When the Battle-Brother calls a Bolter Assault, both he and those in Support Range may make an immediate Charge Move and a Standard Attack with a bolter, bolt pistol, or storm bolter (including variants of these weapons). Alternatively, they may use their Standard Attack to throw a grenade.

The Errata says this:

“The Battle-Brother may choose to stop sustaining an ability (possibly to activate a new Squad Mode ability or benefit from another active Squad Mode ability) as a Free Action at the start of any of his Turns... a Battle-Brother may only sustain or benefit from one Squad Mode ability at a time.”

The strictest interpretation of the rules is that Kai can't take part in the Bolter Assault because he's sustaining Lead By Example. In the previous combat, because I was at the start of the turn sequence, I could finesse things.

So, you could call a Bolter Assault and then all other members of the squad could participate (aside from Kai) but that will enable you all to have +5 to all tests in the turn - that includes Dodges, for example.

Your turn would look like this:

- Your Free Action: Bolter Assault

---- Bolter Assault Actions (not benefiting from Lead by Example)

---- Kill-Team's Bolter Assault Actions (excl. Kai) (not benefiting from Lead by Example)

---- Bolter Assault Ends

- Your Turn (benefiting from Lead by Example)

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Thank you for the explanation, as always it is just a tad more complicated than I though it is, but good to know I remembered the general gist correctly. 

Well, if you are happy for Kai to keep sustaining Lead by Example and not take part in Bolter Assault then I will do as proposed.

Edit: I guess I will also trade a fate point to add 1 cohesion point (assuming that I remebered that correctly)  if i am about to spend 3. 

Edited by Trokair

OK, post updated with initial actions.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370180-to-plunder-the-stars-themselves-episode-1/?p=5708199

Are we doing action in order, or as in the previous engagement we all post and Lysimachus will slot it in as needed?

Related to that, and if the former should I do Brynjarr’s normal action now or wait until everybody who can has done their bolter assault?

As far as I can see, that looks exactly right! (although as usual I would not be surprised if I was wrong... :P)

I think maybe we should try to keep things in order, as it's a little more complex this fight?

But joining the Bolter Assault is a free for all, so anyone can join it and post in any order? Then when everyone who wants to join has done so, we'll come back for Brynjarr's regular Actions?

...I think(?) that makes sense...

Excellent stuff!

@Necronaut: I love that he's taking it personally and going after the guy that wounded him! :lol: Small point that the TP has Unnatural Toughness so his TB is 10, not 5?

@AT: Again, small point of correction but the HB shots were in the Surprise Round not Round 1, so (if I understand right) you don't get to try and Dodge them?

Edit: or if I'm wrong there, then everyone should have got the chance to Dodge...?

Cool. Actually, I think we only need Decimus' contribution (if any?) to the Bolter Assault (as Kai isn't taking part) then we can go back to Brynjarr... so if you want to role those Actions I think you can go ahead?

@AT: Again, small point of correction but the HB shots were in the Surprise Round not Round 1, so (if I understand right) you don't get to try and Dodge them?

I was under the impression it was an overwatch round - not sure that anyone would be particularly surprised by defenders on the bridge.

I was under the impression it was an overwatch round - not sure that anyone would be particularly surprised by defenders on the bridge.
Had to look up how Overwatch works... :P

I suppose I could let everyone make some Dodge rolls, but you'd all have to take Hard Pinning Tests too... up to you if taking the wounds is better than Half Actions and -20 BS...?

Edit: As we've already moved on, I'll shove my GM hat on and say leave it as Surprise rather than changing everything, hope that's cool with everyone.

Excellent stuff!

@Necronaut: I love that he's taking it personally and going after the guy that wounded him! :laugh.: Small point that the TP has Unnatural Toughness so his TB is 10, not 5?

Adjusted Vesalius's damage output for round 1.