'To Plunder the Stars Themselves' OOC Thread

Lysimachus

Well that raises a further question: does Bolter charge merely allow everyone else to just act out of their turn order, or is it effectively a freebie bonus action that you can take and then act as normal?

As I understand it, the latter? Vesalius (or whoever) calls it as a Free Action, then everyone in Squad Mode gets a free Charge move and a bolter shot/grenade throw, then you go back to Vesalius for his regular Actions, followed by the rest of the team?

Does anybody have any idea as to which squad I should attempt to grenade with my bolter charge action?

Also, can those heavy bolter turrets traverse upwards?

I'm a bit worried about getting caught in the open by those bolter turrets, but I'm pretty sure that the two charge moves with jump pack and low-g give me enough range to charge either horde when it comes to my turn. Given how early in the turn I'm going I don't want to mess up lines of fire for the rest of the squad either.

Edited by Beren

(managed to get this into the correct thread after three tries...)

With regards to bolter damage vs hordes - explosive weapons only do one extra hit overall, not one extra damage per hit.

However the hordes size will grant a +30 bonus to hit (and therefore potential for more hits)

------------

Those with jump packs may want to move quickly on the second group as marines without may struggle to reach them even with two activations of bolter assault.

Yeah, the Traveller can't participate in the bolter assault because he's sustaining Lead by Example. However, if I call a bolter assault, I can stop Lead by Example, carry out the bolter assault and then reactivate Lead by Example.

Two notes:

- None of the Battle-Brothers can benefit from Lead by Example whilst performing their Bolter Assault;

- Per p.235 of the CRB, Battle-Brothers receive a +30 to BS and WS tests against Surprised targets.

Ooh, good points, thanks Mol! So that overall change of +25 certainly won't have caused any hits to miss, but some misses might be hits! Off the top of my head, Vesalius' first grenade maybe?

Edit: Yep, it will hit, so we need 5 Damage rolls there. Based upon rolls so far, those extra 5 hits might be enough to wipe out Horde 2, so Brynjarr and Decimus might want to target Horde 1 instead (or even start on the turrets?)

Oh, also re: Righteous Fury, I think its reasonable to keep the rules effect, but maybe justify it differently narratively. Lucky shot, or someone out there is looking out for you... it's just not the Big E!!

Oh, also re: Righteous Fury, I think its reasonable to keep the rules effect, but maybe justify it differently narratively. Lucky shot, or someone out there is looking out for you... it's just not the Big E!!

I meant more to confirm whether Righteous Fury auto-confirms against members of Von Caeryd's forces. You've given us the Hatred of Authority ability, which auto-confirms Righteous Fury against members of the Imperial Adepta.

I meant more to confirm whether Righteous Fury auto-confirms against members of Von Caeryd's forces. You've given us the Hatred of Authority ability, which auto-confirms Righteous Fury against members of the Imperial Adepta.
Oh, derp, of course! Yeah, I think you're right, you'd be hard pressed to consider them Imperial, you'd have to make the second Hit roll?

Edit: Ok, added Decimus' hits to the Summary, Horde 2 is down to 2 Mag remaining, and Horde 1 is down to 5. And we still have Dam to roll from Vesalius first grenade and Brynjarr's Bolter Assault and regular attacks. So we might not even need Round 1 to stop the alarm being raised!

Edit edit: Of course, in Round 1 you'll want to disable those turrets before they get a chance to fire, as a twin-linked HB is not to be sniffed at! One thing I forgot to mention in the pre-battle set up, if you hit the turrets in CC I'll say they count as Armour 0, representing that it's easy to reach under and start pulling bits off, cables out, etc.

Placeholder updated:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370180-to-plunder-the-stars-themselves-episode-1/?p=5714865

Also reread some of the post I just scimmed during the week when I was short on time, looks like there is more to Holger then we noticed.

I have also done the rolls for the bolter assault action

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/370180-to-plunder-the-stars-themselves-episode-1/?p=5715994

Before I take the normal action I just wanted to check that it was all in order. Specifically, do I still get the size benefit to hit at that point in time or have the others devastated them to much? If I don’t get it I think I miss.

Secondly, while I tried to account for everybody else’s position I have a feeling I may have been throwing that frag grenade through another play, which would not work I guess.

Edited by Trokair

That all looks fine, in my head the Bolter Assault all happened simultaneously at the start of the Round so you all definitely get the bonus to Hit at that point.

And I wouldn't worry about shooting through other players, the scale of the map is quite large so a couple of you could be in the same square? Plus Grenades go up and over anyway!

So in that case Horde 1 is now wiped, and Horde 2 has 2 Mag left but with Vesalius first Grenade hitting might be wiped too. In which case we can start Round 1 and you just need to hit the HB turrets. (In case anyone missed it, I edited into my last post that the turrets are easier to disable in CC, so that might be worth considering?)

Edit: Oh actually Brynjarr still has his regular Actions, so you can start on the turrets already (or move up so hitting them is easier...?)

Thanks.

As I can’t see horde two, and they may be dead anyway, I’ll use my normal action to move some more to get into a better position to deal with HB turrets.

Post also updated with normal actio nand a bit of fluff.

Here’s a thought, how do the HB turrets know not to attack the guards we just killed? If it is some kind of signal/transmitter carried by the guards maybe we can pick some up.

Edited by Trokair

Hmm, thats a clever idea... I guess that is how they'd do it, but would you want to take the time to stop and look through their stuff for it while the guns are still active?

Pick up a body that is mostly intact and see if that works?

I just thought that it might buy us time to cover the ground as the HB servitor swirl back and forth trying to find a clear target amongst the ignore this target signals. Especily if we move through hthe ground formally occupied by the Guards, scattered transmitters on the ground might provide enough interference that it can’t spot us.

Also, assuming that the transmitter also tells outer automated defenses to ignore personal, once we have dealt with the HB we could then get one each and move around the station with automated defenses ignoring us.

Yeah, that does make sense... OK, cool. I was sort of imagining that Svelk at least would have the range to hit either of the turrets in Round 1 anyway, but that seems a valid way for the rest of you to get to the hatch? And as you say, it would protect you from any interior automated defences...

Actually, if you go through the fallen, you might also find a body that has enough life left in it to be interrogated, which I think somebody might have mentioned before...?

Excellent! Well, the Hordes are dead. Do you want to go into Round 1, or shall we take Tro's clever suggestion of using your movement to grab crewmen bodies/idents so that the servo skulls will consider you 'friendlies', in which case we might as well move back to narrative time to enter the base?

If you do wish to move back to Narrative, you also need to decide whether to do anything about the orbital defences? Destroying them would raise the alarm, which you've avoided so far, but would also mean that you might get some support as you penetrate the station further?